coptic cross tattoos

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Hey guys, im hopefully getting a tattoo 2moro of a coptic cross, anybody got an idea of where i should look for coptic cross tattoos... please post here of if you wanna message me or email me, that's fine.... thanks guys :)

Comments

• I personally got mine in Egypt this summer when I visited one of the monasteries. They are very clean and they used all new equipment, and I made the man doing it promise like a million times that I wasn't going to get any horrible diseases or infections. lol and Thank God so far so good, so my recommendation would actually be if you wait and get it done in Egypt, if that’s possible. It is very clean, looks great, and the money goes to the house of God. Oh and it really didn't hurt, it only took like 5 minutes and I had an abouna hold my other hand because I looked like I was going to pass out. lol

May God be with you

In his name
  • see the thing is i dunno when im coming back and i wanted to get soon.... but i dunno, i heard it's a lot more clean if u get it done here, plus u can even design it urself or put coptic words next to it, i don't in egypt they do that.... all they know is put just 1 cross and that's it.
  • I got mine done in Egypt,and it was really clean. The man changed the needle in front of me, and it barely took any time at all, and it wasn't painful. Egypt is a realyl godo choice in my opinion, but if you want to get it done in America, by all means go ahead, but I don't have any advice on it. Sorry :-\

sleepy
  • I'm still thinkning about the whole tatoo thing, but tell me, what does it feel to have that tatoo and how were u convinced of getting one?

Mike
  • i really would love to have one, but every time i bring it up my mom tells me how unsafe tthat is with the needles, especially in egypt, so it was amazing to hear that
    also the thing is that i would rather jump of a building than have a needle get stuck in me so thats why im not a shot person.
    i dunno, r u sure it doesnt hurt. do they give u anastasia or somehing
    tell me cuz i might do it
  • [quote author=Coptic Angel link=board=1;threadid=1112;start=0#msg18657 date=1106342888]
    i really would love to have one, but every time i bring it up my mom tells me how unsafe tthat is with the needles, especially in egypt, so it was amazing to hear that
    also the thing is that i would rather jump of a building than have a needle get stuck in me so thats why im not a shot person.
    i dunno, r u sure it doesnt hurt. do they give u anastasia or somehing
    tell me cuz i might do it

hahha... im pretty sure it doesn't hurt that bad...
    i'll give u an example, say that u gotta sun burn right? and I slap you where u got ur sun burn... it would hurt right? it might leave a mark for a day or 2, but then your fine...

that's wut it feels like, lol
  • LOL
    yeah
    but its not really about how much it hurts, its about the fact that there would be a needle next to me
    i cant stand that
    how can u get ur mind off of it when ur getting it done
  • i never got a tattoo by the way, lol...

but u can look away? read a magazine, play with ur cell phone :P
  • Trust me guys, ITS NOT AS BAD as u think it is. I got my first ones when I was 16 and some others last year, and it's really not too bad. The needle simply goes in and out so fast that u don't really have time to feel it or anything. However don't do like me and get a 3-hour tattoo done with a sunburn on your arm :-\ but it really won't hurt that much it's very easily bearable pain. and to answer CopticAngel's question, no they do not give u anything to stop the pain since it's not really even worth it the pain isnt much.

Hope this isn't too confusing ???

God Bless U all
  • wait and get it in a monestary in egypt
    i dont advise getting one at some tattoo place

only cauz if u get it done at a monastery it will give u a more religious surrounding and it will make u feel like ur saying

hey god i love u, this is for u

it wont feel the same when theres some dude with a mohawk getting money of u for drugs.

i dont mean to stereotype but thats how i would feel, i know there are some clean places thu so just be careful where u chose to get something as special as that done.

u want to feel that gods there w u when u get it done!!!
  • :)

I thought the Bible forbids tattoos and piercings?
  • I have a tatoo.... but I agree with JFranklin... do we just justify it for ourselves, and not for others?
  • Hey, do you all know why Copts have these tatoos? It's interesting how people don't know how it started. Lemme know if you'd like me to share, or someone else, please share.

May the grace of God be with us all
  • OH OH OH OH!!! I WANNA KNOW!!! TELL ME TELL ME :)
  • :)

What would be the reason to get a tattoo when God says in the Bible not to put a tattoo on your body? I'd really like to hear the story. ;D
  • The reason we put the cross.. correct me if im rong... is because when little children in egypt long ago used to have their parents killed by muslims... teh muslims would take the little kids and convert them. So the parents put teh tatoos so that they would always know they were Christians.

• Mike: to answer your question about how it feels like to have a tattoo and how were u convinced of getting one?

How it feels physically is very natural like it is a part of my body, I never thought that it would feel this natural for it to be on my wrist actually.

How does it feel like to have the tattoo of the cross spiritually is a whole different story. It makes me feel strong like it is shielding the devil from me, and it gives my body power and strength, and it also comforts me when I look at it because the cross is the biggest symbol of Christianity and Christ.

