Gaining Respect from my Sunday School Students

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hello everyone,

I serve a 3rd grade Sunday School class at my church with another servant. I am 18 years old and the other servant is 19.  We have about 4 or 5 students that come regularly and we seem to have a hard time gaining their respect and attention.  They misbehave and yell and scream at each other for maybe 60-70% of the time in class (1 hour).  We try to teach them with love and care but they just basically walk all over us.  They don't care what we have to say and I have even resorted to temporarily removing a student from the class.  We try to teach them as much as we can but they just continue to misbehave and talk as if we're not even speaking.  At the end of the class only maybe 2 of the students can tell us what the lesson was about but without many details. They don't even respect the 2 minutes of prayer time at the end of the class and they continue to talk regardless of what we tell them.  But sometimes one of the older servants of the church walks into the class and the kids immediately start behaving and they pay attention to the lesson for a few seconds. But once the older servant walks out of the class they continue to talk and scream as if nothing happened.

All I ask is if anyone has any advice for me and my fellow Sunday School servants who are struggling.  Thank You and pray for me and my students.

Comments

• I sympathize with you, but I don't have very much advice for you. Have you told Abouna? Maybe you could try to build a relationship with them and the other students by something like a short game that encourages fellowship and getting to know one another. Also, the kids must learn that  there is a time to play and a time for the class. Perhaps if the kids have time to play together (apart from Sunday school), they will be less disruptive during the lesson. What I mean to say by all of this is simply that if you have a relationship with the children, they will be mroe likely to respect you. Maybe sometimes you could speak with them about things they are concerned about. Find new, different approaches to teaching the same lesson. Try to think of ways for the students to be more involved-- if they can act out the lesson, or make up some game that would help them learn it, etc. Maybe you could also consult older servants in your church who might have some better advice for you than I do (I'm about your age). I teach younger kids than you and for the younger ones, sometimes a motivation helps as well (for the little ones, something as simple as a sticker can make a big difference sometimes). But as the Pope said in one of his books before, that if the children don't respect and even love you, they are not likely to benefit from you (Have you read It happened that night? in H.H.'s book release of the spirit?)

I wish I had more advice to give you. I'm not sure if anything I've said is helpful in any way, but when I read what you wrote, my heart went out to you.

I'll be praying for you and your class.
  • You pretty much answered your own question.. try asking if you can get an older servant to teach (or supervise) your class. I also recommend trying to toughen up. It seems they dont listen because they're not scared of you (not saying that they should be.. but they should fear you somehow). Yell at them, threaten them, punish them.. sorry if I sound harsh, but this should be done in every sunday school class. The teachers should be respected, and if they're not then you are being too much of a push-over. Show your kids that your the boss.. if they talk then don't give the lesson. Tell them we are going to stay here until your quiet, I'm not gonna start until EVERYONE is quiet. That usually works, because they want to get out early. If you still have trouble then talk to the parents of the kids. Tell them their child is being disruptive in class and you don't know what to do with them. Most parents will be shocked b/c they think their child is the most perfect thing ever, so when you tell them they'll realize and punish the kid.. sometimes.

And don't forget to be fun too.. not too strict, not too much of a softy. Games every now and then, candy, ice-cream.. all this attracts their attention.

One other thing.. ask them what they want to hear in sunday school. Topics that interest them. What do they want to do? They'll more likely listen to those!

Hope that helped shwaya
    Peace.
  • ~~Have you told Abouna?
    I don't know what I would say to Abouna because he is very strict against kids who misbehave.

~~try asking if you can get an older servant to teach (or supervise) your class.
    That scenario isn't reasonable in my situation. The older servant goes around to all of the classes to help and it would not be fair to ask him to stay with just my class.  And btw there are other classes that behave just as bad or even worse.

Thank You for all of your advice so far.

