Quick Coptic Translation

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Nothing important, but does anyone know how to say "lion" in Coptic?
Or does anyone know a good website for translations

Comments

• [quote author=jfarag92 link=topic=10663.msg129977#msg129977 date=1297117534]
    Nothing important, but does anyone know how to say "lion" in Coptic?
    Or does anyone know a good website for translations

asad
  • it's the same as Arabic?
  • According to Crum's Coptic Dictionary the coptic word for lion is

B E L TH Omega N or (M Omega O Epsilon Iota)

(Sorry I had to write out the words for certain letters as they have more than one corresponding English letter)
  • Yes, the word is moui (pronounced 'movi' in GB and 'mowi' in OB)

Mu Omicron Epsilon Iota (m-o-u-i)

I can email you a PDF dictionary if you'd like, for any other translations.

God bless
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=10663.msg129991#msg129991 date=1297121538]
    Yes, the word is moui (pronounced 'movi' in GB and 'mowi' in OB)

Mu Omicron Epsilon Iota (m-o-u-i)
    I can email you a PDF dictionary if you'd like, for any other translations

Wouldn't it be "moo-ee"...
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10663.msg129992#msg129992 date=1297121919]

Ah yes you're right! My bad, in GB that is - 'moo-ee' - I forgot that the epsilon is silent.

Which means that in OB it would be similar - mou-i (because the epsilon is silent here too and not pronounced as full 'w')
  • [coptic]bel;wn[/coptic]. This is the word "LION" while [coptic]moui[/coptic] is lioness.
  • According to my dictionary, moui is lion and miy is lioness. bel;wn is just a synonym I think.
  • [quote author=epchois_nai_nan link=topic=10663.msg130001#msg130001 date=1297122976]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10663.msg129992#msg129992 date=1297121919]

Ah yes you're right! My bad, in GB that is - 'moo-ee' - I forgot that the epsilon is silent.

Which means that in OB it would be similar - mou-i (because the epsilon is silent here too and not pronounced as full 'w')

well....i wouldn't call it silent but rather with the combination with "o", it would give the "oo" sound like "moon" and not like "more"
  • If there is any PDF dictionnary, can you PM it to me?
    God bless, Pray for me,
    Cyril