Punishing Siblings

Comments

• 2 years? I'm not sure... I wouldn't do it personally (because knowing what I'm like) I'd find it hard to make a rational judgement about whether or not they should be punished because with a smaller age gap and with the kinds of relationships we have with siblings we tend to do things as a self justification sometimes when we don't mean to... :-\

I'm not sure, what do your parents expect from you? Do you punish the same way as they do and what do they do when your younger brothers complain?

God bless,

CS
  • a) im not allowed to do anything to my bro
    b) we have a good relationship goin, dont want to damage it by telling on him

any advice?

and no, i dont punish like my parents, not that i can
  • If it ain't broke then don't fix it. :)

CS
  • lost again
  • [quote author=LostEgPrincess link=board=1;threadid=470;start=30#msg7740 date=1090646473]
    b) we have a good relationship goin, dont want to damage it by telling on him

cs is saying if you have a good relationship don't do anything if something is working don't say i want to fix it even though it is working fine
  • What I mean is punishing siblings is a bad idea because you live with each other and you do something that they'll most likley say, who gave you the right to do that? I'm not sure what sort of stuff you fight about but there are psychological tricks that can make things better or at least makes it easier to reason with them...

What do you think, how easy is it to reason?
  • Yea, there are psychological tricks that you can use, and those can include using ways at getting back at them undirectly. That's what I use. There is a 6 year difference between my bro, and 11 year difference between the other, and that way, I don't hurt them physically, and at the same time, I still show them that what they do to others will come back and bite them in the butt.

sleepy
  • Oh, and I forgot to add, that treating them with the same punishment that they gave you makes them stop what they're doing cause they see that what they're doing is upsetting...(wishful thinking....) lol

sleepy
  • [quote author=sleepymusician link=board=1;threadid=470;start=30#msg7747 date=1090688308]
    Yea, there are psychological tricks that you can use, and those can include using ways at getting back at them undirectly. That's what I use. There is a 6 year difference between my bro, and 11 year difference between the other, and that way, I don't hurt them physically, and at the same time, I still show them that what they do to others will come back and bite them in the butt.

sleepy

Are you and EgyPrincess the same person? you have the same icon which makes things really confusing. :-\

Anyways... This is basically why I don't like the idea of punishing (at the age your at) because we can get confused and do it for revenge. When God punishes us He doesn't do it because He wants revenge, He's not petty in that sense that He has to get back at us but always does it for our own good to save us. There is a verse the wrath of man doesn't produce the righteousness of God. What I mean is if someone offends me personally I might think I do a good thing by punishing them but its usually my own pettiness and desire to get back at them, this is not really what punishment is for. Knowing what I was like at your ages, I would never do it personally....

How does reasoning with them work?

I guess if they're much much younger than you like 5 or 6 then thats not as bad but with a smaller age gap I think the rivalry is greater and our ability to be practical is more limited. Maybe I'm wrong here and I've got this out of context feel free to lemmie know...

God bless,

CS
  • "Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him;
    Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
    Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.
    Cease from anger, and forsake wrath;
    Do not fret--it only causes harm."
    Psalm 37:7
  • [quote author=CopticSoldier link=board=1;threadid=470;start=30#msg7756 date=1090716907]
    [quote author=sleepymusician link=board=1;threadid=470;start=30#msg7747 date=1090688308]
    Yea, there are psychological tricks that you can use, and those can include using ways at getting back at them undirectly. That's what I use. There is a 6 year difference between my bro, and 11 year difference between the other, and that way, I don't hurt them physically, and at the same time, I still show them that what they do to others will come back and bite them in the butt.

sleepy

Are you and EgyPrincess the same person? you have the same icon which makes things really confusing. :-\

Anyways... This is basically why I don't like the idea of punishing (at the age your at) because we can get confused and do it for revenge. When God punishes us He doesn't do it because He wants revenge, He's not petty in that sense that He has to get back at us but always does it for our own good to save us. There is a verse the wrath of man doesn't produce the righteousness of God. What I mean is if someone offends me personally I might think I do a good thing by punishing them but its usually my own pettiness and desire to get back at them, this is not really what punishment is for. Knowing what I was like at your ages, I would never do it personally....

