Memory and Attention

13»

Comments

• I'll also try to. It'll be a challenge especially with my awful memory but hopefully God will bless my efforts :).
  • I was working on the Gospel of St. John, but I will join in the competition here. Its great because no matter what, we all win!
  • I remember as a child in Egypt, memorization was huge. My grandmother would sit and say the psalms and prayers, and we'd repeat after her. Since she taught us them in arabic and to this day, I pray the psalms she taught me in arabic. She starting teaching me the thanksgiving prayer before I left Egypt, and by the time a picked up learning it again, I'd become more comfortable in English. I must be very weird to listen to--half arabic, half english.

I guess my answer to your question is that our method was repetition and oral. Its effective. I learned these things just under 20 yrs ago, and I can still recall them perfectly.
  • I commend and ask God's blessing on all who seek to memorise Scripture for their salvation, and especially those seeking to memorise the Gospel of St Mark.

It is not a competition, because I would lose! But it is an opportunity to gain a great blessing. And I am very interested in discovering if most modern western people have poor memory only because of lack of use.

Father Peter
  • Status update?
  • No status update. Alrighty.

I'll just assume either everyone's finished memorizing the Book of St. Mark or everyone forgot.

Father Peter, you're supposed to be checking up and reminding us!

I should get paid for doing your job. I'll accept 10% of whatever the Coptic Church gives BOC priests.

I can try to grow a beard and get a black faragaya (what's it called in English?) and change my first name to "Abouna" and last name to "Peter" so you can rest a little (or get other work done). People will never see the difference.