Do you share your faith w/ Muslims? If so, how?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Salaam, everyone.

I was wondering if you ever talk about your faith with Muslims. Do you ever have conversations with them about the Lord Jesus? If so, how do you talk to them? Do you do this in Egypt, or only in countries where it is legal to proselytize?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, since this has come up lately for me.

Peace

Comments

• i personally don't, but i know my dad does, idk if he did in egypt, but he does here sometimes, with a select few.  He only shares the faith  with the open-minded oness, when i hear him talking to his muslim friend, he always backs up what he says with things from the Bible and books and ect. and also, he shows that he understands both points of views, and then lists the reasons of why the copts are rightt. okayy..thats alll i had to say. lol
  • [quote author=SAMAWAT link=topic=5663.msg75540#msg75540 date=1187226875]
    Salaam, everyone.

I was wondering if you ever talk about your faith with Muslims. Do you ever have conversations with them about the Lord Jesus? If so, how do you talk to them? Do you do this in Egypt, or only in countries where it is legal to proselytize?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, since this has come up lately for me.

the best way to prove ur faith and show it is by ur actions. becuase by them seeing those actions, questions come up. and from there u can answer there questions. now if they say somthing wrong that is not understood rit, now u need to speak to them and fix what.
  • I used to debate with them, saying there assertions that the Bible has been corrupted is rich, since the Koran has a very bad track record etc.

But alas, to no avail.

What we don't realise is that there are verses in the Koran that gives great respect to the Gospels, and so I believe this is a point of commons where we can give them it to read?

Another thing is that their conception of God is one that does not love them unconditionally but one that is reciprocal. (c.f. Romans 5:8 vs Surah 3:29).

Further, you can simply ask why are humans so vile- what is the cause of this moral degradation. Christianity explains it, but Islam is not as eloquent. This is just a catalyst that you can later use to explain the Christian concept of the need for Salvation.

Thirdly, use their respect for Christ to talk about Him. They believe He is without fault (Surah 19:19) unlike the other prophets who "Nothing else they said, but "Lord, forgive us our sins, that we exceeded in our affair, and make firm our feet, and help us against the people of the unbelievers" (Surah 3:141). This is where you can talk about how in Christianity, God does not just reveal His will, but Himself.

Look at some of the testimonials http://www.answering-islam.de/Main/Testimonies/index.html
    and really examine what bridged the gap.

But this would be to no avail if there is no love. For by love, all men will know we are His disciples.
  • Personally I live in egypt with many
    and at most times i try to avoid the subject so No one is offended
    ubt occasionally it comes up
    things such as our views towards prayer, alchol, sexual relationships, traditoins

i remember
    I was tlaking about Noah and how he had drank and two of his kids respected and covered him while the other was disrespecting him
    and immedialtey one was offended becasue he was a "prophet" = he doesnt drink

i let it slide w/o debate because being in a country were u can be held wrong easily over misunderstood words is dfifenrt

• [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5663.msg75545#msg75545 date=1187234031]
    i remember
    I was tlaking about Noah and how he had drank and two of his kids respected and covered him while the other was disrespecting him
    and immedialtey one was offended becasue he was a "prophet" = he doesnt drink

hmm.. they believe in the old testament so they should believe in noah...
    but then again, they have their own 'interpretation' of everything.. so who knows...

you know what i dont get.. and i might get in trouble for saying this.. but did you know they consider muhammad to be perfect, and have a book based on his behaviour about the way a muslim should behave.. ? did you know he spread islam by force, that he murdered innocent people just because they didn't accept his preaching.. ?
    So many muslims say that terrorist behaviour is not accepted by the islam religion.. and yet if you look at the whole picture, that is exactly what they were taught by their 'prophet', the founder of their religion.. if he is perfect, a model of muslim behaviour, then what these terrorists have done is right by their religion. they have not misunderstood or misinterpreted.. that is exactly what a true follower of islam should do... they say they are misunderstood... but no, it is they themselves don't understand.

A religion based on 'peace' cannot promote murder.

Sorry i got a bit carried away there.. but i guess you could discuss that with them...
  • are you sure they believe Jesus was without fault?

• [quote author=helpmelordjesus link=topic=5663.msg75573#msg75573 date=1187271311]
    are you sure they believe Jesus was without fault?

I persume you meant muhammad, and typed Jesus by accident..
    Yes, I'm sure, I'm studying it in religion.

