Who's ur Hectic 5??

edited May 2004 in Faith Issues
whos ur hectic 5, as i like to call them,
in other words who are ur 5 favouritest saints or holy priests, or monks..etc

mine are: St George prine of martyrs, St Mary the mother of God and ever virgin, Pope Kryilos VI, Abouna Abdel Messieh El Manakry, and Anba Abraam bishop of Fayoum, and one extra, just to be different and make it 6, i also love Anba Abraam's disciple, Abouna Mikhial El Bahery (i probably spelt that wrong, plz 4give me)

let me know urs??

Comments

• Well see that's a hard question, :-\

I think I love all the Saints but maybe the ones very close to me are:

1. Archangel Michael, (My name in baptism and my life-time intercesor)
    2.Anba Abraam Bishop of Fayoum, (His Succecor baptized me)
    3.Filopateer Marcorious (Even though, my whole family asked him for something but he never replied, I still like him coz he's our family's intercessor.
    4.St. George The Roman Prince, one of the great knights and the very fast repliers!

and of course, The Mother of Us all, the true ever-Virgin, Mother of God, The Theotokos Saint Mary
  • 5 faves, in no paticular order...

St. Athanasius, St. Mary, St. Mina, St. Macrina, St. Andrew
  • Oh btw, mine were'nt in a ny order either, sry about that!

defender
  • That's a good question. For me, the 5 Saints are :
    1) The Virgin Mary,
    2) St George,
    3) St Mina,
    4) Pope Kyrollos VI
    5) Father Bishoy Kamel.

Thank you and may God bless you.

Pray for me.

KF
  • heyy thats a very good question
    in nor order ym 5 favorite saints are...

1. The virgin mary
    2. Saint Youstina
    3. Saint Pachomious
    4.Saint Mina
    5.Saint George
  • hello everyone,

my top 5,

Archangel Micheal
    St. George
    St. Abanoub
    St. Anthony
    St. Athansious (spelled wrong*)

-mina
  • hey man i think my favorite saints are

St.Mary
    St.Athanasius
    St.Mark
    St.Mina
    St.George

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  • not in order

Archangel Michael
    St. Mena
    St. George
    Anba Abraam
    St. Mary
  • I love Archangel Michael, he is litteraly my hero...
    Anyone else??

defender
  • wow heaps of ppl mentioned st george, that like common in all of them...
    thats gr8 keep it up...
  • Aside from all of our common coptic saints which everyone mentioned, I LOVE St. Theresa. No one really knows about her because she is a catholic saint, but I don't think that really matters. Her story is wonderful....look it up.
  • I know St. Theresa, hey wouldn't it be nice if some1 posted her story on the thread.

defender ;D
  • hey excellent question
    mine are:
    St.Mary
    Archangel Mikhaeel
    St.George
    St.Filopateer Marcorious
    St.Athanacioc
  • By the way, did u mean St. Theresa or Mother Theresa??
    Because I think they are two diffrent people, one that lived in the middle ages and the other was recent...

Defender
  • [move]Christos Alepsis!!![/move]

My 5 all time faves are:

1) The Ever-Virgin Theotokos Saint Mary!
    2) St Mary Of Egypt
    3) St Anthony Of Egypt
    4) St Symeon The New Theologian
    5) Tie between Sts Polycarp of Smyrna and St Ignatius of Antioch

The other 5 (lol):

6) St Gregory Palamas
    7) Abou Sefein
    8) St.Samaan
    9) St Synkletike The Nun
    10) St John Chrysostom

God bless you!

• Hey Boricou, I'm just wondering how we become God, (that's what ur signature says)

Defender
  • re-unification with Him that we can partake of His body and be one with His Spirit... we become a part of Him (we're the church) and He became a part of us..
  • OOOOOH, thanks, but I'm still kinda confused but it's Ok

defender
  • quick verse...
    "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. " John 15:4
  • [glow=red,2,300]Christ is Ascended!!!![/glow]

]The process and goal of every Orthodox Christian is Theosis or Deification. Many of the Holy Fathers teach that men are deified in the sense that the Holy Spirit dwells within Christian believers and transforms them into the image of God in Christ, eventually endowing them in the resurrection with immortality and God's perfect moral character.

One of the greatest Holy fathers,St Athanasius The Apostolic (whose feastday just passed!), even wirtes baout it in many of his letters! He says, "We are as God by imitation, not by nature"(Orations 3:20) ...which means we cannot ever be God becuase His Nature is inifinte and ours is finite..He is Divine and we are human..2 different natures. How can achieve theosis? According to St. Athanasius,"Albeit we cannot become like God in essence, yet by progress in virtue imitate God"(Ad Afros7). By living a devout Christian life ( following His Commandments, partaking of the Holy Sacraments, loving our neighbor and striving to acqurie Christ-like virtues) and much spiritual struggle.

St John of Damascus gives us an example on how we cannot never BE God we can be LIKE God. He says in the same way a sword lying in fire acquires the properties of fire (heat,light) it doesnt become fire..it remains a sword. This patristic teaching is not the same as other religious groups that claim a perverse version of "theosis" like the Mormons or Hindus for example, saying that man can become literally gods! It is only in Christ that we become inflamed with His "Fire". The Holy Spirit is that Fire! Thus the Sacraments are the primary ways of theosis since it is Christ Himself giving us of Himself..He is the furnace thru which we are smelt and forged into His Likeness and Image! We are called to "be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption [that is] in the world through lust...( 2 Peter 1:4).

Please forgive me for giving such a long explanation but it is not such a shallow teaching It seems I can't rarely give a short post..lol! But if this helps anybody in their understanding of what is the Orthodox Teaching on Salvation then I am happy serving!

P.S. Please pray for this big gamuz...TY.
  • gemuz means buffalo!!!

Thank You G.J.I . I know it means water buffalo..lol. Just asking for ur prayers for this big and sinful lug. Shukran Ahooyah... ;D!

God Bless!!!!
  • yeh not many ppl know that, they think it means cow, which is ba-rra, but i know it mean buffalo, water buffalo... c i know this, and yet ppl still make fun of my arabic...
    gypos are wierd i mean think about it
    goin up to some1 who u wanna insult and u say "you dont understand anything, u water Baffalo!!!"
    (enta mish fahim haga ya gemuzza)
    pfffft arabic Idioms...
  • Ummm in no particular order!

1. Pope Kyrollos
    2. Amba Wanas *pray 2 him when you loose things!*
    3. Abouna Mikhail El Bahary *disciple of Amba Abram*
    4. St Mary
    5. St George/ Abosefin!
  • Bro/Sis,

I have a list of 500 not 5,

I love them all and i am sure they All pray for me, though i Have some close ones.
  • wat do u mean Bro/sis man
    it me george u gemuza
    sup peet, i got subject selections, im still struggling
    george
  • Have u heard that gamus are not affected by mad cow disease...

Defender

Defender,

;D ;D ;D!!! Mooooooooooooooo!

Ehsif George!!!
  • what r u impling...
  • [quote author=Suzanne link=board=1;threadid=294;start=15#msg2678 date=1085743598]
    2. Amba Wanas *pray 2 him when you loose things!*

i thought u prayed to St. Anthony wen you loose things, or maybe thats juss the Catholics
    anyway, its hard to choose juss five...
    1. St. Mary
    2. St. George
    3. St. Moses the Black
    4. St. Abanoub
    5. Abouna Abdel Messieh