da vinci code - wats ur verdict

edited January 2005 in Faith Issues
hey guys

i was jus wonderin if any of use have read the book ' The Da Vinci Code' by Dan Brown if u have i was wonderin wat u thought of it. i myself read it an want to c wat u think

thanx mazza

Comments

• lots of topics about this actual;ly ahven't really read the book yet tho :))
  • it's on my "to do" list...wats it about?
  • It's a philosophy book..ideas of Da Vanci but many copts refuse to read it because it contains several parts about Christ's affair with Mary Magdelene but if you think that it won't weaken your faith then there's no harm in it. God bless.
  • there is another thread about this on this site chek it out if i can find it i'll post the link! but maybe someone else can post the link :)
  • it completly blashpemies our lord jesus saying that he was in love with mary magdalene and they got married and concieved a daughter called sarah. the book is an extremly persuasive one and has done alot of damage to our faith to non believers thinking that jesus was a normal human being with worldy lusts and so forth.
  • I'm not too sure about anything yet, I just started reading it...and im like at page 100....so up to now I haven't found anything crazy or heretical about the book, but I'm guessing it's still ahead. However, I'm sure if you just take the book as a NOVEL, it can't be that bad...i mean it's really well written and it's really interesting I find...or at least at the point where I am now...
  • after hearing wat i've heard about the book, it being blasphemous and all, i think there's no harm in actually reading it! All you need to remember is that this is someone else's opinion, and it should'nt be yours!

Either way, i'm still reading it to find out wat the hype is all about!
    (btw, wasnt there a first part of the book you have to read before reading this one??)

Coptic Servant
  • All you need to remember is that this is someone else's opinion, and it should'nt be yours!

That's a great way to think about it. The prelude to it is Angels and Demons I believe. Most of the Da Vinci Code is not on the Jesus issue.
  • there is also a new book out now called "Debugging Da Vinci Code" i think its suppose to prove it wrong i was told, i haven't read it yet but my dad has it in his office.
  • :) ;) :D ;D haaaaaaaay guys
    i heard bout that i wanna read it kind of im gonna ask ma FOC if i can neway hay minadoss did u say there was a book proving it wrong?? maaaaaad i wood definately read that :) ;) :D ;D

neways
    GBU ALL PPL AND MAY NO1 OF US STRAY FROM THIS WONDERFUL FAITH :) ;) :D ;D

FROG ;)

+wen u r down 2 nuffin... GOD is up to sumfin ;) :D+
  • hey guys,
    everytyme i attept to post thsi topic summin happens haha hopefully nuthing will happen now so ill re-post what i posted ina previous thread on this

aghape,
    chris

neway this book is based on heretic writings the church condemned years ago. Im sure all of you are falimiar with the heresy of gnosticism

heres sum stuff about Gnosticism
    and How the Da Vinci code relates?

Gnosticism was a dualistic, esoteric mode of thinking that was widespread during the early Christian era, although its influence was not confined to Christianity. The Gnostic Gospels are works reflecting the Gnostic take on Christianity. Some have been known for centuries, but previously unknown works — in the Nag Hammadi scrolls — were discovered in Egypt in 1945.

Some modern scholars and religious writers have seized upon various passages from the Gnostic Gospels as indicative of a competing, woman-centered element of early Christianity, especially a passage from The Gospel of Mary in which Jesus kisses Mary and the apostles express envy of His love for her. Brown works this thinking into his novel, but, like many others, ignores a deeply anti-woman passage from another Gnostic gospel, the Gospel of Thomas, in which Jesus says, "For every woman who will make herself male will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven."

Gnosticism was rejected by Christianity, but not because of gender issues. Its claims (two gods, a belief that the created world was evil) were simply inconsistent with the rule of faith, as it was called, handed down from the apostles.

The canonical Gospels all date from the middle to late first century. The Gnostic gospels cannot be placed any earlier than the mid-second century. It is ironic, as historian James Hitchcock has pointed out, that elements of a profession that have for years derided the Gospels as unreliable history have now seized on later documents as reliable guides to Jesus' intentions.

Dan Brown indicates that the Gnostic Gospels were widely accepted in early Christianity and that Constantine ordered them destroyed. Is this true?

