Bible study

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey Everyone!
I just a Orthodox Study Bible so I'm very excited about it! I'm wondering if any of you (or ALL of you) would be interested in having an online bible study. We'd set a number of chapeters to read per week and then we'd discuss them here. What do you think?

I thought it'd be nice to go in chronological order, so we can start on Genesis and make our way throughout the Bible from there. Let's say we read Genesis 1 - 7 this week.

Let me know if this is too much to read in one week or if you're just not interested!

I already went ahead and read a couple of chapters last week, but I'll read them again to stay with the group.

I do have a question, though, to start us off:
"earth was invisible... the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the water." Genesis 1: 2-3

How can earth and water exist before God began his creation? When did God create them? What existed before the earth and the water?

Comments

• I think thats a great idea, but if feel that starting in the new testament would be easier as the OT is much harder to comprehend for most(including myself) but that is just me, if everybody would like to do OT by all means go for it, its good to know the prophecies before actually reading the NT. To answer your question however, i think(not sure if this is right) but i think that when it says the earth was void and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters, is saying that the earth didn't exist(void=empty) and waters could refer to space possibly, or something like that. Hope that was a little helpful.
  • Genesis 1 - The History of Creation
    1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. (from NKJ since I do not have yet the version you use)

How can earth and water exist before God began his creation?

what do you mean? the first verse states that "God created the heavens and the Earth"

GBU
  • Thanks John! haha I re-read the passage and realized that I must've skipped that verse! My eyes tend to do that sometimes if I'm super tired!!

Is anyone else interested in this Bible study??
  • No problem and you're welcome!
    GBU
  • John ,

(from NKJ since I do not have yet the version you use)

When Online, you can use this site for Bible references.

http://www.biblegateway.com/

You find all versions of the bible and in so many languages.

If you are not sure where to find  a verse in a book of the bible ,just put, for example, genesis, and you read thru the book until you get to where you want.

Hope this eliminates your version shortages:-)
  • That is a good idea Marmoura count me in. I just think it will be better after Easter.
    May God Bless you & Reward you.
    In Christ
    Maria
  • Thanks Hezekiel I use the site too but I think she meant the
    "Orthodox Study Bible"
  • Mea culpa John, I made a mistake.Thanks for the Info,I appreciate it.

The idea of the Bible study sounds great,but as St Maria suggested, after Easter would be more suitable.
  • So whats the Verdict Marmoura99? Will it be from the OT or NT?
  • I also think it might be easier to start with the New Testament- as the OT is very hard to comprehend for me also. The New Testament is rich with direct messages and practical applications, etc. The old Testament is more historical, with many messages also - but many confising ones I believe... Of course we will get to it... I only suggest that we do not begin with it.. What do you think?
    After Easter would be nice also :).

Thanks.
  • Probably this is my favorite topic in a while. Thanks so much. Yes, new testament is better to start with. I think we should start with the gospels (Matthew), and work our way through revelation. However, we should start reading now. Holy week shouldn't just be pascha in the morning and at night, but also reading the bible is very important. So I think maybe we should read the first 14 chapters (at least) and discuss them April 28. Of course, it's not my decision. Sorry if i'm being a bit bossy.

PK
  • wow.. i haven't been on here for a while and was surprised to see all these replys. thanks for everyone's interest in this Bible Study!!  I'm so excited!

The reason I wanted to start with the OT was because it IS a little harder to understand so we could help each other through it, but it's majority rules and from what I've read, most of you want to start with the NT so I guess we'll do that... unless some of you change your minds. We'll also start after el 3eid (kol sana wentom tayebeen) so everyone who wants to participate can.

does that sound good to everyone?
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6489.msg85891#msg85891 date=1208298409]
    Probably this is my favorite topic in a while. Thanks so much. Yes, new testament is better to start with. I think we should start with the gospels (Matthew), and work our way through revelation. However, we should start reading now. Holy week shouldn't just be pascha in the morning and at night, but also reading the bible is very important. So I think maybe we should read the first 14 chapters (at least) and discuss them April 28. Of course, it's not my decision. Sorry if i'm being a bit bossy.

PK

The reason I want to start after passion week is because during passsion week we should be focussing on ONE thing and one thing alone - and this is Christ's experiences and sufferings for our sins. It's not appropriate to be reading about His ministry and so forth...