Pray for me and my students.
  • hi, i used to help out in a class with a lot of 3-7 year olds and i found discipline v hard too. what i learnt from the other teachers is u have to keep changing what you do every 5 minutes for under 7s and every 10-15 mins for 7-11s. so we used to start with running around and play time for 10 mins as they had already been sitting still for about 20mins in church, then a special song we always played when it was time to help tidy up, then 10 mins of some craft activity, like colouring a Bible story, then singing for 5 mins then saying a quiet prayer, then 5 more mins of singing, then 5 mins of 'story-time' (preaching at their level) then 5 mins of loud singing with actions then 5 to 10 mins of more play and running around if you have more time at the end.
    when they get unruly, have some routine, like, be quiet now, hands on your head, now fold your arms, now turn around, now lets see who is the first person to be sitting down quietly? they would all go back to mum and dad with a picture of the Bible story we had discussed. (we would do drama to act out the story or use puppets etc.) after this they were quite calm. we were exhausted but the kids loved sunday school so much they would trust us with their personal problems etc.
    obviously you need to change these ideas a bit with older children.
    i think the most important thing is to pray for every child in your class a least once in the week by name and to spend as much time preparing to do the 'story' as if you were preaching to the whole congregation (like more than a couple of hours).
    being a children's teacher is equally as important as being a priest, hmm, maybe we all need more training in this!
  • Unfortunately the parents of these kids are the ones to blame. They fail to teach them how to behave around others and respect others.  I see this kind of behaviour in church and it really disappoints me when the parents don't do anything to discipline their kids.  

Maybe you can try by making Sunday school a fun experience.  Try to involve them as much as possible and have them contribute to the class, more of an interactive thing.  If the weather is good maybe have it outdoors.  Ask them what sort of things they would like to do, get their feedback on what they like and dislike.  

• [quote author=Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc link=topic=7610.msg99914#msg99914 date=1233540750]
    You pretty much answered your own question.. try asking if you can get an older servant to teach (or supervise) your class. I also recommend trying to toughen up. It seems they dont listen because they're not scared of you (not saying that they should be.. but they should fear you somehow). Yell at them, threaten them, punish them.. sorry if I sound harsh, but this should be done in every sunday school class. The teachers should be respected, and if they're not then you are being too much of a push-over. Show your kids that your the boss.. if they talk then don't give the lesson. Tell them we are going to stay here until your quiet, I'm not gonna start until EVERYONE is quiet. That usually works, because they want to get out early. If you still have trouble then talk to the parents of the kids. Tell them their child is being disruptive in class and you don't know what to do with them. Most parents will be shocked b/c they think their child is the most perfect thing ever, so when you tell them they'll realize and punish the kid.. sometimes.

And don't forget to be fun too.. not too strict, not too much of a softy. Games every now and then, candy, ice-cream.. all this attracts their attention.

One other thing.. ask them what they want to hear in sunday school. Topics that interest them. What do they want to do? They'll more likely listen to those!

Hope that helped shwaya
    Peace.

Yelling at them and threatening them is the worst thing you want to do, keep loving them and just try to do more activities. I taught a class for a short while and that got me no where. I'm not saying be completely lenient but give them a little space to be children. Like user00 said, they might only see each other once or twice a week so they just want to have fun with each other. They actually responded more to showing them love and acting as a friend. Don't be so strict that they can't laugh or have a little fun, remember they are children. When someone is out of line, instead of embarassing them, just sit with them after class and talk to him one on one to show that you are actually concerned about this ONE person. You have to realize that even if you only get to one kid in that class, thats at least one more person you have brought to Christ. You can't save all and forget about the ones who actually pay attention. Then they will see that you don't care about them and then they have no motivation to be good either. I do like the small reward system that user00 said. They are little kids so anything simple like chocolates or little toys or even a sticker will make a difference. Hope this helps

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness

• [quote author=ΙΙδιακον link=topic=7610.msg99926#msg99926 date=1233588390]
    [quote author=Tεκcoνι μέσα Πεχριcτoc link=topic=7610.msg99914#msg99914 date=1233540750]
    You pretty much answered your own question.. try asking if you can get an older servant to teach (or supervise) your class. I also recommend trying to toughen up. It seems they dont listen because they're not scared of you (not saying that they should be.. but they should fear you somehow). Yell at them, threaten them, punish them.. sorry if I sound harsh, but this should be done in every sunday school class. The teachers should be respected, and if they're not then you are being too much of a push-over. Show your kids that your the boss.. if they talk then don't give the lesson. Tell them we are going to stay here until your quiet, I'm not gonna start until EVERYONE is quiet. That usually works, because they want to get out early. If you still have trouble then talk to the parents of the kids. Tell them their child is being disruptive in class and you don't know what to do with them. Most parents will be shocked b/c they think their child is the most perfect thing ever, so when you tell them they'll realize and punish the kid.. sometimes.