How does reasoning with them work?

I guess if they're much much younger than you like 5 or 6 then thats not as bad but with a smaller age gap I think the rivalry is greater and our ability to be practical is more limited. Maybe I'm wrong here and I've got this out of context feel free to lemmie know...

God bless,

CS

no, we r not the same pple, we r good friends though, ill see if i could change my icon.

anywayz, i can differniate between revenge and punishing. and i dont do it for the sake of punishing, i do it so he doesnt hurt me again, emotionally. like i said, my bro teases me and says things he shouldnt say outside and he has no respect for me. if u know any treatment for that, im all ears!
  • [quote author=LostEgPrincess link=board=1;threadid=470;start=30#msg7766 date=1090766154]
    anywayz, i can differniate between revenge and punishing. and i dont do it for the sake of punishing, i do it so he doesnt hurt me again, emotionally. like i said, my bro teases me and says things he shouldnt say outside and he has no respect for me. if u know any treatment for that, im all ears!

Its always hard to make a clear judgement on things like this because emotions are very good at clouding our judgement thats I'd be afraid of especially if they do something really embarassing.

I'm not too sure personally because I don't have too much experience with stuff like this. I'm not sure what the other guys would suggest.

God bless,

CS
  • Why would you guys want to punish them? Just hit them, even if they're older than you. Thats what I do. lol
  • ouch man i feel bad for your siblings ;)
  • Oh my sis. Dont worry bout her. #1 she's older #2 she got nails, so its kinda even. She got the nails, i got the moves, i think it should be on pay-per-view sometime.
  • LOL cool can i get front row seats ;D
    ok ok back to the topic
  • Coptic_Avenger, if anything, it's ur sis who's got the moves, get a life...lol

sleepy
  • Wasim, you have no life.....lol, enouraging a fight???? What kind of example is that???? lol jk jk

sleepy
  • sleepy get off my case, coptic avenger said they fight and that it should be on pay per view so i am just asking for tickets no biggie sleepy :P
  • Wow, touchy.....I didn't mean it to the extent where you take it to the heart. I mean no wrong. If it bothered you, I take it back.

sleepy
  • i NEVER knew i could be touchy cool thanks sleepy for letting me know ;)
  • I meant it in a PRODUCTIVE way...lol
    We should stop fighting now before everyone starts to kill us, so let's call it PEACE...lol

sleepy
  • lol. Smart move...lol

sleepy
    P.S. Everyone else..sry about our little bouts of fighting..forgive us....lol
  • ya forgive me and not her :P jk jk
    forgive both of us
  • How sweet...may GOD forgive you...lol

sleepy
  • was my verse ignored? :-\

"Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him;
    Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
    Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.
    Cease from anger, and forsake wrath;
    Do not fret--it only causes harm."
    Psalm 37:7
  • Huh? Lost

sleepy
  • id liek to say that the only way to get ANYTHING into my brothers head or to get any bad behaviours out of him is to tell my parents.. he has absolutley no repsect for me watsoever unless hes after something. If i lecture he mimicks and makes noisse to block my voice out, if i hit him he laughs... and he hits me back.. hes 5 years younger and i tihnk he needs to learn to repsect me.. the onyl way to ever make him learn anything is to tell my parents, teyre the only people he listens to, not even my grandma who lives wiht us.. its really bad and my mom spoils him a lot so really my dad is the onyl one who can get to him, mayb its cuz im daddy's girl but still, he needs to learn respect..
  • see, now he found out, i cant say anyting now! >:(

ill just observe
    (btw, im not obusive, i cant hurt him anymore)