Coptic Organ Liturgy

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hi! I am newly registered here. My (user) name is Timos. I've been to this site many times but never registered before now. My condolences go out to the famiyl and friends of the New Jersey victims. I am from Toronto, Canada.

Myquestion is this: I was talking to my Coptic priest and he told me that in some Coptic Orthodox churches in Cairo and Alexandria they have liturgies with the deacons or a choir singing with the organ in the background and I was wonderign if it was on this site or if anyone knew where I could ehar it or get it??? Thanks a lot,
Timos

Comments

• Oh yeah ,sorry for my horrible misspelling...I was in a rush, lol :)
  • welcome to the site Timos!

about the organs......unfortunately, i have no idea what you're talking about...lol

perhaps you'll find help from other users here!

take care and God bless
  • Timos,

I believe the churches you make reference to are in "Masr El-Gedida". Although I do not have the exact name. They also have liturgies in English for the Coptic (khawaga) expatriots who are living or studying in Egypt as well as for foreigners.

At the Coptic Orthodox Church of St. Mark in Jersey City--NJ, the organ was utilized in accompaniment to the chants during the tenure of (the reposed) Very Rev. Fr. Gabriel Abdelsayed--hegumen. It was utilized during the two major Feasts of Our Lord: The Resurrection and The Nativity. This was from 1970 to 1993. The period from Sept 5, 1981 to Jan 5 1985 the organ was not utilized out of regard for the internal exile of His Holiness Pope Shenouda III to the Monastery of St. Bishoy in the Western Desert under President Anwar Sadat.

Sadly, that 105 year old organ was destroyed and thrown in the garbage. The reasons cited were twofold: its presence was cumbersome, and it was "protestant".

I still haven't figured out how an instrument can be protestant. I believe it was a beautiful accompaniment and it made for an even more joyous celebration. Our Divine Liturgy is beautiful and when rendered with its sacred movements, it's inspiring and uplifting to the spirit to the level of Heaven. The instruments we utilize should be a helpful vehicle to that aim. Our roots in worship is in the pharaonic example with the use of instrument accompaniment which is survived by the cymbals and triangle that are used. There are plenty of examples in the Coptic Museum (in Old Cairo) of other instruments that have been utilized.

N.B.: The Ethiopian (Tewahido) Orthodox Church, our full Sister Church, with which we are in Communion, utilizes: drums, bells, umbrellas, and dancing to express their joyful tunes.

I believe our Divine Liturgy to be exceptionally beautiful, but requires more respect in its rendering with better preparation. The chants should not be ad hoc or "learn as you go". As I have noticed at times. They require a certain discipline for the true meanings to be highlighted in the musical chanted renditions. Many times foreigners are turned off by our Liturgies because of the cacophony and the nasal intonation as a copy from elements in Arab culture. We are not Arab and should not emulate any of these distractions.

There is a book, which I recently purchased, that has the inscribed musical notes for the entire Divine Liturgy. It is in my main library in New Jersey. Unfortunately, due to the snow blizzard, I am stuck in Connecticut where I spend most of the week. If you are interested in the citation of this book let me know.

If you are musically inclinded, you may utilize these musical notations in the book to make Liturgical renderings.

As David the Prophet and King says: "Praise the Lord..."

• You may contact the Book store at the Coptic Orthodox Church of St. Mark in Jersey City, NJ for any copies of the Liturgies in the time frame cited:

Coptic Orthodox Church of St. Mark
    427 West Side Avenue
    P.O. Box 4397
    Jersey City, NJ 07304

tel: 201-333-0004
    fax: 201-333-0502 or

www.saintmark.com
  • Thank you so much CrazyCopt and Ilove St. Mark for your very helpful info! God bless!
    Tim
  • Oh yeah, dear IloveSt. Mark, I am musically inclined to an extent and I have been trying to make organ and choir renditions on my keyboard but its hard since some fo the chants are not on the same scale as the Western scale. I wouldn't mind knowing the details. Again, thanks a lot. I was also wondering if this website had any liturgies with the organ in it. God bless,
    Tim
  • Send me a note on my e-mail (this will be an easier reminder), and when I am in New Jersey I will send you the citation for that given book.

The two Liturgies for Fr. Gabriel on the site do not have organ accompaniment. I have a friend in Chicago who lived for two years in Egypt as part of a Company assignment, he may be able to give me a specific church name in Egypt.
  • Timos,

I just got off the phone with my friend in Chicago. I have the following leads.

English Liturgies: St. Mary (Ard El-Golf). The Very Rev. Fr. Abraam Sleman (current pastor and successor to Fr. Gabriel at St. Mark in Jersey City) was originally ordained there and may be a help. Incidentally, he is also from the Fayyum life Fr. Gabriel and Fr. Abraam's Father of Confession was Abouna Matta, who was Fr. Gabriel's biological father.

St. George in Heliopolis--Egypt has been cited by H.G. Bishop Moussa for the beautiful use of this instrument. Heliopolis is a portion of "Masr El-Gedida" so that is where I think would be your best bet to check.

• Hey I luvSt.Mark, I will do as you asked me to. Incidentaly, my mom went to St. George Coptic Orthodox church in Heliopolis when she was a child. Fr. Yohanna is the priest these if I'm not mistaken and his daughter Salwa is also very involved in church life. Please pray for her. God bless,
    Timos
  • Timos,

I contacted my brother in NJ and asked him to read of the pertinents for the book.

The Coptic Orthodox Liturgy of St. Basil
    With Complete Musical Transcription

Compiled by: Ragheb Moftah
    Music Transcription by: Margit Toth
    Text Edited by: Martha Roy

Put out by the American University in Cairo Press under the auspices of the St. Mark Foundation for Coptic History

ISBN 977 424 437 0

I had gotten my copy when I was visiting my friend in Chicago and we had attended the Divine Liturgy at St. Mary in Chicago.
  • Thanks a lot for your help IluvSt.Mark. I'll email you sometime so we can just chat some more. God bless!