Hope that helped shwaya
    Peace.

Yelling at them and threatening them is the worst thing you want to do, keep loving them and just try to do more activities. I taught a class for a short while and that got me no where. I'm not saying be completely lenient but give them a little space to be children. Like user00 said, they might only see each other once or twice a week so they just want to have fun with each other. They actually responded more to showing them love and acting as a friend. Don't be so strict that they can't laugh or have a little fun, remember they are children. When someone is out of line, instead of embarassing them, just sit with them after class and talk to him one on one to show that you are actually concerned about this ONE person. You have to realize that even if you only get to one kid in that class, thats at least one more person you have brought to Christ. You can't save all and forget about the ones who actually pay attention. Then they will see that you don't care about them and then they have no motivation to be good either. I do like the small reward system that user00 said. They are little kids so anything simple like chocolates or little toys or even a sticker will make a difference. Hope this helps

God Bless and Pray for me and my weakness

haha, stickers don't make much of a difference,  ΙΙδιακον. Anyways, these kids are taking advantage of their teacher. And if the teacher continues to be a softy and just play games to "make things better" then this will get the teacher no where. Actually they might lose the little respect they had from the children to begin with. Playing games, having fun and treats are all good when the kids ALREADY behave and respect the teacher. I still say you need to toughen up a bit on them. Trust me on this!

Peace.
  • First, you should be praying for your students because this is a very strong and powerful tool. You have to do this on a continous basis not just on a when you remember basis. In God's eyes you are responsible for these children and serve as their positive role model b/c unfortunately some of them may not have positive role models at home or not peaceful homes. As a sunday school teacher, I've had that problem and its really not easy to teach a class when you have a few class clowns or attention seekers. Usually there is a reason for these children acting out maybe they are seeking attention b/c they don't get it at home or maybe they have dysfuntional or problematic family lives. Try to build a friendship with these children not just a strict teacher/student role b/c believe it or not they teach you alot! Try to not make your lessons monotonous or boring. Try to make it fun and do different activities with the kids for them to stay interested. They are 3rd graders and an hour class is a long time for such young children. They have very limited attention spans so you have to be more forgiving and patient with them than other older age groups. Be supportive and understanding. I found that children respond better to a sunday school teacher they love and care about than someone who is just trying to be a "teacher" or as they see it a "dictator" upon them. Also, establish a rewards/punishment guideline in your class. Learn to reward good behavior and try to punish bad behavior. YOu need to set up boundaries for the children to respect and understand you. YOu can't be very nice one day and be very mean the next day. This will confuse them. Be consisten in dealing with the children. May God bless your service and help you speak to these children of God.
  • [quote author=egyboy link=topic=7610.msg99908#msg99908 date=1233534728]
    Hello everyone,

I serve a 3rd grade Sunday School class at my church with another servant. I am 18 years old and the other servant is 19.  We have about 4 or 5 students that come regularly and we seem to have a hard time gaining their respect and attention.  They misbehave and yell and scream at each other for maybe 60-70% of the time in class (1 hour).  We try to teach them with love and care but they just basically walk all over us.  They don't care what we have to say and I have even resorted to temporarily removing a student from the class.  We try to teach them as much as we can but they just continue to misbehave and talk as if we're not even speaking.  At the end of the class only maybe 2 of the students can tell us what the lesson was about but without many details. They don't even respect the 2 minutes of prayer time at the end of the class and they continue to talk regardless of what we tell them.  But sometimes one of the older servants of the church walks into the class and the kids immediately start behaving and they pay attention to the lesson for a few seconds. But once the older servant walks out of the class they continue to talk and scream as if nothing happened.

All I ask is if anyone has any advice for me and my fellow Sunday School servants who are struggling.  Thank You and pray for me and my students.

Hello,
    Well, first of all, I think it is good that you've asked for advice. That's a sign of humility and that you do in fact care about your class.

