coptic cross tattoos

Comments

• i'd like to get a cross tattoo but mama and baba wont let me :( lol... and i'm old enough to get it done if i wanted to here...

unfortunately, we know of somone who has hepititis C (i think it's C) because of the cross tattoo, so baba's getting overprotective.
    he told me that even if the needle is new and stuff, diseases can be carried through the ink itself.

i actually researched this and know that some places have disposable ink packages... but baba isnt convinced :( lol

i'd fight more for it if i wasnt terrified of needles... i dont mind alotta wierd things- gross stuff like blood (lol)... insects... etc... but needles? UGH, hate them :) lol

take care and God bless
  • approximately sumthin like 60% of the egyptian populations has hepatitus C or will by the 2030 or sumthin (sumthin i read sumwhere...cant remember where...) isnt hepatitus C the one that hasta do with kidney infections n diseases...my point is it would be hard to pinpoint that they got it frum the cross tattoo...apparently the drinkin water is bad enuff... i wouldnt be afraid to get one done here...my mom doesnt want me gettin one either so my dad offered to take me behind her bak :) lol but i think ill jus wait til i can convince her.....that might take a while !! bas ma3lesh... Crazy Copt maybe we should set a deadline n try to convince our parents by then n then go get it together ....!!!! yay!! hehehehe m gettin ahead of maself here ament i...anyways my point was CrazyCopt i dun think the hepatitus C issue is much of a concern here :) m out buhbyez@!
  • lol Copt4Life, i hope not!

if my parents wont let me have it now, i'll do it when/if i get married lol... when i'm more free lol

but you know what, we can go together!! i kno of some place downtown that does it, but you'll have be 18 first lol...
    and you cant be laughing at my reactions ;) :D

take care and God bless
  • hi..um i'm totally supporting u getting your cross tatoo and everything but u need to make sure the needle is clean...did u know that most people get aids and hiv....ex.
  • oh my dad has one of those coptic cross tattoos... and personally i don't know where u get one i think my dad got it done in egypt..
  • i actually want one both my parents got theres .there pretty cool i might get one in the near future
  • its aproximately 1 yr aniversary since i got mine!
    yeh
  • [quote author=Copt4Life link=board=1;threadid=1112;start=30#msg18890 date=1106521671]
    isnt hepatitus C the one that hasta do with kidney infections n diseases...

Liver. Usually leads to inflammation, which causes your liver not to do its job. Which is basically to absorb all the things that can do harm to our body. So if you swallow something toxic, your liver will take the hardest hit, since it is trying to keep it from spreading to your body. That is why people who drink alcohol have liver inflammation; you're basically drinking poison. If you have HC it might feel like you have a flu, that doesn't seem to go away. Anyway, the thing about the ink is correct. If i'm not mistaken, the virus can survive outside of the body. However, can't survive under extreme heat. C virus is a large problem in Egypt. The bottom line is, God is in our hearts, not our wrists. However, sometimes it is nice to have a reminder. Just be cautious.
  • I agree with ya, MArk. I talked it over with my mom, she said shes ok with it and everythin if I really insist, she was pretty open to what I had to say but in the end she told me, if you need a reminder the Cross you carry is enough and that convinced me, I do not have to go through stamping my body and disobeying a commandment when God provided me with an alternative.

God Bless you all, remember me in ur prayers.

Mike
  • just wanted to thank ilovesaintmark for that really good explination...
    KEEP IT UP !!

shenouda
  • the third reason servant of jesus, cough cough that we got from from mina lol

is that during the persicution times u represented urself
    people get them on their hand caus when u shake hads w some1 u see that their christian

ALSO because its on ur wrist
    now if u didnt know
    if u cut that area its like suicide, theres so many veins there
    oh u just die slowlyy
    yah and behind ur leg too, but i dont think wed put a cross there now would we?
  • i want one too but my mom keeps telling me "when ur older" she thinks that i might change my mind and regreat getting it... :(
  • and she is right... you might not like it in a year or two... who knows.
  • ill be frank
    im too much of a punk
    i would run away if put with the choice of death or christ

i shouldnt put the cross on my wrist if im not willing to die for jesus,

so my theory is to put is on my hand, so it means that im willing to represent christ and suffer for him but im a woss to die for him...

i feel rotten saying so but its tru, i cant be a martyr. :'(
  • there is nothing wrong... just pray about it.... but if you dont feel comfortable doing it... THEN DONT
  • awad... dont fear anyone or anything other them God... a friend told me this b4... dont fear someone who can hurt ur flesh.. fear someone who can take ur soul.. whick is God.. he is da one who can wipe out everyone anytime.. just pray that he strengthens u..

