To Dipno So To

Comments

• hehe...this is one of the Greek parts that were brought with Ton sina and To litho...etc. Albair from HCOC found the tracks for these hymns that is not famous in the coptic church recorded them after "copticizing" them. I can't post Albairs recording, but here is C Zahet saying it in egypt--it's like Albairs:

BUT, i think there maybe a recording of a cantor from Alex for these greek parts. 
  • Nice! Thank you! If you find more recordings please do share!
  • I just realized I misspelled it...if it makes it easier for further searching, i don't mind if you change the title of the thread to "To Dipno So To"
  • What many people don't realize is that this hymn is probably one of the most popular hymns sung in every Orthodox and Apostolic Church. Its popularity among the other Orthodox churches is incredibly high. There are literally dozens and dozens of musical compositions for it. 

The words of the hymn are incredibly profound expressing the Orthodox concept of mystical communion with God (theosis) and imitation of the thief (repentance) and complete non-communion with the enemies of God (a concept that liberals tell us equates to religious intolerance and racism). 

If people understood the immense value of these ancient hymns, how they are currently used in other Orthodox Churches, and the theological depth in them, we wouldn't be scrambling to use the most protestant, superficial and heretical charismatic songs in Orthodox liturgies and youth meetings.

I just wish the Synod would let us use To dipno so to for every communion, not just once in the year.
  • When is this beautiful hymn chanted? I've never heard it before this.
  • It's supposed to be chanted on Great Thursday, but it almost never is, and thus becomes a "rare" hymn.

The Eastern Orthodox Church chant this hymn every liturgy right before the priest asks the congregation to approach the body and blood of Christ.
  • There is a SoundCloud of this hymn being said in Greek. I'll see if I can find it!
  • Sweet! Thank you!
  • A contemporary composer of orthodox chant named Tikey Zes has a similar version of it. But very modern and baroque-ish
  • A church in the area around me recently gave a lesson on it and posted it online, as well as a recording without teaching.
    Here are the links
    No Teaching: 
    Teaching: 
  • http://mystbasil.org/learn-to-sing-the-liturgy/ Has some beautiful recordings to many of the Greek hymns we use in the church in the original tunes.
    Tou Dipno is extended in that recording in Greek (29) but the English (30) is pretty much what is is in the Greek Parts library. 
    They also have Tou Lithos in Greek (37) and English (38) and En Ti Gennisi at 59 and 60.
  • That’s great thank you