You must remember ONE thing though. There's a huge difference between a sunday school teacher and a school teacher. Although both teachers convey knowledge, a sunday school teacher is different:

He or she is different in that what you must convey is Christ's love. Not your personality. You must make them love Christ. Don't worry too much if they don't respect you, or listen to you. Make sure that you are longsuffering, and kind with them. Never hit them, and NEVER ask someone to leave for being naughty. Never do that.

We were in a similar role, and I can tell you, the naughiest kids in our sunday school class, those that made our lives HELL - are now priests and really good servants. We all had to patient with them. They used to take the cymbals from us and throw them on the floor. They used to hit us for trying to pray. We all endured them.

You must be longsuffering, but you will never reach your goal if you focus on "me". Your question has the "me" in it, which you need to remove when you decide on becoming a servant. You need to focus on Him (Christ). That's it. Don't think of yourself, nor if they respect you or not, nor if they love you or not. They are not really meant to love you - who said? They are meant to love Christ from you.

Pray for your class, but pray more that you can be an instrument of the Holy Spirit. That God works through you to enlighten the lives of these children.
  • Honestly the answer to your question is quite simple. Instead of being there Sunday school teacher, be there freind. Instead of always yelling at them, have fun with them. Try hanging out with them outside of the class so that you can have a personal relationship with each one of them. Slowly but surely you will begin to notice that you are gaining their respect.

I'm in a high school class (I'm a student), and i notice that some of our Sunday school teahers gain the respect of the class easily, while others struggle. The only difference is that some of the teachers act as friends and instead of always scolding us they try and have fun. Other teachers are always uptight, and by doing this they loose our respect by trying to display there authority.

Please keep this in mind. Its not a matter of who has more authority or if the servants are older, its a matter of respect. If they truly consider you as a friend, and not a teacher, you will begin to gain their respect very easily.

Hope that helped :)
  • [quote author=egypt112 link=topic=7610.msg99930#msg99930 date=1233608764]
    Try to not make your lessons monotonous or boring. Try to make it fun and do different activities with the kids for them to stay interested.

Hello again,
          We do try to make the class fun, but its hard to have fun with a class that obviously does not want to learn. And we do give them crossword puzzles every week and give them pictures of saints as prizes for them when they finish. So we actually try to have fun but nothing seems to keep them motivated, all they want to do is to yell at each other and run around.  We even acted out a few of the lessons but it didn't work very well.  It also seems like towards the beginning of the year when we first started serving this class, they had more respect for us than they do now and they actually listened to us for a little bit longer. So we tried to be friends with the kids and they just took advantage of the friendship. Thanks for all of the advice, I really appreciate it.

Pray for me and my students to love and serve the Lord.
  • Hey, I'm also 18 and teaching a class of 1st to 3rd graders, so I think I know what you're going through. The thing that works for me is that I bond with the kids during the liturgy and outside of sunday school. During the liturgy, if they happen to be serving in the Altar with me, I show them what to say, what to do, etc, and cheer them on even if they completely butchered the words (hey, I have my blunders too). After Sunday School, the kids split up and do different activities. Some go outside and play soccer or basketball, and some stay inside and play with their video game systems; I find that if you just go talk to them about whatever they're doing or join them in play, it makes them feel much more comfortable with you and will listen to you more if you ask them to do something...like being quiet in class or not kicking the other kid's chair haha. All I can say is, look out for them in all the church services and let them see that they can come to you whenever they're unsure of things. Bond bond bond, it's the only way they'll even think about listening to you in the future when they're in highschool (we all know how that is).
  • To be honest I can relate. I teach Gr. 1 and 2. and i have children who run around the classroom and who tend to all of a sudden get hyper-active and try to impress the other children. And they would be disrepectful when praying. I personally didn't mind it when they were "hyper" during the lesson. But when it came to prayers, I had to step my foot down. I wasn't harsh, but at the same time, i wasn't lenient. Something that worked for me was when I created a lesson out of their behaviour and began to teach them how to behave in the House of God. My whole lesson that day was on how to pray. we first mentioned the theory asspect of prayers, which the children mentioned themselves. (standing still, no talking, no laughing...etc.) Thus they understood the theory part. When it came to applying it to prayer, they began misbehaving. So i began to remind them that God is here and is looking at them.  Every time they would start moving or talking or laughing, i would have them start over. I also pointed out who was doing it correctly and began praising them for praying the right way until all of them got it.