I didn't get the cross because it was fashionable or because it is looks "cool." Personally I got it because ever since I could remember I always heard this verse eco in my head "And he who does not take his cross and follow Me is not worthy of Me" Matt. 10:38 and Matt. 16:24 and Mark 8:34. Personally I hate wearing any type of jewelry and if it wasn't for my earring that I got when I was 5 days old I personally wouldn't wear them, so this was a way for me to carry my cross all the time every where I go.

Coptic Angel: It is very safe to have it done in Egypt, the person who did my cross was actually a doctor that worked in the monastery, and he opened everything right in front of me, and believe me it was all new. Also he told me that everyone was given orders by Pope Shenouda III to use brand new equipment every time.

About the pain level I too feel the same way about you when it comes to needles, but honestly it really didn’t hurt thinking about it and freaking myself out was a lot scarier than actually getting it done. Mina the example you gave about how it would feel like sounds actually worst then getting the tattoo, lol great imagination nonetheless. ;D

Movedbylove: Please share and I’ll add my two cents after you. ;)

In his name
  • My mom told me that when the persecutions were severe in egypt, the copts used to make tatoos of the cross to show that they don't fear death. There are also great meanings for the small cross that we get on our wrist. I don't remember all but here's two:
    1) It's green and blue to represnt the pain
    of the martyrs.
    2) It's small to remind us how small our
    cross is compared to Christ's.

Sorry, I can't remember anymore :-\
  • Wait i have a question...whats the point of getting a tatoo on your body of a cross if it says in the bible that you shouldn't have any body piercings or tatoos. If you have a cross hanging from your neck it would have the same meaning , only it is safe for your body.
  • k...where in the bible does it say so?
    and i would have a tattoo...but just the cross on my wrist and nothing else...and i didn't knw all these stories, but i always feel like a cross on my wrist tht i will just look at it and feel happy and comforting...i sometimes actually look at my wrist and imagine tht...lol
    I don't knw i think i will feel comfort when i will have one...
  • I think if the Pope has it, we shouldn't sit here and worry about it being wrong. It's one thing being proud of your faith and just getting it to look cool or something. It all depends on your intentions. God bless.
  • so what if the pope has it, the pope is not perefect.... I got my Cross tatoo when I was young... but its great to know it actually has stories behind it.
  • Here is an interesting commentary about tattoos that I found on the internet.

As a part of the covenant God made with the Israelites at Mount Sinai (the Old Covenant) they were forbidden to cut themselves in mourning for the dead or to tattoo themselves. (Leviticus 19:28) These were practices of the heathen nations around them and God forbid the Israelites from doing the same.

Under the New Covenant, there is nothing specifically mentioned in the New Testament of the Bible as to tattooing, but there are biblical principles that can be used in determining whether, or not, we should get a tattoo.

The apostle Paul wrote that although everything is permissible, not everything is beneficial or constructive. (1 Corinthians 10:23-24) Although it might be OK for a Christian to get a tattoo, would it be beneficial and constructive to do so? A Christian must always be aware of who they are (God’s child) and live accordingly (they represent the Lord upon the earth). Many perceive those who pierce themselves, and get tattoos, as being rebellious (at least this is the perception of many of the older generation). Would this be the impression that we would want others to have of us? Would this bring glory to God?

Keep in mind that the Bible teaches a middle-of-the-road policy as to dress and the expression of one's self. There is nothing wrong with being fashionable, as long as it's done with modesty, decency and propriety. (1 Timothy
  • nice words jf....

it all depends on the intentions in the end....

MovedbyLove, please do share your knowledge with us, i'd really really like to know! :D

take care and God Bless
  • The story i was told by my dad about the cross tattoo is.....

The were alot of wars in egypt, and the christian families were worreid the muslims would take their kids and convert them, if they(the parents) were killed somehow by the wars etc....so they can tell wich kids are christian they put tattoos on their arm, and who ever finds them they can take the christian orphaned kids to christian families.

i may have heard of the persicution story too...

Shenouda.
  • Jfranklin: The apostle Paul wrote that although everything is permissible, not everything is beneficial or constructive. (1 Corinthians 10:23-24) Although it might be OK for a Christian to get a tattoo, would it be beneficial and constructive to do so? A Christian must always be aware of who they are (God’s child) and live accordingly (they represent the Lord upon the earth). Many perceive those who pierce themselves, and get tattoos, as being rebellious (at least this is the perception of many of the older generation). Would this be the impression that we would want others to have of us? Would this bring glory to God?