• "And do not fear those who kill the body but can not kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." Matt. 10: 28

Yea, it's a great verse. No, you can be a martyr..you can do ANYTHING if Christ is with you. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 All you need is to have faith that even though we are weak, Christ is our strength..who can be called righteous? We are but flesh but if the Lord is our strength, who can prevent us from doing his will? God bless.
  • I am not sure about it but I think it is because of our history. The arab made our grand parents to wear a very heavy cross and after a while their neck used to be blue, also it referes to the cross the god carried it for us.
  • With all respect guys but can JFRANKLIN tells me where exactly at the Bible it said do not have a tatoo on your body
  • [quote author=Marianne87 link=board=1;threadid=1112;start=15#msg18785 date=1106449230]
    k...where in the bible does it say so?
    and i would have a tattoo...but just the cross on my wrist and nothing else...and i didn't knw all these stories, but i always feel like a cross on my wrist tht i will just look at it and feel happy and comforting...i sometimes actually look at my wrist and imagine tht...lol
    I don't knw i think i will feel comfort when i will have one...

I asked the same question....it never got answered....lol ???
  • You must not have read my post on page 2 ...lol... ;D...

(Leviticus 19:28)
  • my bad :)

A related question then...How come the church justifies it...or is it just becuase it is a cross and nothing else?
  • :)
    I cant speak for the Coptic Church but I do know some christians reject tattoos based on the Old Testament Scripture while others point out we are under a
    New Covenant and have great freedom in Christ i.e. "all things are lawful{permissable}but not all things edify....",etc. :)
  • Got it....thanks a lot
    just had to say that....u have an answer to every question...man...u are good....lol :)
    GOd Bless and keep on doing it
  • Guys, check out page two of this thread. A lot of it has already been covered.
  • just had to say that....u have an answer to every question...man...u are good....lol

I have an answer for every question but is it the right answer,hmm...lol... ;D....but thanks for the compliment..."blush,blush" :-[ ;)
  • lol...it's usually is the right answer....hope i knw half the stuff u knw.....
    i should actually stop posting...lol
  • i should actually stop posting...lol

Never!...lol ;D
  • kkkkkkk, i think that we should not take the Bible literally word for word. however we should take the message that it is trying to give us about how we should live our lives. Also the cross is a symbol of christianity. when u get the tatoo of the cross u are not only telling God that u accpet him into your life but u are also realizing ur chrisitaninty. I personally dont have the cross but i wouldn't mind getting it. Even if its painful , the pain will prolly only last a couple of hours or sumthing. My cousin has a huge tatoo of a cross on his arm and none of the priests have told him he is wrong. i encourage the cross
  • Ive had this question in my head for a while.... Why is it OK for us to get a tattoo of a cross but nothing else. I really like the answer by jfranklin, that that bible verse is the old testament.

As for the argument of HH Pope having the tattoo, I think that is irrelevant, because the pope (probably) did not choose to have the tattoo put on....he (probably) had it done by his parents when he was a child.

As for the size... who is to say what is acceptable? I have seen copts with 2 inch (liteally that big) tattoos on their wrist in fancy designs....who is to say that is wrong, but 1cm tattoo is OK? what size becomes too big?

What about other tattoos? I met one guy that wants to have the icon of Archangel Michael tattoo'd on his back (his whole back). He wants as a chance to witness when he plays street ball. Is that OK? Where do you draw the line?

The comment about the Bible not approving of the tattoos in todays society....what Tattoos were there in the time the Bible was written? True it applicable for ALL generations, not just todays society...
    I think its easier and safer just to say no tattoo's and follow what guidelines we have in the Bible. Just my 2 piasters...
    In Christ,
    me