i don't understand why 666 is a bad number

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hey guys,

i have a question. i don't undersand (even when i read it in the bible), that 666 is a bad number and that it is the number of the devil. i told my parents, but they said they never heard of it, even when i showed it to them in the bible, they say they don't get it, and i don't either

can anyone tell me what it means in the bible???

Thanks and God bless    :)

Comments

• well i believe that the actuall # 6 represents man and inperfection. while 7 is perfection and 8 is everlasting. but i am not sure exactly what 666 means. all i know are those numbers. but i think it deals with imperfection and evil.
  • [quote author=egyptianorthobeaut link=topic=5076.msg68308#msg68308 date=1173313649]
    hey guys,

i have a question. i don't undersand (even when i read it in the bible), that 666 is a bad number and that it is the number of the devil. i told my parents, but they said they never heard of it, even when i showed it to them in the bible, they say they don't get it, and i don't either

Thanks and God bless    :)

represent the number of the devil according to the book of revelations

• represent the number of the devil according to the book of revelations

According to the book of revelation it is said that in the judgment day the poeple that followed the devil with have 666 on thier forehead.
  • [coptic]+ Iryny nem `hmot>[/coptic]

In numerology (well, Biblical numerology I suppose), the number 7 represents perfection.  Since 6 falls short of 7, it stands for imperfection.  The number 3 represents completeness (since the Trinity is complete).  Thus, the fact that there are three 6s means complete imperfection, which is why it is a number that represents the devil.  I have never believed this to be an actual number that will appear or somehow be present on people, but it is a way of symbolically referring to the devil and those who wish to follow him.

Please pray for me.
  • Yeh thats rite following on from Κηφᾶς its the number of the devil

There was a lot of speculation on the 6/6/06 some misguided people thought the world would end -

why would the world end on the devils number? It didn't make any sense
  • [quote author=egyptianorthobeaut link=topic=5076.msg68308#msg68308 date=1173313649]
    hey guys,

Thanks and God bless     :)

where it exactly does it say 666 is a bad number in the Bible?

[quote author=person55 link=topic=5076.msg68353#msg68353 date=1173389097]

where it exactly does it say 666 is a bad number in the Bible?

You can find it in the book of Revelation.  Typically it is written out as 'six hundred and sixty six' or something like that.  If you look up 'the number of a man', you may be able to find it.

Please pray for me.

Sorry for the double post; more specifically Revelation 13:18

Please pray for me.
  • oh, ok. thanx!

aya khedma.  ;D

Please pray for me.
  • i think ithas to do something with mohammed and the devil, im not so sure myself, a lot of people did think that thge world was going to end

hope i helped, pray for me

EgY
  • i think i heard the samething. It have to do something with the Koran.

Do you happen to have any sort of reference about this concerning the Qur'an or Mohammed?  I'd be curious.  As far as I know, the most likely candidate for the antichrist was Nero.

Please pray for me.
  • hey Knwac

Wats ur name mean anyway???

more importantly whos nero and why do u think he was the anti-christ?

Also the number 666 is used in revalation, it says that during the days of the anti-christ u cant buy food, water etc if u dont have the number on ur forehead or wrist

Revalation 13:16-18
    "He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to recieve a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads. and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or or the name of the beast or the number of his name. Here is wisdom, Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666."

But i think in this day of age it could mean anything, for example the changing way we buy products with credit cards and the world being a "cash less society" so maybe, just maybe that these types of changes to the world will help the anti christ succeed in taking over the world.

My name is actually my real name written in Greek but derived from the aramaic (have I confused you yet? lol).

Nero was one of the emperors of Rome (he reigned circa 63 AD).  He was the first of the Roman emperors to persecute the Christians and he was the one that had Peter and Paul martyred (if I recall my history correctly).  Now, I personally do not believe Nero was the Antichrist (although he certainly was an antichrist).  I have no clue who the Antichrist will be and I don't think anyone can even begin to speculate.

As for the 666, again, I find it to be entirely symbolic, as I have posted before.  So, the number will not be tattooed anywhere or it will not be physically manifest in any way, shape or form.  To me, when Revelation talks about 'receiving the mark', it means that people will submit to and follow the Antichrist, making him their leader and eventually their god.  The fact that there is a reference to the right hand and forehead, to me, is symbolic as well.  The right hand has always been symbolic of authority (recall that Christ ascended into heaven and sat at the right hand of the Father).  All authority is given to Christ which is symbolized by His sitting at the right hand of the Father.  Anyway, back to the 666.  The 666 on the right hand and forehead is probably symbolic that people will render all authority (right hand) and thought (forehead) to the Antichrist.

Please pray for me.
  • how will being a cash less society help the anti-Christ succeed in taking over the world?

and Nero was a Roman emperor who burned down rome, murdered his mother, and was haunted by her spirit for the rest of his life. He also committed suicide in front of a slave. 

