Worldly Success

edited November 2012 in Faith Issues
So I'm in the process of finishing my pre-requisites for pharmacy school, and I want to get in BADLY. I feel like this great desire is starting to become a sin. It's literally always on my mind, and it makes me very anxious/eager at times. I'm burning with motivation.

As you all know, Egyptians have that mindset that their child has to be the best in everything, but I'm starting to think that it's not really the Christian way. I even talked to my priest today, and he said he will not ordain me subdeacon until I get accepted into a pharmacy school (don't think he was joking). Sometimes I feel like he and my parents care way too much about my worldly success, and not enough of about what's most important. Everytime I go to study, I tell myself that I'm doing for God, and to glorify His name, but is that true?

My question is: How do I keep that balance of motivation to succeed, while keeping in mind that we can die any second? In the end, is it truly worth all the stress and anxiety? How do I keep that fire in my heart for God while still succeeding?

Comments

• OMGOSH. this is the dilemma of my life.
    When you realize all the stress, labor, and toil you spend on supposedly meaninglesss things like school and work, it really makes you question why you do these things.
    You hear all the time that you should live everyday as if it were your last. But practically speaking, if today was your last day on earthh, would you be studying your butt off for an exam?
    The amount of emphasis and importance that both society and parents place on schoool is sometimes sickening, and it really is easy to loose focus of thhose things that we've been told matter the most--like God.

I'd love to hear everyone else's responses, as i stuggle with this too..
  • do it for God.
    then if God wants to take it away from you straight after, you will be willing to accept.
    nothing is wasted if it is done for God.
    even if you have a pharmacy degree and God wills for you to work in cleaning, you can put to use the talents of organisation of time, tidiness etc. that u leant while studying.

realise that as saint john the baptist said 'He must increase but i must decrease' (john 3:30)

study the Bible, pray, fast, learn from the lives of the saints and seek humility.
    then you can achieve these things.
  • +
    [quote author=peter_saad link=topic=13857.msg161087#msg161087 date=1352680681]
    My question is: How do I keep that balance of motivation to succeed, while keeping in mind that we can die any second? In the end, is it truly worth all the stress and anxiety? How do I keep that fire in my heart for God while still succeeding?

Consider school/uni/college/work as talents given by God to you. Being faithful in them to the best of our ability is our duty as servants. This way whilst doing them we keep in mind that we must pay an account of our stewardship on the last day. It prepares one for death daily.

So I'm in the process of finishing my pre-requisites for pharmacy school, and I want to get in BADLY. I feel like this great desire is starting to become a sin. It's literally always on my mind, and it makes me very anxious/eager at times. I'm burning with motivation.

As for wanting to get in... do your part and ask God to intervene. Trust He will, because He does.

As you all know, Egyptians have that mindset that their child has to be the best in everything, but I'm starting to think that it's not really the Christian way. I even talked to my priest today, and he said he will not ordain me subdeacon until I get accepted into a pharmacy school (don't think he was joking). Sometimes I feel like he and my parents care way too much about my worldly success, and not enough of about what's most important. Everytime I go to study, I tell myself that I'm doing for God, and to glorify His name, but is that true?

I think our culture caring too much about these things can be excused by the verse "you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things." - Matt. 25:23
  • My verry beloved brother and good friend Peter_Saad!!
    I have missed you soo much over the past monthes.

Anyways, if no one was ambitious about their studies, they would never succeed. You need to put all of your ability into your studies. This is not kindergarten!!

Second of all you should not seek the rank of subdeacon. This is a responsibility in itself.

God bless you habibi
  • [quote author=guy link=topic=13857.msg161410#msg161410 date=1353738038]
    My verry beloved brother and good friend Peter_Saad!!
    I have missed you soo much over the past monthes.

Anyways, if no one was ambitious about their studies, they would never succeed. You need to put all of your ability into your studies. This is not kindergarten!!

Second of all you should not seek the rank of subdeacon. This is a responsibility in itself.

God bless you habibi
    thank you. You're right it's important to be ambitious, but how far is too far?
    I am in no way seeking the rank of subdeacon.
  • Actually Habibi, I just talked to my foc about this question.He told me that this is a sin, and you should drop out and become a monk, and you might loose your eternal life. (Fr. John Fahmy)
  • In regards to how far is too far, I would think as long as it doesn't negatively impact your relation with God- or others for that matter- then being ambitious isn't wrong. Just recognize when you become successful it is through Gods love and grace

EDIT: also the concept of "worldly success" was mentioned to me by two people, HG bishop mina and my FOC. Anba mina replied to a similar question I had by giving me the example of Joseph. "God was with Joseph and he was a successful man." I'm sure that Joseph was clearly successful in a worldly sense, since he was the governor of Egypt and organized food storage for the citizens. Also, my FOC constantly tells me "gods children are always successful." So main point, worldly success should come with spiritual success. And wanting to be successful isn't a bad thing, just keep close to God.