Punishing Siblings

edited July 2004 in Faith Issues
Do you think that it's ok to punish younger siblings?

Comments

• SURE oh wait i am a younget sibling i take that back not it is not :P
  • lol. I don't mean it in an evil way. I mean to say, if they wronged you in some way, should you punish them for it? Get back at them for it? Like locking them out of the house for an hour....

sleepy
  • There is 3 answers:
    1) Modest behavior: Forget him
    2) Semi-modest: lock him out for an hour without parents knowing
    3) Very Bad: telling your parents and probably putting him in more trouble than he should be in

here you go i think those are the 3 possibilities take your pick ;D
  • Sleepy, is there something u'd like to share... "Like locking them out of the house for an hour...." i'd like to assume that most of us have these memories of punishments our siblings decided to caste upon us....

it's prolly not a good idea, but if u have a younger sibling u know how annoying they can be. sometimes that urge gets the best of u and u end up locking them in the bathroom and sitting behind the door with a chair while singing the same song over and over... :'(

ASM
  • Let me revise this. I don't mean punish as in I have authority over them, but as a child feeling that they've been wronged and that they want to get even...get payback...

sleepy
  • [quote author=ASM link=board=1;threadid=470;start=0#msg7675 date=1090550010]
    Sleepy, is there something u'd like to share... "Like locking them out of the house for an hour...." i'd like to assume that most of us have these memories of punishments our siblings decided to caste upon us....

it's prolly not a good idea, but if u have a younger sibling u know how annoying they can be. sometimes that urge gets the best of u and u end up locking them in the bathroom and sitting behind the door with a chair while singing the same song over and over... :'(

ASM

I will share all when the right time comes...trust me..lol

sleepy
  • Just forgive and forget, its not ur or my place to punish anyone.

easier said then done i know, but it really isnt our place to 'teach someone a lesson'

ASM
  • I didn't mean punish as in take authority over them, I meant as in a child seeking payback.

sleepy
  • That sounds a lot like revenge..... :-\ But yeah, I don't think it's right, if they do something wrong, then give them a lecture or something, maybe if you give really long lectures, they'll get really bored and never want to do something mean again.

• Well, when I'm given long lectures about what's right and wrong, and I'm told what not to do, I want to do that thing even more, not myself, personally, just generally speaking, do you get me?

But thanks for your replies people, keep them coming in. ;)

sleepy
  • Yeah, I see what you mean. Maybe try showing them that what they're doing is making you really sad. Fake a tear, just kidding. No, but really, maybe it might work, if what they're doing is being loud, try playing with them for a little. Tell them, "Ok, let's play for a few minutes but after that I'm going to go do what I want to do ok? But if you don't listen to me, then I won't play with you anymore." I don't know where I came up with that, sorry.
  • Do you have younger siblings LordHaveMercy? Just curious...lol

sleepy
  • I know, I know, that doesn't work..... I couldn't think of anything, but I tried, lol. But at the end of all that nonsense I typed, I don't think that it's right to punish younger siblings, I think that it should be left for parents to give them lectures.
  • No, no no, that's not what I meant at all, I was just curious....lol

I think it would be better if I made this more general about tehe payback thing. What if you were trying to get payback at something that anyone did...

sleepy
  • well, I'm the middle child, so I know how it feels to both get "punished" and to punish. personally, I think as long as u dont punish them for every little thing, I think it would be alright, but nothing like locking them outside. and many times, I just leave it to my parents to "get payback" for me. it makes it much easier :P. j/k
  • lol. I was only exaggerating about the "locking them out"...and anyway..we have two doors. A screendoor, and a regular door, so all I would have to do is lock the screendoor...lol

sleepy
    P.S. Sometimes, parents bee dallauoo the younger kids, because the older people are supposed to know better...pfft, whatever...lol
  • I don't think revenge is right with anybody. And if you look at it from a different point of view, if they do mean things to you, and then you do it back, it only lowers you to their level.
  • Wow, this is so spinning out of hand. I never said "revenge". I only said "payback". Revenge is when yo uhave evil planned in your heart to get back at someone, payback is when you wosh to make it known in a physical sense that what someone did to you prior is unacceptable. That's first. Secondly, I don't do it after every single thing that they do to me. When they do something extreme, I get payback, but not by hitting them. I don't do that, and even if I did, my parents don't allow such things...hope that clarified things up a bit..

sleepy
  • Yeah, you're right, I'm sorry. But if you pay them back, then they're just going to keep on bothering you, and that's not going to make things much better...
  • I'm sorry my friend, those are just one of my flaws...lol

sleepy
  • Lol, yeah, easier said than done.
  • My feelings are this:

God gave me two hands, one to smack one brother and one to smack the other. God doesn't descriminate... :)

God bless,

CS
  • i think its ok to give someone a taste of their own medicine every now and then....sometimes, thats the best way to learn
    besides, what goes around, comes around
  • Thank god someone thinks along the same lines...lol

sleepy
  • [quote author=CopticSoldier link=board=1;threadid=470;start=15#msg7705 date=1090575946]
    My feelings are this:

God gave me two hands, one to smack one brother and one to smack the other. God doesn't descriminate... :)

God bless,

CS

really cute CS. really funny too. hahaha ;D

here's my insight. i think that younger siblings owe the older sibilings some respect and should listen to them. now, im not saying in everything, but there r things where u know that age and wisdom do play a part. u guys know wat i mean. for example, my bro (if anybody tells him this, i will seriously get u guys, and i hope he doesnt read this cause he comes on this site) anywayz, doesnt listen to me watsever. not only has he no respect for me, but i also end up getting embarasssed by him. dont ask how. so, in this situation, yes punishment is necessary. not only to repend, but to gain some respect. i know, i know, but its the only way with younger siblings and most of us know that. we dont live in a perfect world unfortunately. thats my view of things.
  • If you want younger sibblings to respect you, you have to beat it into them. >:(

CS
  • r u being sarcastic or r u agreeing with me?
  • Sarcastic...

To be honest I wouldn't feel comfortable punnishing a younger sibling unless they were much younger than I am...

CS
  • 2 years enough