Ask a Coptic Word

2»

Comments

• [quote author=ophadece link=topic=10808.msg148771#msg148771 date=1323375443]
    Dear Aegyptian,
    1- Qen `pasai means "through THE greatness" (did you mean Qen pekasai)?. However, the exact meaning is "through the abundance"; "through the multitude", etc.
    2- Literally = "She started before (them) namely Mariam".
    3- "be pleased" - je p[c na]ma] = for the Lord is pleased ...
    4- sari e is some sort of a Coptic phrasal verb, pretty much like the usage of cmou e. na<ymi is the plural of va<ymi, which is I believe (may someone correct me if I am wrong) is another expression for nirem`n<ymi
    5- Firstly, in our low state (not estate). Anyway, the verb is er`vmeui that is er verb forming prefix (on its own in the affirmative form is iri, meaning do or make), and `v meaning "the", and meui meaning memory, or mention - so literaly it is "do the remembrance (or mentioning)". aferpenmeui simply means "He did our remembrance (or mentioning), i.e. remembered us in simple English.
    6- niben means "every" and it comes after the noun. tyr= means all, and it also comes after the (modified) noun, if it needs to be plural it is.
    Oujai Qen `p[c

Thanks for your explanation my brother ophadece.

with 1 I meant:

1) Qen `p`asai `nte pek`wou.
    I think Qen pek`asai doesn't work as it would mean, through your abundance/multitudes?
  • The former would be "in, or through, the multitude of your power"..
    Oujai
  • Small question about a verse from the Psali Watos for Great Lent:

+ Uc pimet`cnau `n`apoctoloc@ auhi`wis qen `vran `et`cmarwout@ hiten pi`slyl nem ]nyctia@ autounoc nirefmw`out.

+ Behold the twelve apostles, preached in the blessed name, through prayer and fasting, they raised the dead.

I understand why it's

au

But not why it ends with:

oc

Isn't nirefmw`out a plural, wherefore we need autounou
  • No.. donoc here is a verb on its own (or a variant) as in akdonosdan... the other way would be audonow, but that would only mean they raised, as this is an irregular verb that replicates the pronoun as a prefix and a suffix at the same time, like akdonk, you rose (ie not a transitive verb despite a suffixed pronoun), and afshanaf
    Oujai
  • As Ophadece said, twoun and tounoc are different verbs. They are related in meaning. I think you would use twoun when you are talking about physically rising and toun when you are talking abstractly as in "to cause to open" or "cause to awaken".

Secondly, you wouldn't use the pronominal form of the verb if you the object of the verb is already mentioned. In other words, aftwounou would mean, "he raised them" and you are not planning on telling us who "them" is. "them" may be already mentioned in a previous sentence. However, if you want to say, "he raised the books", where you are specifying the object, it would be aftwoun `enijwm. In the first instance, you are using the pronominal form. In the second instance you are using the transitive or infinitive form.

The phrase in the Batos Psali which currently is autounoc nirefmwout. It could be either autwoun `nnirefmwout or autwounou `nnirefmwout or autwounou or autenou if the root verb is twoun or twounou. If the root verb is tounoc, it could be autounoc `nnirefmwout or autounecou or autounocou.

There is a slight difference in meaning between the first four and the second three. The first four options imply physically raising specific dead people, the second set of three imply raising the abstract dead or raising the dead in general.

I hope I didn't confuse you.
  • twounou means arise in the command form as in  twounou epswi nisyri nte piouwini meaning Arise o children of light.