I have stopped giving candy out because i find that giving the children candy everytime allows them to always expect candy every class. They get used to candy and if you dont give them candy you become the "mean" teacher. Instead I do arts and crafts with the children on occassions.

I used to kick children out of class for a couple of minutes for misbehaving but never after reading the following:

H.H. Pope Shenouda mentions a story in his book "The Release of the Spirit" Page 124-125.
    A conversation between the Angel and the Sunday school teacher:
    The Angel said:
    'There was a boy whom you dismissed from the Sunday Schools for his disobedience and for not following the discipline; this made him more obstinate and led him to the street and to wicked company.. Thus he became worse and many serious harms befell him due to your behaviour.. especially after he had lost guidance and care.. Certainly you were responsible for that because it was your responsibility,
    - I answered the angel, 'But sir, he used to interrupt the lesson and was a bad example for the others!"
    Here the angel replied bitterly,
    - 'Then, you dismissed him for that reason? Oh, you are poor! Did the Lord Jesus Christ send you to call the righteous, or the sinners, to repentance? ...

- I said to the angel imploring, 'What do you think I ought to have done for that boy?
    - He answered: 'You ought to have served him as far as you could.. to have examined his interior and dealt with him according to his state.. You ought to have prayed much for him.. and if you had done all this but it was useless, you ought not to have dismissed him but sent him to another class.. Perhaps another minister would have succeeded to achieve what you have failed to do.. If this solution had not been of any benefit, you could have allocated one or more classes for such naughty children where they could have had a special care according to their condition.. Such children ought to have been visited frequently and given sincere care making them near to your hearts.. and not dismissing them in any case..

GBU
  • [quote author=shybox link=topic=7610.msg99933#msg99933 date=1233621469]
    Honestly the answer to your question is quite simple. Instead of being there Sunday school teacher, be there freind.

I agree strongly with "of all nations"
    im a student in sunday school and i have found that sometimes my classmates are not always as behaving as they should be. but once we became friends with our teachers, and talked to them outside of class, and hung out with them, like when we went on a really fun and memorable camping trip, and got really close., once this happened, we felt compelled to give them our complete respect. sure every once in a while the class gets a bit out of hand, but we all have fun in the end. it seems like your students have some walls up, and you gotta break them down with friendlyness and love :) and prayer. but kids will be kids, there will be a "hyper" moment from time to time.  and the whole candy thing, i foudn that in my classes, its better if theres no candy, cause then its more about the answers then the reward. hope this helped. rabinah mahakoom
  • [quote author=Of All Nations link=topic=7610.msg99936#msg99936 date=1233635722]
    To be honest I can relate. I teach Gr. 1 and 2. and i have children who run around the classroom and who tend to all of a sudden get hyper-active and try to impress the other children. And they would be disrepectful when praying. I personally didn't mind it when they were "hyper" during the lesson. But when it came to prayers, I had to step my foot down. I wasn't harsh, but at the same time, i wasn't lenient. Something that worked for me was when I created a lesson out of their behaviour and began to teach them how to behave in the House of God. My whole lesson that day was on how to pray. we first mentioned the theory asspect of prayers, which the children mentioned themselves. (standing still, no talking, no laughing...etc.) Thus they understood the theory part. When it came to applying it to prayer, they began misbehaving. So i began to remind them that God is here and is looking at them.  Every time they would start moving or talking or laughing, i would have them start over. I also pointed out who was doing it correctly and began praising them for praying the right way until all of them got it.

I have stopped giving candy out because i find that giving the children candy everytime allows them to always expect candy every class. They get used to candy and if you dont give them candy you become the "mean" teacher. Instead I do arts and crafts with the children on occassions.