No. The process of discerning the authentic Gospels was a lengthy one, but it had already begun in the early second century. Some communities used various other Gospels, but second-century Church Fathers frequently cited the four Gospels as authoritative. Their criteria were apostolic origins and fidelity to the rule of faith, not gender issues. Brown's conspiracy theory is a fabrication. Moreover, the final determinations about what constituted the Christian canon of Scripture were made by councils held after Constantine's time.

Other Flaws in The DaVinci Code

Besides being logically and historically flawed, The Da Vinci Code is filled with more minor, but no less risible, errors. Here are a few:

One of Brown's scholars says, "As the prophesied Messiah, Jesus toppled kings, inspired millions and founded new philosophies." We'd like to meet those toppled kings.

The Emperor Constantine did not make Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire in A.D. 325. It happened under Theodosius 50 years later.

Gothic architecture was not "masterminded" by the Knights Templar, a medieval military order that had nothing to do with the construction of Gothic cathedrals.

The Church did not burn 5 million witches during the Middle Ages. During the period 1400-1800, an estimated 30,000-50,000 people accused of witchcraft (20 percent of whom were men) were executed by Catholic and Protestant institutions and governments.

Theres A Book About its blasphemy so if you choose to read it though i highly recommend you Use this book as a companion....
    [urlhttp://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=6F22SX6IdL&isbn=1592761011&itm=1[/url]

it depresses me what this world is coming to anyway hope i helped sorry to make it so long but i did my bestto try to keep it short

aghape,
    chris

looking forward to reading other's thoughts about this
  • Hey guys-

i read this book and all though it is absolute blasphamy the book itself is very good. I agree w/wat ServantOfJesus said before. As long as u dont let the book get to you then its fine. we all know its a bunch of non-sense but it kept me guessing becuase it was a mystery filled adventure. (starting to sound like a critic lol) If u havent read it yet u should--just make sure it doesnt negatively affect u spiritually.

Pray for Peace,
    magy
  • just wondering why would u read something tht is a bunch of nonsense. i mean if we knw tht none of it is true then i guess we shouldn't read it....it's just my oponion

Thanks and God Bless,
    Marianne
  • just wondering why would u read something tht is a bunch of nonsense. i mean if we knw tht none of it is true then i guess we shouldn't read it....it's just my oponion

I agree.Unless one reads it in order to refute its false assertations.But to read it for pleasure makes no sense.How can a person enjoy something that slanders and blasphemes our Lord? ??? :)
  • I agree why waste your time reading something you wont benifit from in anyway?? how bout you pick up the bible, and read that for pleasure, u learn the word of God rather then something that means absouloutly nothing to ur spiritual, or intellectual life! How about u pick up a book about the life of a church father, or a siant, or anything spiritual, rather then something that completely slanders the name of our Lord?? okay thats it for me :)

Maria
  • how bout you pick up the bible, and read that for pleasure, u learn the word of God rather then something that means absouloutly nothing to ur spiritual, or intellectual life!

Amen! :)
  • the information in it is not real thats y its nonsense BUT that doesnt mean the book is bad.....if u look past that its an actual good book---(just saying)... i guess if u really are gonna take this issue that seriously then its better off not to read it at all... :)
  • I don't think its a matter of wrong as much as it is a matter of the fact that we are responsible before God for what we do with our time...so if you don't read ur Bible masalan or any other Christian beneficial books & this FICTION book full of Blasphemy comes you're way and ur dying to read that then maybe you should check urself...thats all we're saying

• i think that we shouldnt believe everything we see or hear on t.v.! things like that make us weaker and thats wut the devil is trying to do to us. so we need to be strong and believe and most importantly pray :)
    God Bless
  • so if you don't read ur Bible masalan or any other Christian beneficial books & this FICTION book full of Blasphemy comes you're way and ur dying to read that then maybe you should check urself...thats all we're saying

I agree with Copt4lifes post.She's right on target..It's not wrong to read books that disagree with christianity if your purpose is general education or in order to be able to refute unsound ideas.As Sun-Tzu {in the book "The Art of War "}once said:'Know your enemy".Yes, you must be able to recognise the strengths and weakness of your enemy in order to effectively combat them.This type of reading is commendable.But when you read soley for pleasure,how can you say;"Well this book has some blaspemies in it but still it's a pretty good and interesting story".How can you find one ounce of enjoyment in a book that slanders and blasphemes the very Lord that died on your behalf,suffered that you might have eternal life.I cant understand how any christian could even think this foul book has anything to offer or be able to derive pleasure from reading such a demonically inspired piece of trash...lol...Hope I havent offended anyone with my strong opinion...lol... :)
  • But when you read soley for pleasure,how can you say;"Well this book has some blaspemies in it but still it's a pretty good and interesting story".How can you find one ounce of enjoyment in a book that slanders and blasphemes the very Lord that died on your behalf,suffered that you might have eternal life.I cant understand how any christian could even think this foul book has anything to offer or be able to derive pleasure from reading such a demonically inspired piece of trash...