But like i said.. most of them probably don't even know that .
  • Isalm was developed by an excommunicated monk. i can't remember his exact name but he bisaclly started the whole thing with Muahamad who i think was pagen. thats why u have 1/2 of the quran supporting jews and christians and the other, after the monk's death, over the ruling of muhamad and the expansion of his power, against them.

so since it was a monk, there have to be many similarties but understood in a diffrent way.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Isalm was developed by an excommunicated monk

I've heard about this, but I sometimes question the validity of it.  I've never read anything about it.  Do you happen to know of any books that discuss this?
  • doubting thomas said

"
    Thirdly, use their respect for Christ to talk about Him. They believe He is without fault (Surah 19:19) unlike the other prophets who "Nothing else they said, but "Lord, forgive us our sins, that we exceeded in our affair, and make firm our feet, and help us against the people of the unbelievers" (Surah 3:141). This is where you can talk about how in Christianity, God does not just reveal His will, but Himself."
  • [quote author=Κηφᾶς link=topic=5663.msg75581#msg75581 date=1187272189]
    [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

Isalm was developed by an excommunicated monk

I've heard about this, but I sometimes question the validity of it.  I've never read anything about it.  Do you happen to know of any books that discuss this?

i know some one who does. i think it's part of the set of sermons of "The History of the Church" of the Late HG Bishop Youannes. i'll search and i'll get the source.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5663.msg75580#msg75580 date=1187272083]
    Isalm was developed by an excommunicated monk.

interesting.. could you please find more information on this? a website perhaps..
    I'm learning about Islam, but I'm only learning about what the muslims believed to have happened... i know that arabia was pagan at the time.. but muhammad supposedly went to a mountain [starting with H.. Mt Hira?] and god 'spoke' to him.. when he returned to preach to the people, they rejected him so he migrated to a place now known as 'Madinat-al-nabi', got an army and returned to Mecca..
  • When minagir says Islam was developed by an excommunicated monk, he doesn't mean that Muhammad was an excommunicated monk, but the ideas of Islam had some beginning by heretical monks that Muhammad frequented and taught about Christianity (though rather frivolous and deceptive). However, Muhammad adopted other ideas and practices from other religions he was exposed to.

I think there is a Catholic who made quite an extensive inquiry into Islam, and made an exhausitive book. 'Inside Islam - Ascension' found on http://www.allcatholicbooks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ACB&Product_Code=AGx232&Category_Code=

There must be many though.
  • Many Muslims acknowledge some of the Bible, such as the Old Testament but one thing i know is that they heavily promote a
    gnostic gosple named "the Gospel of Barnabas" not to sure bout the name though because in it, the Prophet Mohammed is alluded too and it says what they belive is true about Christ.

I also heard about hte Monk Story...from what I know he was excommunicated because he was a Nestorian
    and as we know one of the reasons why Nestor was excommunicated was because he refused to acknowledge the Virgin Mary as being the Mother of "God"
  • [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5663.msg75607#msg75607 date=1187278382]
    Many Muslims acknowledge some of the Bible, such as the Old Testament but one thing i know is that they heavily promote a
    gnostic gosple named "the Gospel of Barnabas" not to sure bout the name though because in it, the Prophet Mohammed is alluded too and it says what they belive is true about Christ.

The Gospel Barnabas is not gnostic. It is a medieval Muslim forgery of Italian origin.

Funny thing is that it says Muhammad, not Jesus, is the Christ. Yet Islam teaches very clearly that Jesus, not Muhammad, is the Christ. So it really does nothing to promote either religion.

I also heard about hte Monk Story...from what I know he was excommunicated because he was a Nestorian
    and as we know one of the reasons why Nestor was excommunicated was because he refused to acknowledge the Virgin Mary as being the Mother of "God"

The monk's name was Buheira. He is mentioned by St. John of Damascus (8th century) in his work, the Fount of Knowledge.

You can read the relevat chapter here:
    http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/stjohn_islam.aspx
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

St. John of Damascus is so the man!  I couldn't help but chuckle as I read that chapter.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5663.msg75608#msg75608 date=1187278924]
    [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5663.msg75607#msg75607 date=1187278382]
    Many Muslims acknowledge some of the Bible, such as the Old Testament but one thing i know is that they heavily promote a

The Gospel Barnabas is not gnostic. It is a medieval Muslim forgery of Italian origin.

Funny thing is that it says Muhammad, not Jesus, is the Christ. Yet Islam teaches very clearly that Jesus, not Muhammad, is the Christ. So it really does nothing to promote either religion.

The monk's name was Buheira. He is mentioned by St. John of Damascus (8th century) in his work, the Fount of Knowledge.

You can read the relevat chapter here:
    http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/stjohn_islam.aspx

lol....this book is just great. wasn't surprise thoo of what is said about Muahamad.
  • yeah, i think it is soo amusingly funny ;D
  • Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

When I was in Egypt I didn't really have very deep faith conversations w/ Muslims, partly because I was afraid and partly b/c they didn't ask very deep questions. But now that I am back in the USA I am starting to do this more, esp. w/ folks back in Egypt through email.

