Orthodox Study Bible- MIX UP!!

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
In any bible you open Jeremiah 29:11 it says  "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

However, in The Orthodox Study Bible Jeremiah 29 only goes up to verse 7 ??!!! ???

Does anyone know why there is a mix up?

Comments

• THe OSB has spent a great deal of time working on the Old Testament because it actually incorporated the most accurate version of the bible- the septugaint- to the book. Therefore, many of the verses/chapters in the OSB do not correspond to the NKJV because they are entirely different. The Apocrypha is also in the OSB, something you will not find in the NKJV. This can be a good thing for some people, but a bad thing for others. It's good for people who understand why the OSB is compiled the way it is and read it to gain further spiritual knowledge through the writings of the church fathers on the bottom. However, if you are in a bible study, or a multidenominational bible study, it could be inconvenient since many verses don't match up.

PK
  • many OSBs have a section at the front when they list the different numbering systems for the book of jeremiah. if yours doesn't have one, i'm sure the publisher will email you one for free.
    unfortunately when there are references to jeremiah in the new testament, they use the masoretic text numbering, so the easiest thing is to go and get another translation, work out roughly which story in jeremiah it is and then flick through the septugaint text (as in OSB) to find the corresponding bit of jeremiah.
    it took me quite a while to work it out!
  • Thank you PopeKyrillos and mabsoota, that was very helpful.

At first i thought that my bible was missing a section, but then i lloked at another OSB and it was the same. I was unaware of the different numbering systems, so thank you.
    PPFM
  • Hi! I know I'm late, but I'm really confused. Just now I was looking at Jeremiah 33 (chapter 40 in OSB), and the OSB is missing like 1/2 of the chapter? Is that accurate? I'm really confused about the reliability of the OSB right now. 
  • it is from the septuagint and very, very reliable. if you doubt it, it is like saying you think cocoa is fake because it does not taste sweet like chocolate!
    you are used to the massoretic text, but the septuagint is closer to the old testament quoted by our Lord Jesus.

much of chapter 33 is already written in chapter 23, so the septuagint is not missing anything.
    happy new year
    :)
  • Thank you mabsoota! :) Another question is regarding the accuracy annotations. For example in the OSB "Mary the mother of James and Joses" (Matthew 27:56) is said to be also the Mother of Jesus, and the "stepmother" of James and Joses. But I have found other Orthodox websites that identify "Mary the mother of James and Joses" as the same person as "Mary the wife of Clopas". (John 19:25) Im not really sure which is right.