Bible study

13»

Comments

• [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=6489.msg88228#msg88228 date=1211410756]
    However, I feel the Biblestudy should have its own section and I would like to call on the Moderators to create one as soon as possible.
    thats a very good idea but if its not feasible that the moderators r able to make a new category..i think it would be good if just for each book of the Bible that we cover to have a thread (for questions or contemplations or anything) so any1 can refer back to it wenever they want easily..

[quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6489.msg88471#msg88471 date=1211684878]
    We should all put Christ first in our lives, put Him first and then make time for other things...

thats a good point ..abouna in our youth meeting yesterday taught us a practical means to do that
    -the excercise is to give 5 minutes of our morning to God b4 doing anything..
    wake up do the Lords prayer, thanksgiving prayer and psalm 50 ..this takes 3 minutes and 20 sec and with the remaining minute and 40 seconds..ask God for wat His message to u today is..and then open the Bible at random and read a paragraph..and then go about and start ur day..get dressed and ready and so on..
    -if interested there is a story that proves the effectiveness of this excercise and how God will be with us the entire day if we make Him our first priority above all in our life.

pls keep my weakness in ur prayers
    -sister in Christ
  • -if interested there is a story that proves the effectiveness of this excercise and how God will be with us the entire day if we make Him our first priority above all in our life.

Yes Please :D .
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6489.msg88487#msg88487 date=1211760688]

-if interested there is a story that proves the effectiveness of this excercise and how God will be with us the entire day if we make Him our first priority above all in our life.

Yes Please :D .

well abouna was telling us that there was one lady that he told her to do this excercise b/c it was going to be good for her..but her reply was i cant do it b/c i am in such a hurry in the morning b/c i have to go work on time b/c if i go late they deduct 25% of my days pay and i cant afford to have that money deducted daily for this excercise..she explained to him her morning schedule which is as follows..she gets up in the morning and she gets dressed and does her make-up in the car and everything..she doesnt even wash her face b4 she leaves...it takes her 30 minutes to get to work from her house..
    so one day she woke up 10 minutes late..so she knew that now she is going to get the reduction in her paycheck either way so she was like k i might aswell be 15 minutes late and let me try this excercise abouna told me to do so i can get him off my back....so she did it..and got dressed and went to work..she arrived to work 2 minutes early and she was not late and didnt get the reduction...
    so if u do the math she got to work in 13 minutes instead of the usual time it takes her to arrive of 30 minutes..and she had 2 minutes still left over..until she was going to be considered late..wen she told abouna the whole story he asked her how many red lights did u pass..she said none..he asked her were u speeding..she said no..he was like k wat happened?..she said from the time i left my house until the time i arrived to work ALL the stoplights were green and i didnt have to stop.  (so obviously b/c she made God her first priority GOd helped her out and didnt allow her to be late and get the reduction from her paycheck or anything)
    - i hope this makes sense..if not pls tell me and i will try to clarify as much as possible..

pls keep my weakness in ur prayers
    -sister in Christ
  • wow amazing story thanks
  • is it a true story?????  it is pretty cool
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6489.msg88511#msg88511 date=1211780369]
    wow amazing story thanks

np
    -thanx to abouna he is the one that shared it with us

[quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6489.msg88568#msg88568 date=1211837249]
    is it a true story?????  it is pretty cool

yes its true..

pp4me
  • [quote author=Marmoura99 link=topic=6489.msg85725#msg85725 date=1208151095]
    Hey Everyone!
    I just a Orthodox Study Bible so I'm very excited about it! I'm wondering if any of you (or ALL of you) would be interested in having an online bible study. We'd set a number of chapeters to read per week and then we'd discuss them here. What do you think?

I thought it'd be nice to go in chronological order, so we can start on Genesis and make our way throughout the Bible from there. Let's say we read Genesis 1 - 7 this week.

Let me know if this is too much to read in one week or if you're just not interested!

I already went ahead and read a couple of chapters last week, but I'll read them again to stay with the group.

I do have a question, though, to start us off:
    "earth was invisible... the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the water." Genesis 1: 2-3

How can earth and water exist before God began his creation? When did God create them? What existed before the earth and the water?

so nice idea , Marmoura . Count me in  , may God bless all things u done to glorify His name .
    so nice to study English in Bible just for me :) as a beginer ....
    have small suggestion if it will cope with us ; wht about to discuss  2 chapters on the week and give a period of 2 days to discuss it .
    forexample :

sunday - monday ---} chapter  1
    tuesday - wednesday --- } chapter 2
    thursday - friday - saturday---}chapter 3

so through the week we can discuss 3 chapters here . ( not as personal reading , only discussion here ,,, and for personal reading i think 1 chapter a day is quite fine )

and plz , Marmoura  . it will so nice as u determine a date to begin the studay . i.e first of june , or the beging of the new week , specific date will be good .

and i trust God will help u to manage it , and post the verses in its time .

on Sunday , u announce the beging of discussion chapter 1 --- for example
    and also on tuesday & thursday the beging of chapter 2 & 3 .

and we can read the study book for chapters we r discussing - even on our nature language - and when we discuss here i think by the grace of God we will be able to study and discuss in english

hope this suggestion make a little share with urs .
    Go on , God be with u and bless u ,

mention me in prayers
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6489.msg88405#msg88405 date=1211577752]
    [quote author=elsi70x7 link=topic=6489.msg88386#msg88386 date=1211541401]
    Matthew 19:21 - Does anyone know someone personally who has done this? A rich person who has sold eveything they had and gone to follow Christ?