I used to kick children out of class for a couple of minutes for misbehaving but never after reading the following:

H.H. Pope Shenouda mentions a story in his book "The Release of the Spirit" Page 124-125.
    A conversation between the Angel and the Sunday school teacher:
    The Angel said:
    'There was a boy whom you dismissed from the Sunday Schools for his disobedience and for not following the discipline; this made him more obstinate and led him to the street and to wicked company.. Thus he became worse and many serious harms befell him due to your behaviour.. especially after he had lost guidance and care.. Certainly you were responsible for that because it was your responsibility,
    - I answered the angel, 'But sir, he used to interrupt the lesson and was a bad example for the others!"
    Here the angel replied bitterly,
    - 'Then, you dismissed him for that reason? Oh, you are poor! Did the Lord Jesus Christ send you to call the righteous, or the sinners, to repentance? ...

- I said to the angel imploring, 'What do you think I ought to have done for that boy?
    - He answered: 'You ought to have served him as far as you could.. to have examined his interior and dealt with him according to his state.. You ought to have prayed much for him.. and if you had done all this but it was useless, you ought not to have dismissed him but sent him to another class.. Perhaps another minister would have succeeded to achieve what you have failed to do.. If this solution had not been of any benefit, you could have allocated one or more classes for such naughty children where they could have had a special care according to their condition.. Such children ought to have been visited frequently and given sincere care making them near to your hearts.. and not dismissing them in any case..

GBU

But I said the same thing!

Listen, I'll say it again. Please do not EVER dismiss a child from sunday school. No matter what. Its not your house, it is the house of God. And secondly, you must make them love Christ, not your personality, not even you.

Don't worry about them if they don't even love you or give you the time of day.
    And then finally, if they are disrespectful when they pray, then may I suggest that you pray respectfully. Be an example.

A lot of Sunday School teachers think of themselves as Teachers. Unfortunately, this attitude is so self-righteous. You are NOT teachers, you are SERVANTS!!!!
    If you have a problem with being a servant, then you yourself need a sunday school servant.

I'm sorry for sounding harsh, but I'd prefer to be harsh with you, as a servant of the Church, rather than with the Children.

Also, bear in mind, you do not know the life of these kids at home. Do you pray for them? You should!

When I was young, I ended up in a foreign country at a young age, and it was the sunday school servants who made my life miserable. In fact, I regret even going to CHurch since I met them.

• Hello,

just to clarify, I only sent that child right outside about 3 feet away from the door of the classroom and I was standing at the door so he could still hear me and benefit from the lesson. I only told him to stand outside because I wanted him to just get away from the other kids so I could teach them something.  And also whenever I see these kids at Church, I usually go to talk to them and see how they are doing (the problem is that many of the kids that come to sunday school go to other churches for liturgy so i dont get a chance to talk with them as much as i could if they came to our church liturgy).

Thanks for all the advice. I will try harder to become a friend of my students but also be firm with them when needed.

Please pray for me and my students.
  • [quote author=egyboy link=topic=7610.msg99946#msg99946 date=1233706977]
    Hello,

just to clarify, I only sent that child right outside about 3 feet away from the door of the classroom and I was standing at the door so he could still hear me and benefit from the lesson. I only told him to stand outside because I wanted him to just get away from the other kids so I could teach them something.  And also whenever I see these kids at Church, I usually go to talk to them and see how they are doing (the problem is that many of the kids that come to sunday school go to other churches for liturgy so i dont get a chance to talk with them as much as i could if they came to our church liturgy).

Thanks for all the advice. I will try harder to become a friend of my students but also be firm with them when needed.

Please pray for me and my students.

Listen, I didnt give you the advice about being their friend. That was someone else. My advice for you is that you be their servant. Serve them. Don't teach them anything. Just serve them.

As for keeping them away from the other kids, it seems that you've changed the sunday school into a class for those with "no problems".

But the entire Church is for children with problems. You've focused on everyone else except for the child that actually PROBABLY needed you the most.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh with you, but you must understand, I had very bad sunday school teachers. They made my life miserable. Really miserable. And in some ways, this tends to remind me of them.
  • Yes I agree, i guess putting him outside the class was a bad idea but at that point of the class i was not even able to grasp their attention no matter how loud i yelled. So i guess I just didnt think about the consequences for the child.  I mean the things these kids do ye ganen el katkoot!!!

Thanks for the advice again and please pray for me and my class.
  • [quote author=egyboy link=topic=7610.msg99950#msg99950 date=1233715111]
    Yes I agree, i guess putting him outside the class was a bad idea but at that point of the class i was not even able to grasp their attention no matter how loud i yelled. So i guess I just didnt think about the consequences for the child.  I mean the things these kids do ye ganen el katkoot!!!