+God Bless.
  • Sorry Hizz_child but you are completely wrong. The whole purpose of Christ's ministry was to save us from our sins. How then can you say that we can't read about it during holy week?? His Holiness said we should drop everything during holy week including studying and housework and read the bible and pray for the forgiveness of our sins. Maybe reading the epistles of St. Paul for example can be replaced with reading the four gospels. But definately reading the gospels is fine. Remember, the purpose of holy week is to remember what Christ did for us, not necessarily just on the cross but also being incarnate of the virgin, being baptised, and everything else. All this was done for us.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6489.msg85948#msg85948 date=1208372020]
    Sorry Hizz_child but you are completely wrong. The whole purpose of Christ's ministry was to save us from our sins. How then can you say that we can't read about it during holy week?? His Holiness said we should drop everything during holy week including studying and housework and read the bible and pray for the forgiveness of our sins. Maybe reading the epistles of St. Paul for example can be replaced with reading the four gospels. But definately reading the gospels is fine. Remember, the purpose of holy week is to remember what Christ did for us, not necessarily just on the cross but also being incarnate of the virgin, being baptised, and everything else. All this was done for us.

I think we're supposed to focus on the passion, on the suffering...

Any other opinions?
  • Well this is besides the topic, but i agree with both parties on this arguement. We should be completely focused on the Passion of our Lord but that does not mean we can't read from other parts of the Bible, Like PopeKyrillos said it talks about Christ's ministry and of course the prophecies(which are read that week anyway. He did everything for our salvation, not just dieing for us. That was the ultimate sacrafice that COMPLETED the work but all of the other things He did are no less important during that week than anything else. Ex: He fasted for US forty days and forty nights even to SAVe us from our sins, we must understand that yes while the cross and His Passion was important and the Ultimate Sacrafice was made, Everything he did on earth (including his birth) was for our sake, he didn't need to fast, or to heal or to do anything he did, but he fulfilled all righteousness in order to perfect His Sacrafice on the Cross, so that when His Soul departed from His body and went to Heaven to open the gates of Paradise, showed the Father that he was an acceptable sacrafice for all our sins by what he did on earth. There was a story i read(hypothetical) that described what went on when Christ went to heaven and the "Dialogue" that went on with him and the Father, and what happened when he decended to hades to free the souls of the righteous, i read it like 3 years ago, i don't think i will find it again but i will try. Does that make sense? sorry for rambling on.
  • Yes it does, thanks.
    Sorry for going off topic!
  • I would love to join if you guys dont mind.

And as Jydeacon said...i would enjoy starting the new testament...i find it easier to comprehend...But if many want to start on the OT then thats fine too.

Oh and i wanted to add something before we start,
    I was thinking one day and i thought TESTAMENT....whats it mean...well we all know the word test so i searched up the word AMENT and it means intellectual capacity

So i concluded that the Old TestAment was a test of our intellectual capacity and the new TestAment is a new chance to test this Given to us by Our Lord.

Any comments, i would love to hear them!

God Bless
  • when you look up a definition you have to use the whole word, unless you are looking up its roots, is that what you were getting at? If not then testament means a proffession of belief or in other words a testimony. the old testament was a testimony to creation and the law and the prophets and what not, while the new testament as you said is a new chance, a new covenent, a new testimony that Christ is our Saviour and that we have been saved.
  • [quote author=PopeKyrillos link=topic=6489.msg85948#msg85948 date=1208372020]
    Sorry Hizz_child but you are completely wrong. The whole purpose of Christ's ministry was to save us from our sins. How then can you say that we can't read about it during holy week?? His Holiness said we should drop everything during holy week including studying and housework and read the bible and pray for the forgiveness of our sins. Maybe reading the epistles of St. Paul for example can be replaced with reading the four gospels. But definitely reading the gospels is fine. Remember, the purpose of holy week is to remember what Christ did for us, not necessarily just on the cross but also being incarnate of the virgin, being baptized, and everything else. All this was done for us.

I think we will remember his passion when we study the bible but off course we should focus on the passion of Christ by reading the new testament.
  • [quote author=Christrules link=topic=6489.msg85972#msg85972 date=1208404918]

Oh and i wanted to add something before we start,
    I was thinking one day and i thought TESTAMENT....whats it mean...well we all know the word test so i searched up the word AMENT and it means intellectual capacity

So i concluded that the Old TestAment was a test of our intellectual capacity and the new TestAment is a new chance to test this Given to us by Our Lord.

Any comments, i would love to hear them!

God Bless

Pretty awsome to have noticed something like that
  • So are we going through with this, did anyone read??
  • what book should we start reading??
  • Matthew, I believe...
  • what chapters r going to be read for this week?
  • sorry... i guess i should be more organized!!

lets start from today with 1 chapter in the Gospel of St. Matthew every day. so next sunday, we should've read Matthew 1-7. Does that sound good for everyone? then, whoever has a question or insight would post it during the week. that way everyone learns something new and we help each other.

let me know if you have any other ideas and remember me in your prayers!
  • That sounds good!!!
    Can we start a new topic with the discussion we are going to do so this way if any one wants to refer to it any time they will find it easily? Thanks

Plz pray for me
  • Sounds like a great idea, so 1-7 by next sunday. awsome
  • count me in too  ;)

pray for me

joe