• "As for the 666, again, I find it to be entirely symbolic, as I have posted before.  So, the number will not be tattooed anywhere or it will not be physically manifest in any way, shape or form.  To me, when Revelation talks about 'receiving the mark', it means that people will submit to and follow the Antichrist, making him their leader and eventually their god.  The fact that there is a reference to the right hand and forehead, to me, is symbolic as well.  The right hand has always been symbolic of authority (recall that Christ ascended into heaven and sat at the right hand of the Father).  All authority is given to Christ which is symbolized by His sitting at the right hand of the Father.  Anyway, back to the 666.  The 666 on the right hand and forehead is probably symbolic that people will render all authority (right hand) and thought (forehead) to the Antichrist."

scary (the last part)
  • i dont know how a cash less society would help him, let him figure it out.

and your probably right i would think the number 666 is symbolic because it'll be to obvious that he is the anti-christ if he actually made ppl write 666.

Since he is going to pretend he is God it'll be a give away if he went around writing the devils number.

maybe he uses some other kinda symbol like for example the nazi sign, or maybe a company logo, or maybe 666 in a forgotten language that no body knows

• sorry im late for the subject lol..  but 666 doent mean that it will appear as 666 the number.. it could stand for words.... i dont rele remember right now exactly what it is.. words sentence etc. but it is not necesserly the number 666
  • Also, in Coptic, numbers are denoted by the alphabet. the number 6 in Coptic is denoted by a letter (called soo i believe) that is never used as a letter. It is reserved for the number 6. I believe this is the case for a couple other middle eastern language that developed during the same time as Coptic.
  • yes what you say is true, it is called soo however it is used BUT in verrry rare cases!
  • Guys,
    Here is my understanding on 666:

Revalation 13:16-18
    "He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to recieve a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads. and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or or the name of the beast or the number of his name. Here is wisdom, Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666."

Well, what happened in the year 666? It was the time that Constantinople was attacked by the Ottomans. It was a time when Islam crippled Christianity. Istanbul, or Constantinople had everything patched up: The churches at the time of Constantine the great were ONE; there was peace in the Roman Empire; the World was at peace.

* THe mark on the forehead is the mark that muslims have when they pray. They call it a zibiba. Its a dot on the forehead that they have that shows they pray to their god. All practicing muslims have this. In Islam, it is forbidden to use the left; you must always use your right: Your right hand, your right foot etc. whenever you do anything. For example: A muslim is expected to be right handed. There are more examples, but a muslim friend was telling me this: that they are obliged to use their right limbs to do everything, and then the left limb.

* No one may buy or sell unless they have that mark - means that being a Christian, or NOT of that mark, you cannot survive. I.e. there were times when you literally could do nothing as a Christian in any muslim dominated country. I do believe even Christians had to pay a gizia tax in some parts of the world to even be given the priviledge to live in that country.

* "Here is wisdom". Wisdom, in Greek is Sophia. Agios Sophia was the cathedral in which all this great mess happened. When the ottomans attacked in 666, they converted Agios Sophia to a mosque.
    Its now a museum. It is where Christianity was governed. CHristiam Roman Emperors from Saint Constantine to Saint Theodosius commissioned this cathedral.

* THe "number of his name"  : if we have understanding we can calculate the number of his name. well, in coptic, as well as other byzantine languages, numbers are actually letters with lines on top. I'm not a linguistic, but i think some interesting formulas can be constructed here by doing a little research....
  • In Revelation where it says they will recieve a mark on their right hand or on there forehead... Is that why we have a cross tattoed on our right hand?
  • i dont think that nero is the Anti-Christ ( or "was" )... that is because.. he will come as man.. a normal person... you will not knnow he is Anti-Christ till he is 30 or 28.. somthing like that... but.. when he is tghat age.. he will do what it said in chapter 13.. in Revelation for about 3 and a half years and die around 33 like Jesus Christ.. So i doubt that he was Anti-Christ lol... if so.. we probaly would know like while its happening lol
  • Hello,
    Well, apparently, the anti-Christ has just declared himself. He's a male from the USA, and lives in Miami. He and his followers get 666 tatooed on their right arms. He preaches that there is no sin.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,267561,00.html

I saw OMEN I, II and III, and all i can say is: WHERE ARE THE KNIVES OF MEGIDO?
  • [coptic]+ Pi`<rictoc aftonf>[/coptic]

::) oh brother.  I can't believe this guy is getting any press at all.  But then again, it is Fox news.  I wonder if Jeraldo will cover it.
  • [coptic]+ Pi`<rictoc aftonf>[/coptic]

I misspelled the name.  It's actually Geraldo.  Geraldo Rivera is a 'journalist' for Fox News.  And if it was unclear, I was being extremely sarcastic.
  • Who's Jeraldo... and that guy is not really doing some things that is says in Revelation... also in Revelation... it says that he will be doing lots of miracles .. like curing people and etc. and i dont see that happening lol... all he said is that im anti-christ and there is no sin or devil.
  • oh ok lol.. i was confused lol
  • and also about about the guy from miami who says hes antti christ... in Revelation it says that anti christ will come saying he is chirst... not anti christ ..... so the guy isnt so smart lol