AMEEEEEEEEEENNNNN JFRANKLIN...i hope everyone takes this quote SERIOUSLY and I wish WE WOULD JUST END THIS THREAD AT THAT reallly....caz this site is too good for talkin about that piece of trash in my opinion at least....this book has already got enuff publicity off us!!
  • ok

im realli sorry guys for postin it if it made use all really angry
    god bless
    mazza
  • im realli sorry guys for postin it if it made use all really angry

:)

You didnt make us angry...lol...Dont feel bad... our anger was against the book itself,certainly not directed towards you...forgive my zeal in defending the Lord's honor,sometimes I go overboard or am misunderstood.I'm so glad to read all of your posts and this one was a good one.It brought to our attention a book that needs to be exposed.Thank you for doing just that. :)
  • Here's a pretty good review of it:

http://archive.salon.com/books/feature/2004/12/29/da_vinci_code/

Basically, it's way way factually inaccurate, even to the point where the "expert" characters in the book get the languages in which the key documents they're talking about are written wrong (note that this kind of error can cause huge proplems in discerning gender, and different languages do very different things with grammatical gender!). Serious scholars -- yes, even secular scholars who don't have any religious investment one way or the other -- find it laughable.

Note that most of the info in the book comes from a shoddily-researched conspiratorial book that was popular in the 1980s - "Holy Blood, Holy Grail". What Brown did was work that book -- which was written in non-fiction style -- into a novel with a story line. It hits many triggers of religious missatisfaction in the Western world --- especially feminist missatisfaction -- combined with exciting thriller conspiracy theories, and whoooosh! Best seller.

That said, if you are aware that the book is fiction and has just about zilch to do with reality, and you want to read it just for fun anyway, OK, I guess there's nothing wrong with that (although I personally suspect that the reason people get such a kick out of it is because they like thinking 'what if'.... without that false link to reality, there's probably lots of fictional books which would be way more interesting/popular).

However, if there is a chance that the shoddy research of the book could, because of its ties to the thrilling plot, influence your core personal belief, well, that's a different thinkg. In that case, I would say, don't read the book... maybe check out something like C.S. Lewis' "Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold" if you want to read something that puts a new spin on an old story.

Really, there's a lot of wonderful books out there that one could be spending one's time on instead of that one.

• hey, i agree with everyone about not reading it because it is simply a waste of your time and you could be reading much more benefitting material instead...

also, a veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy importnat thing i was told, never read anything like this or other theological works or learn about other religions, until you are truly truly solid in your faith first. because if you are not you can easily be shaken and confused...
  • hey shaq

wel um not everyfin u said was right. if u have a strong faith- nothing you can read can make u change ur mind, EVER!!!!!
    if you beleive with all your heart wel then thats great but dont get me wrong if u feel ur faith isnt as strong an u can b convinced then dont ever read it
  • [quote author=mazza link=board=1;threadid=1151;start=15#msg22320 date=1111314978]
    hey shaq

wel um not everyfin u said was right. if u have a strong faith- nothing you can read can make u change ur mind, EVER!!!!!
    if you beleive with all your heart wel then thats great but dont get me wrong if u feel ur faith isnt as strong an u can b convinced then dont ever read it

I previously thought the same..I recently learned though that no one's faith is strong enough that they can say that their it is strong enough to be tested. The devil is much stronger than we think..how do we know that our faith is strong? What exactly is strong? Never test your faith. I was encouraging people to read it and I was going to read it myself but I learned that even though I may think my faith is strong..the devil is much stronger. Again, don't test your faith. God bless.
  • Never test your faith

Is that really wise? True faith does not mean being ignorant of foreign thinking. The time will come when you will be exposed to these ideas against your will...