Keep in mind that the Bible teaches a middle-of-the-road policy as to dress and the expression of one's self. There is nothing wrong with being fashionable, as long as it's done with modesty, decency and propriety. (1 Timothy

First of all as Crazy Copt said...Great Words...lets see how they compare to the Coptic Cross we get on our wrists...first of all lol i really dont think its a rebellion issue..i can think of a milllion n one ways to rebel n gettin a tiny cross tattoo on ma wrist isnt one of em...also you're right the Bible does preach the middle of the road policy...but again the size of these crosses is very small...no bigger than 1-2 cm...thats not even an inch..when it comes to it being beneficial or not..well we know the Copts in the olden days were justified in their reasons seeing as it was an action to keep their children on the right path, so they know that they are Christians etc...although it is mainly tradition for us, it also reminds us who our "Parent" is and that we are not of this world, but are the children of God...
    Do you NEED a cross tattoo to remind u of that....lol OF COURSE NOT!!! .....but really, given the intentions etc, n the convenant of Grace, i really dont think its a sin..and personally, compared to other obstacles in my spiritual path, i really dont consider this symbol of my Faith to be one.... ;D
  • The pope's not perfect but he knows way more than we do so...I'll stick listening to the shepherd of the church ::) lol..It's all intentions...nothing in our religion is wrong unless it harms us spiritually. God bless.
  • After the seventh century, we became a minority in our land of Egypt.

We were harassed, persecuted, tortured, humiliated, and killed. This infraction upon our being and existence is still in practice.

Throughout the centuries, different humiliating acts were cast upon us, including: hot-iron branding (no different than western cattle), wearing or not wearing certain clothes or colors, wearing certain headress to identify us, wearing iron crosses around our waste (in excess of 10 lbs.), tattooing (including with crosses), etc. This is cited in the Coptic Encyclopedia (ed. Dr. Aziz S. Atiya), and the History of the Copts (Iris Habib El-Masry).

The tattoo cross has been used in the past for some of the above noted citations in the thread by the different writers. They have been markers for orphans, symbols of faith and reminders of the faith. They have been used with special patterns to identify that someone has carried out a pilgrimage to the Holy Land (and Jerusalem in particular). This use is also carried out in the Armenian Orthodox Church. Those who go on pilgrimage get this tattoo in conjunction with the different Armenian representations in the Holy Land. There are those who get the tattoo as a sign of defiance to the persecution that we are subjected.

In some of the elderly in Egypt you will even see the tattooed mark of the cross on their faces, and specifically over the mouth, as a sign of a guardianship over the things that come forth in annunciation from the mouth. No weapon is sharper and deadlier than the tongue and its pronouncements.

It is also a remembrance of Our Lord and His Cross. Also a reminder of our obligation and duty to that cross. It is a reminder of that most actions are carried out with the right hand in the day. Our ability to think of the "right" thing to do is within the visual reminder of that symbol of the cross tattoo. It is in keeping with our calling to always be mindful. A visual association and dedication no different from the Psalmic verse: "if I forget thee, Jerusalem may I forget my own right arm".

It is no different than St. Constantine (the Great Emperor), who carried forward from the vision to mark all of his soldiers with the cross in battle against the barbarians, and the pagan incursions. It is this victory that is celebrated in the Coptic Orthodox Church Liturgical Calendar.

I would not, nor does the official teaching of the Church, put this particular rendering as anything similar to the tattoos that are carried out in the society we have. It is not the same thing by any means.

My only regret is that I never had the opportunity to have it done when I was younger. Relative to my point in life at this juncture, it would be difficult to have this tattoo carried out. Maybe later in my life.

It is also better than just this physical reminder to carry a brand of the cross on our actions.

I also agree strongly with the loving comment of ServantOfJesus:

The pope's not perfect but he knows way more than we do so...I'll stick listening to the shepherd of the church .

His Holiness is an amazing example. I believe his books to be the purest erudition of Coptic Orthodox Theology. I find his ability to relate the most difficult even to the level of a child. That is a true scholar, and a true representative of the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. His example is certainly one for which we should aspire to attain. The cross that he bears goes beyond the tattoo on his wrist to the minute portions of every minute.

"Shere pi-estavros: fi-etavesh pa-choice erof: sha entefsoti emmon: evol-khen nennovi." (Hail to the Cross that My Lord was crucified upon, from which He saved us from our sins.)--The noted chant from the Feast of the Cross rites as mentioned in the Deacons' Book of Chants and Rites.
  • His Holiness is an amazing example. I believe his books to be the purest erudition of Coptic Orthodox Theology. I find his ability to relate the most difficult even to the level of a child. That is a true scholar, and a true representative of the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. His example is certainly one for which we should aspire to attain. The cross that he bears goes beyond the tattoo on his wrist to the minute portions of every minute.

I totally agree :)
  • i wanted a tattoo of the coptic cross, but my mother refusses to let me have one! and as we know i cannot disobay the wish of my mother...but i dont think its worng, its importat to remember that christ is always with you!, i ware a cross all the time all the time i never take it off, and before i speak i remember that christ is with me , and that i have to repersent him when i speak! i think the cross tattoo does the same thing!

and great responce ilovesaintmark! the pope is awsome!

Maria