Thanks for the advice again and please pray for me and my class.

How old are they?
    Are they all boys? or mixed?

If they are around 10 to 15 years of age, and all boys, may i suggest that you start with some alhan.

You can teach them Apenchoise for the fasting period. Sing with them.
    Perhaps some would like to learn the symbals?
    The one that you threw out of the class - ask him what he likes? Does he prefer to read the Bible or sing or just pray from the agpeya. Ask him which of these 3 activities he enjoys the most.
    There's also something you could try that is really beneficial:
    Why not ask the kids in your class to learn the Pslams? The one learns the most off by heart gets a prize? I know some people may not agree with that. I'm exactly PRO prizes for learning stuff, but in some cases it works.. it turns out quite beneficial for everyone.

Above all, you are not their teacher. You are their servant.
  • They are in 3rd grade so i guess they are about 7 or 8 years old, they are boys and girls.
  • thats a tough age  :)
  • [quote author=egyboy link=topic=7610.msg99964#msg99964 date=1233803637]
    They are in 3rd grade so i guess they are about 7 or 8 years old, they are boys and girls.

Dude,
    That is the BEST age!!
    At that age, kids always tell you what their problems are. You just have to listen to them. In fact, at the age of 7 or 8, all they do is tell you what they've heard. If they are in a environment at home that has no love nor peace, they'll make it known to you by what they say and what they do. The older someone gets, the more good they are at hiding problems. The younger they are, the more good they are at reflecting the problems they've had.

So, if some kid is swearing a lot, it is most likely that they have friends etc that may swear often, or perhaps their parents could be aggressive at home and use bad language. Either way, by just listening to them, you would know exactly what they need.
  • yeah, kids are amazing.
    once a 4 year old kid told me some stuff she saw between her parents which was not too positive, i was just chilling after dars kitaab (Bible study) and started playing with these kids and she just opened up. later on her parents got sorted out, but it was a bit heavy at the time.
    i pray for all sunday school teachers in your hard job, God will bless u for all the time and effort you spend with these kids who you care for.
    rabina ma'akum
  • ask abouna to supervise.. and reward those who answer correctly. etc...

God Bless!! :)
    +mahraeel+
  • Treat them with respect, like they're older, like they're adults, make them feel important, give them some responsibilities, maybe involve them in the service in some way or another..
    I have no experience with this whatsoever, but from what I remember from this age, I think children like to be treated like that and once they feel they have an important role, they might focus more..
    (but if this doesn't make sence, feel free to ignore it  ;) )
    God bless
  • [quote author=mahraeel link=topic=7610.msg100001#msg100001 date=1233870025]
    ask abouna to supervise.. and reward those who answer correctly. etc...

God Bless!! :)
    +mahraeel+

Yes! Well done! This is very wise advice. I agree 100%. If you feel they are beginning to lose respect for the Church and for prayer and reading the Bible, and you cannot cope, ask Abouna to supervise.

But, I'm cautious about the advice to be their friend. Its as if you want to make yourself popular. I AM NOT saying that this is the case, its just.... what you want to be careful of is not having them love you - but having them love Christ from you. That's all. But, sure, be their friend!! Its a good thing. Just bear that in mind.
  • There is a problem with asking Abouna to supervise because in our church we have 5th grade-college classes on friday and angels class-4h grade on saturday. Abouna only goes to the one on friday because he teaches the high school and college classes.  The older servant I spoke about earlier is the head of Sunday School on saturday which is when I serve.
  • I think the Church Curriculum now is to focus on Jonas fast.

There's a really good book on Jonah's fast written by H.H Pope Shenouda. You should get this book for your class, and if you cant explain the story to them.

You know when you talk to the kids, u need to try to captivate their attention. Are you good at story telling?

Anyway, focus on Apenchoise if u cant tell stories. Just sing with them the hymn until they learn it.

• You can let them help you in class so they can feel important.
  • I created a small story for you that perhaps you can share with your sunday school:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=7623.new#new

Its about humility and showing off..

If everything else fails, perhaps you could give this a try?