coptic cross tattoos

13»

Comments

• [quote author=elshammaa link=board=1;threadid=1112;start=60#msg19225 date=1106834655]
    As for the argument of HH Pope having the tattoo, I think that is irrelevant, because the pope (probably) did not choose to have the tattoo put on....he (probably) had it done by his parents when he was a child.

i dont know bout u guys but i heard HH doesnt have a cross tattoo lol, i cannot confirm but it's what i heard more than once

As for the size... who is to say what is acceptable? I have seen copts with 2 inch (liteally that big) tattoos on their wrist in fancy designs....who is to say that is wrong, but 1cm tattoo is OK? what size becomes too big?

its not a matter of size i think, it's a matter of intention, why do u want a tattoo? if u do it cause it looks cool (probably the reason u would want a big one) than that would be wrong in my view.
    Other tattoos follow the same argument; if u want a tattoo for good christian intentions then why in the world would u want ur whole back to be covered by a tattoo?
    I think the Old Testament (for a part) was also speaking against tattoo's because a lot of people would get tattoo's for paganism and adorning or showing off or in a way worship ur own body (same as now sometimes), so i dont think it's totally forbidden to have a small cross but anything more than that would fall under the wrong reasons...

slechts mijn twee centen (yup, dutch :P)
  • Very strong points by Hos Erof.

• Thank you all for your insightful comments. I have a follow up question... Obviously any action that you do with bad intentions will be wrong. However, some actions are a sin in and of themselves, meaning the sin is the action itself (eg. Lying, stealing, killing).

So, my question is: Is the action of getting a tattoo wrong? If not, then it is possible to have a tattoo cover your back for a "good" intention.

Then when you try to convince someone not to get it, it decreades to an argument about what is a "good" intention. I cant imagine this geing good an sunday school or at home trying to teach your kids. Any comments, advice, experience would be helpful. Thanks, IN Christ,
    Mike
  • hayy. . . lol dis is my second topic to write in coz i juss registeredd so guys make me feel welcummed
    anways i jus got bak from egypt 2 weeks ago n i got dis madd cross dun on my old one coz it had worn away (it dus dat afta a while, gets lighter) and it looks awesome. . . i got da guy to change da needle as well in front of my own eyes so i was sure i wasnt gonna get sik or anything.
    i got it done in front of St.Marys El Veiton ( the one where She appears? i think)

it doesnt matter if you have one or not, as long as the cross is engraved in your heart
  • most of the reason those rules were set for the jews at that time were to protect them. that's why they weren't allowed to eat fruit from newly planted trees for 3 years or wear clothing woven of 2 different fabrics. tattoo's at that time were dangerous and aside from that tattoos at that time were considered pagan traditions. if you read the rest of leviticus 19, or really most of leviticus it set a lot of rules for the jews at that time, and some of them don't necessarily pertain to us today. now i do not condone prostituting out your daughter, but i have never met anyone who had a problem wearing clothing woven of 2 different fabrics. we should not pick and choose which rules to follow, however we should live by the guidance of the holy spirit.

side note: i have a 1 inch coptic cross on my wrist and if ever confronted about it, i would stand up for my faith until death.
  • I was thinking of having an LED screen mounted to my back and sell advertising space, as I walked around.  How stupid are tattoos?...very.
  • haahhahaha a cross tattoo is like a sign just to make sure you are not some spy
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=1112.msg117148#msg117148 date=1280283327]
    I was thinking of having an LED screen mounted to my back and sell advertising space, as I walked around.  How stupid are tattoos?...very.

Why are tattoos stupid? What makes them stupid?
  • Guys, I don't think this is that serious of a topic. The idea of getting a tattoo won't upset God for the purpose of tattooing. We have to just be honest with ourselves. What are our intentions, and the heart behind our motives. Also I think it is important to have a Father of Confession to okay it before we make the decision. To be honest it is a spiritual decision as much as a physical one, so they have to make sure we are ready for something like this.

Of course, I think flashy ones are just distracting from the meaning, but everything is lawful. Just again, we have to test our intentions and not hold anything back from our FOC's.

I've had mine for a bit over a year now, and I got it in a point in my life where it was just right. I've never regretted it and love having it on my wrist. I just don't like making a big deal about it. Our God is a simple God, no need to over complicate our faith.

Pray for me.
  • Ioannes,

I was talking about the all over the back, the arms, legs, and that stuff (snakes, girlfriends, boyfrieds, mermaids, etc.).  I was not talking about the cross.