I think that sharing the gospel both with your words AND with your life are equally important. We need to demonstrate through our actions that we love them and we care about them and we want to be friends with them -- not just debate them. But they also need to hear about our love for the Lord Jesus -- it's just hard to know exactly where to draw the line when you're in a country where it's illegal to "proselytize".

Re: the so-called "Gospel" of Barnabas -- yes, it was originally written in Italian and contains all kinds of strange errors that not even Muslims agree with, including denying that Jesus was the Messiah!

Peace to you all,

SAMAWAT
  • Good point samawat
    another reason why i didnt talk alot about being a Christian
    and try to preach to them.....was because i honestly wasnt living like a Good Christian

Which as previously mentioned......its best to preach through actions cuz as the saying goes
    Actions speak Louder than Words
  • Islam is a religion based largely on external observance. So I agree that the best way to witness to Muslims is by living your faith. Be humble, charitable, patient, and steadfast in your faith, pray, fast, give alms. That will get you a lot further than fancy talk and polemics, which tend to fall on deaf ears.

Most Muslims will have a preconceived idea about what Christians believe and how they live. It's rarely worth challenging the former, since they'll simply say you're in error, but they cannot dismiss the latter in the same way.

You'll find they become a lot more respectful and willing to listen once you've torn down their prejudices.
  • I never really talk about my faith with Muslims - especially in Egypt.
    I have a very intimate muslim friend, and we RARELY talk about religion, yet, he is a devout man and we respect each other's morals.
    I try not to get into discussions about religion with non Christian friends UNLESS they ask valid questions.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5663.msg75608#msg75608 date=1187278924]
    [quote author=gregorytheSinner link=topic=5663.msg75607#msg75607 date=1187278382]

They belive that Jesus is an ordinary prophet.... not the Christ.. How could he be both the christ and a prophet at the smae time.
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5663.msg75625#msg75625 date=1187334482]
    They belive that Jesus is an ordinary prophet.... not the Christ.. How could he be both the christ and a prophet at the smae time.

Look up pretty much any passage in the Qur'an that mentions Jesus (Isa) and you will see that He is referred to as al Masih (the Christ).

Naturally, they do not understand the term Christ in the same way we do, but they nevertheless use this title exclusively for Jesus, and never for Muhammad.

Nor are the terms prophet and Christ mutually exclusive.
  • Oh.. so it's just a 'title' they give him, but they don't believe the he's the messiah.. ?
  • [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5663.msg75631#msg75631 date=1187359614]
    Oh.. so it's just a 'title' they give him

Islam is a distortion of Christianity. It is a title He already held within Christianity and it was maintained by Muhammad when he devised his heresy.

but they don't believe the he's the messiah.. ?

Islam does not really have a concept of a Messiah as such.

The Jews awaited the Messiah to deliver them from political opression - the early Muslims were not in need of such a figure.

Christians see the Messiah as having delivered us from the opression of sin and death (and in order for this to be possible, the Messiah was none other than God Incarnate) - Muslims have a totally different view of the fall, sin and death, and therefore see no need for such a Redeemer.

So the term Messiah is one Islam kept, but essentially rendering it meaningless by removing the context in which it has to be understood.
  • i guess it's not asurprise that Abdel-halim sang for the "Messiah"!!!!
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5663.msg75632#msg75632 date=1187365681]
    [quote author=Hizz_chiilld link=topic=5663.msg75631#msg75631 date=1187359614]
    Oh.. so it's just a 'title' they give him

Islam is a distortion of Christianity. It is a title He already held within Christianity and it was maintained by Muhammad when he devised his heresy.

but they don't believe the he's the messiah.. ?

Islam does not really have a concept of a Messiah as such.

The Jews awaited the Messiah to deliver them from political opression - the early Muslims were not in need of such a figure.

Christians see the Messiah as having delivered us from the opression of sin and death (and in order for this to be possible, the Messiah was none other than God Incarnate) - Muslims have a totally different view of the fall, sin and death, and therefore see no need for such a Redeemer.

So the term Messiah is one Islam kept, but essentially rendering it meaningless by removing the context in which it has to be understood.

So if they added little bits of Christianity to a Jewish foundation... and the Jews believe in the comming of the Messiah, why don't they ?
  • Well islam is not exaclty Just Christinaity and Judiasm
    lets not forget htat Mohammed was a Pagan

He was also illeterate...and he lived in a pagan area
    upon meeting the Excommunicated Monk and interacting with the Jewish people and through his wives some of whom were Christian (Mary of Egypt) he began to form His Religon which in the end turned out to be a blended religon combining elements from Judiasm, Christianity, and paganism
  • Oh and to answwer the prior questoin
    they like the Jews belive in the Comming of God
    they just dont call him teh Messiaha

They belive that Jesus Christ will come back down
    at the end of time tho