Post your icons here !!!! ;D

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
hello all,
i wanted to start a chat where ppl could post icons because i love icons nd im sure alot of you also enjoy them so if you guys want ill put some to start also any photos if you guys wana post photos of saints

Aghape,
Chris

Comments

• I am simply amazed at the beauty of these icons! Are these Coptic style icons or Byzantine{greek orthodox}?
    Not that it really matters but I am curious.I've noticed there is a difference in artistic style but both are extremely beautiful.
  • Thats most likely a Coptic icon because the names next to Adam and Eve are written in coptic... :-\

GOD BLESS ALL! :-*
  • :)

Thanks,Magnoona4lyf.
  • yes, this is a Coptic Icon, you can usually tell, by the big eyes... also not body features(muscles, abs, etc...)
  • No problem! ;)

• but, thats a pic... not an ICON....
  • :-[ I know sorry guys, but i really love the icon in the picture... :-\

• lol... but that is a picture also... an Icon has to follow rule, and has its own way to be written... just like the three children (the icon on this site)... that is an Icon,
  • thats ok its a cool pic neway lets keep thsi chat alive keep the icons coming there really cool heres one of one of my favorite saints st.bishoy.
  • ??? ??? I'm thinking icons as in pictures of saints that are anoited by mayroon....lolx...but u guys kno i'm slow lyk that...its ok, u'll get used 2 me, lolx...sorry :-\

• lol... you are not slow, Icons are anointed by the mayroon, but some church don’t use the proper form of art... sorry I am an artist so I study these things... so I am always anal about it. But that is why you are confused… like you see the picture of st. mark, and the Icon of saint Bishoy… the its quite different, it is different because the Icon has it own features…
    and by the way Amazing Icon of Saint Bishoy, my favorite Saint…
  • :o Soo kewll, thank u muchly, lolx...i didnt know that...kewl :D

• yes, this is a Coptic Icon, you can usually tell, by the big eyes... also not body features(muscles, abs, etc...)

Thanks for the info. socoolbishoy! :D It's good that you're an artist,you can answer all my art questions...lol ;D

but u guys kno i'm slow lyk that

You're not slow! I dont know why several of you coptic girls always say that.Everyone knows egyptian females are soooo smart and intelligent...lol ;) ;D
  • Hi all

Sorry, could you explain to me again what is the difference between the icon and the picture. what I beleive is the icon is a picture inointed with the Holy oil (Mayroon), is that right?

Again, because we have experts here. can anybody give us (or me) an introductory level explanition about the christin paintings and what is the main differences between the different countries (ex: Egypt, Greece ...etc) in the drawing. Are there any special requirments for the christian painting to be an icon in our coptic church?

thanks for help in advance

Peace and love
  • [quote author=Shamas link=board=1;threadid=883;start=0#msg15659 date=1103197186]
    arequirments for the christian painting to be an icon in our coptic church?

OK well imi not an expert im sure many of you are more knowledgable then me but heres what i do knwo about icons
    1) Coptic icons use brigher colos
    2)Icons are not painted they are written so its like reading a story every little speck in the icon means something
    3)Icons the saints are always facing forward or he ppl in th icon that are good as my crucifix icon will illustrate
    4) In the below icon youll notice that jesus is inproportionately big that is to show he is the most important size si huge in coptic icons

i know more but i gotta go

aghape,
    Chris
  • i remember we just got a very interesting sunday school lesson about icons a couple of weeks ago; their origin, "rulez" and many more things. As soon as i receive it over mail i will try to translate the most important stuff and post it here (it's in dutch lol)
  • Here are pictures of saint Bishoy…
  • Here is an Icon of saint Bishoy…
  • as you can see there is a huge difference, in the Icon saint Bishoy and Christ, both have big eyes. Look at the hands they are not detailed, like you would for a regular picture. Also as was mentioned, Icons are not painted, or drawn, it is written, because the Icon tells stories, and has lots, and lots of meaning. You can write a book about saint Bishoy, or write an Icon of saint Bishoy, which explains his life…. Back in the days, they couldn’t read, so they made icons and put it all around the church, so people without reading they would know the stories. Also Icons are windows to heaven that is why in the background of every Icon, its gold, and it has no end, because heaven is eternal. Christ in a n Icon always wears red, and white. White is for divinity, and red for humanity. And the only one who has a cross in his hallow is Christ. The light source of an Icon is the main saint of the Icon, or if Christ is present then it is Christ. In the end people might think that icons are just simple art… maybe it is, but it has lots of meaning. Oh and another thin, when writing the icon, the colors go on from dark to light, that is because God took us from the darkness, to the light, which is him. The iconographer must be fasting, and has to pray, that God would lead him, or her to give the right message.

hope that helped...
  • Vey cool iocns ;D keep em comin guys they are very nice especially st.bishoy hes a great st.
    neway keep em comin keep dis chat alive

Aghape,
    chris
  • WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS DISCUSSION KEEP THOSE ICONS COMING GUYS
    aghape ,
    chris
  • anyone have any icons of St. Marina the Monk? i love her story and i'd like to know if anyone could post an icon of hers, i dont see very many...

thanks in advance

take care and God bless
  • For some reason I can't attch any pictures, does anyone have the same problem?

Mike
  • yeah me too i cant upload! MAged & administrators ,ppl help
    ahhh this sux im workin on a photoalbum online for icons
    on my website its not finished yet but heres a cool link of an icon i have uploaded of st.marinahttp://www.freewebtown.com/cysj/Church/church%20pics/icons/Martyrs/St.%20Marina.gif i dont know if its the one your talking about

aghape,
    chris
  • i have another pic of st marina the monk too but i cant upload anything......i dont know why....
  • Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you have seen an icon for St. Joseph the interpreter of dreams. If not I have it, I just do not know how to upload it. By the way, I have a huge icon collection if anyone would like to see them please let me know.

God Bless
    Avvaantoni
  • Just a couple more interesting little facts on Coptic Icons since there's a lot of symbolism in them behind the picture:

a) In Coptic Icons the heads are usually around 1/5 the size of the body which is bigger than usual which represents that the Mind is more important than the body/the physical aspect of life.

b) The heads are circular and not accurate to what heads look like, or different shapes of peoples heads n that represents that the mind (representing soul and spirit as in the mind we battle between right n wrong) is what is everlasting n those choices are what matter.

c) The shoulders of the characters in the icons tend to droop representing that the body will whither away, emphasizing the temporal nature of the body.

d) There is also representation value behind the large eyes but unfortunately i cant remember :-\!!! sorry...i think its something about the eye being the lamp of the body...7aga keda ;D

Well, thats all i can recall for now...interesting thread and I just think that it's REALLY COOOL that by even just talking about these things we are fulfilling a Commandment, as it is written:

[center]"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Phillipians 4:8[/center]

I hope our contemplations on the beauty of the lives of the saints, and the art that represents God's grace as He came to this earth to save us and all His saints are acceptable sacrifices before God n remember, lets just take this as a general thing to apply to our life, that we make a conscious effort to think on all things that are GOOD. lol ameeeen.
  • thanks Chris!
    that's definately the st. Marina i'm looking for.
    it's quite interesting, i've never seen an icon of hers before, just paintings and drawings.

anyone else would like to post somthing of st. Marina the monk, id love to see it!!

take care and God bless!
  • Dear Copt4life,

The eye in an icon has a symbolism, which makes you right. The eye in a coptic icon is usually large and wide. This symbolizes the spiritual eye which looks beyond the material world and looks toward the heavenly kingdom which awaits them.

Agape
    Avvaantoni