ST.Anthony did that:

One day after a teaching on Jesus saying to the people, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasures in heaven; and come, follow Me" (Matthew 19:21), St. Anthony sold everything he owned, gave the proceeds to the poor, and left the city behind to live in the desert.

Thanks, St. Anthony is a great example. I read about him in St. Pachomaius Library. What an exciting adventure in life he experienced, just from following Christs few words.
  • [quote author=Fady dous link=topic=6489.msg88390#msg88390 date=1211552336]
    Hello my name is Fady and im new to dis im thinkin you all live in America coz i live in Australia
    i saw you guys doin like an online bible study so maybe yous can help me
    i need help with Romans 8:28
    "and we know that all things work together for good to those who love god ..."
    it sound pretty straight forward but i was wondering if there was a deeper meaning to it.
    if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it.
    thanks.

First of all giving thanks and praise to God for sending our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ:
    As in the Prayer of Thanksgiving; we thank God for every condition and in every condition because it has worked to bring us to this very moment when we can fellowship and learn from one another. And we have God's Promise that if we are steadfast and endure faithfully like St. Job we "will receive the crown of life" :-James1:12 
    James 1:2, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds," 
                        I hope this will help
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=6489.msg88471#msg88471 date=1211684878]
    St Anthony carried out this commandment on a literal level, but we should all be carrying it out on a deeper spiritual level...
    We should all put Christ first in our lives, put Him first and then make time for other things...

+God Bless

Have you read of St. Anthony's life? I do not think there are many deeper in Spirituality than him, because he did put Christ first in his life. He is an excellent example of some one who followed this commandment to the totality.
  • Coptic Pharoah has put it nicely,when s/he said "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

Marmoura,the stage is all yours and its your blessings.If you want me to pull one on you like Jacob did on Esau, I would not hesistate for a sec. Once you give the green light, I will start with Matthew chapter 1.

In the meantime, I recommend all to watch the new movie "it happened last night",based on 3 short stories from His Holiness spritual writings.It makes you think and re-think.
  • [quote author=Hezekiel link=topic=6489.msg88687#msg88687 date=1211907370]
    Coptic Pharoah has put it nicely,when s/he said "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

Marmoura,the stage is all yours and its your blessings.If you want me to pull one on you like Jacob did on Esau, I would not hesistate for a sec. Once you give the green light, I will start with Matthew chapter 1.

In the meantime, I recommend all to watch the new movie "it happened last night",based on 3 short stories from His Holiness spritual writings.It makes you think and re-think.

What is "it happened last night" ... is it on the net?????  and by the way, i am a he... cause u were saying S/He
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6489.msg88728#msg88728 date=1211924098]
    What is "it happened last night" ... is it on the net?????   and by the way, i am a he... cause u were saying S/He

Mr Coptic P,

'It happened last night' is a new movie and is not yet on the net.The film is based on three stories that were written by Pope Shenouda some 50 years ago.It deals with us humans and our hubris. The first story is about a lay person who thought he was the best Sunday school teacher,and was all of a sudden transported to heaven to stand before the thone of God only to find out that he was not worthy to enter into the heavenly Jerusalem. The 2nd story is about deals with a Monk who believed he had attained the highest spritual level,but to his chagrine learns that he was still a worldy person and the 3rd story is about a Pope who always postponed important church matters.....( I will not tell you any further). It is a great movie and forces one to do some soul searching.
  • is it on DVD???? or tape??? where can i watch it??? it sounds great
  • First we saw the movie on big screen,Tickets were sold out.  DVD's were also sold out. Check it in your church store. If you dont have it, PM me.
  • Big SScreen????  since when are religious movies from our Church shown on the Big Screen???/  this is awsome... where can i see it??????
  • Big SScreen?  since when are religious movies from our Church shown on the Big Screen???/  this is awsome... where can i see it???

The congregation of our church had the opportunity to see the movie using the big screen in one of the church halls.There was a reason behind it. Now, it is out in DVD. Since it is new, I am not sure if it is on sale all over the places.Check at your local church store or contact me if you dont find it.
  • wich Church do you go to???? can you order online?????  i doubt my Church bookshop has it because the bookshop is pretty small, but yet again they just received a new shipment of DVDs yesterday....
  • wich Church do you go to? can you order online??  i doubt my Church bookshop has it because the bookshop is pretty small, but yet again they just received a new shipment of DVDs yesterday....

You really love to have this DVD;-). As I live right across the border of RI and MA, I have choices to go to 3 different churchs, all of equal distance. Infact,If I have plenty time throughout the week,I go to one on wensday,to the next on Friday and to the 3rd on Sunday.My main church is the church of St Mina and St Mary in Pawtucket, RI. Currently, the website is disabled.So there is no way to order online.

I made a mistake in the title. It is called 'It happened that Night'
  • do any of the other Churches have it???? u said you go to 3 diferent Churches...  lucky..a nd by the way, what ie RI and MA???
  • RI stands for Rhode Island and MA stands for Massachusettes. I am not sure if the other 2 churchs have the DVD.Frankly, I did not check.Even if they do,they don't have online options for ordering.You buy things on spot.
  • i want to watch it... it is not fair :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  I WANT TO WATCH IT :'( :'( :'(
  • I can send you a copy,if you wish.Provided,they still have the DVD. I will be out of town for the weekend,so let me know.
  • how much is it????  and how would it work by mail???? how am i going to pay you back????? and i am super busy this weekend too....        our Chirch is having a FESTIVAL of THE FLIGHT OF THE HOLY FAMILY INTO EGYPT...  people om the streets will come and learn about our Church and ancient Egypt... just pray that it works out ok....
  • Coptic P, You dont need to pay.Let it be on me.I'd be glad to send it over to you.
    Wish you success in your upcoming festival.