wear black?????

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
i was wondering
after all the things that r going on right now and the latest, sylvias death, r we supposed to wear black
i know she in a better place
but wouldnt the culture comdemn us if i dont were black after one of my good friends died
my opinion is that it doesnt make a difference
whats in the heart is whats in the heart
no one can change it
what do u guys say????????

Comments

• u dont ahve to ware black if u dont want to
  • will wearing black bring them back?
  • we must rejoice and be exceedingly glad for great is her reward in heaven.
    we should not mourn.
    and i know is hard.
  • yeah but should we or should we not wear it
    it wont bring them back
    o i wish it could
  • no
    wearing black is pointless, its just a cultural thing that, in reality, has absolutely no significance
    i for one absolutely hate it when ppl wear black for forty days or more... its pointless.... its CLOTHES and its on teh OUTSIDE..... wat counts is wats in ur heart n mind.. something that can only be found on the INSIDE
    just my say on this topic...
  • i know that once a youth in our church died in a shooting and a few sunday school servants did something very brave and that was wear white at the funeral....we should be happy for them.... it was one of the most heartwrenching funerals i ever went to but keepin my eyes on the servants dressed in white reminded me that our sister...this member of the youth.. was okay and home
  • i guess that it is pointless for wearing black
    thanx for clearing it up
  • yes but wearing black does show a sighn of respect and symphphy for the person
  • I don't think it's pointless...yeah people see it more as it is a culture thing or w/e, but it's to show sadness...If it doesn't matter to show the sadness outside as inside, then it doesn't matter if people wear it or not.
    K...i just look at it like for instance on Good Friday or something, abouna and the deacons, they wear black or purple (a symbol of sadness)....why do we like that then?...we know that we are sadned by the death of Jesus christ...but we still showing it.
    Let it be inside as outside, that we are sadned by the lose of the people that we love.
  • the deacons, they wear black or purple (a symbol of sadness)....why do we like that then?...

we wear black... the church is sadend, to remind us of our sins... and how we should be sad...

people take things to extremes... wearing black... it shows that we dont believe in eternal life... how could I be sad, if I know my friend is in heaven? how could I wear black for the person who met the pridegroom?
  • y do priests wear black? (off topic maybe)

but ya wearing black shows you care about what happened; and im actually goin to wear black for a bit.

love
  • I never said wearing black is wrong... everyone should do what pleases them. but it is not wrong, not to wear black during the these times.
  • as long as you believe where they're going, i don't think it really matters what colour you wear.. but i do think that there's something very beautiful in wearing white after a Christian dies..
  • now i have mixed feelings
    i know that it doesnt make a diff but i shows that u are saddened but on the other hand its a celebration in a way
  • ppl in heaven wear white caus they are happy that they are in heaven

ppl on earth wear black bc they are sad that they left

wear black, i know that ur happy their in heaven and thats fine but it comemorates ur missing her with u,

plus its unhealthy, u need time to mourn, dont rush urself into recovery, u need to feel the pain to the fullest before u can move on.
  • it isnt healthy not to be sad. but it isnt healthy to be sad, also.

now that I confused you... lol... sorry...

where did we come from? HEAVEN, what do they do in HEAVEN? dont wear black... but I agree wear black in the funeral... but not more... I would never wear a red shirt to a funeral... but I would wear it the day after, when I visit the dead's family.
  • I refuse to where black at funerals. I wear white. You should have seen me at the funeral. All the black, and one white throughout the whole thing. I regret it not one bit. I'm happy for those who are in heaven.

sleepy
  • but we need to watch for the family's feelings... the live ones... they mis-take it, and the understand it in the wrong way.
  • That's true, but I'm not wearing it for people, I'm wearing it for the reposed ones, also, Sylvia and I talked about it before anything happened, and we both agreed that we would wear white to funerals becasue we are happy for the ones going to heaven, I didn't knwo that I would have to test this out on her though. :-\

sleepy

• 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted.

romans12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
    12:16 Be of the same mind toward one another.

food for thought...
    If our family is wearing black, out of sadness we should wear black also...
    Shenouda ;)
  • CopticAngel,

both answers are correct. do what your heart and soul, as they are inspired by your beliefs, regard you to do.

In the Book of Revelation it mentions: "Who are these wearing white robes, and where did they come from?" I said to him, "My lord, you are the one who knows." He said to me, "These are the ones who have survived the time of great distrss; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

"For this reason they stand before God's Throne and worship Him day and night in His temple. The one who sits on the throne will shelter them.
    They will not hunger or thirst anymore, nor will the sun or any heat strike them.
    For the Lamb who is in the center of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to springs of life-giving water, and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."
    (Rev. 7:13-17)

I pray that you give God the opportunity to wipe away your tears regardless of what you decide. May he grant solace to your heart.
  • I think abouna said something about this before.. he said u should wear white because you are happy for them.. but then at a funeral abouna's wife was wearing black and i asked her about it and she says it shows respect for the person... so i dunno.. i am all confused now :o ??? ???
  • ok u wear black if u sad...u wear white if ur happy....r u happy Sylvia is dead..of course not..she is like ur best friend right?...but ur happy shes in heaven....so ya know what wear white.....(or a bright color) unless ur parents tell u to wear black 'cuz u still gota be obediant and stuffs
  • depending whether or not wearing black is good or bad depends on the time in place wuts interesting by wearing clothing sometimes it actuallu shows your current emotions. so its not whether or not u should wear black its whether orn not the right time to wear black
  • what about this; wear both... wear a white shirt...and black pants, or skirt... or the other way around...
  • smart thinking socoolbishoy ;)
  • Wearing black is an old tradition, Tasouny ANGEEL had White dress in Abouna Bishouy Kamel Funeral
  • yes she did... but she was comfortable doing that
  • I wore black and white for a solid week. Black pants on a white shirt, only cause I didn't have white pants. lol.

sleepy

P.S. I didn't mean to offend anyone, but that's what I firmly believe, and I'll see what abouna has to say about it