Only asking for some feedback

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I have recently been browsing YouTube when i came across this video:

I dont know how to respond to it, any orthodox feedback?

Comments

• [quote author=coptic link=topic=13024.msg153024#msg153024 date=1331689704]
    I have recently been browsing YouTube when i came across this video:

I dont know how to respond to it, any orthodox feedback?

Firstly, the overdramatisation is not conducive to a proper consideration of these matters.
    Secondly, (although I only watched the first minute) we are not required to give all our possessions to the poor, unless we become monks.  HOwever, God must be our number 1 priority above these possessions, otherwise we are better off if we give them away.
  • There is lots of truth in it.
  • [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=13024.msg153028#msg153028 date=1331692519]
    There is lots of truth in it.

I think we should be very careful about Youtube clips. Like that one that said I love Jesus but hate religion.  Bishop Youssef disagreed with that one.
  • [quote author=qawe link=topic=13024.msg153029#msg153029 date=1331692880]
    [quote author=George_Mina_Awad link=topic=13024.msg153028#msg153028 date=1331692519]
    There is lots of truth in it.

I think we should be very careful about Youtube clips. Like that one that said I love Jesus but hate religion.  Bishop Youssef disagreed with that one.

That one was blatantly blasphemous and contradictory to the Scriptures. But this one contains some truth. For instance, there really are thousands of dying children out there, whom we are commanded to feed, and there really is no urgency to do anything about it.
  • Protestants tend to take advantage of people's emotions and exaggerate things for the sake of fame
    So many of their messages have lies in them with some truth twisted and they have no remorse

I am still going to see my priest so do not judge me
    See how you try and make posts to disturb people
    You make us look like we don't care about people's problems if we ignore your posts

Perhaps some of them are wolf in Sheeps clothing and few of them could be ministers of Satan in the form of ministers of righteousness

Essentially you want to see righteous people not succeed

If everyone gave their tithe there would be no poverty

Whoever gives more will be blessed if it is done out of love for it is written I will bless those who bless you and give and it will be given to you and God will support you on your sick bed

However God does not want to destroy you but He just wants us to give from the heart

I think the blame is on those who can give out of their abundance a tithe
    and on all who do not give their tithe and those who choose not to work at all or want to do very very little work
  • [quote author=user157 link=topic=13024.msg153032#msg153032 date=1331697574]
    Protestants tend to take advantage of people's emotions and exaggerate things for the sake of fame
    So many of their messages have lies in them with some truth twisted and they have no remorse

I am still going to see my priest so do not judge me
    See how you try and make posts to disturb people
    You make us look like we don't care about people's problems if we ignore your posts

Perhaps some of them are wolf in Sheeps clothing and few of them could be ministers of Satan in the form of ministers of righteousness

Essentially you want to see righteous people not succeed

If everyone gave their tithe there would be no poverty

Whoever gives more will be blessed if it is done out of love for it is written I will bless those who bless you and give and it will be given to you and God will support you on your sick bed

However God does not want to destroy you but He just wants us to give from the heart

I think the blame is on those who can give out of their abundance a tithe
    and on all who do not give their tithe and those who choose not to work at all or want to do very very little work

THe fact that you are disturbed by the post does not mean that you need to reply.
    There are so many others qualified to reply.
    Ignoring a post should not make anyone feel bad.
  • For instance, there really are thousands of dying children out there, whom we are commanded to feed

The good deeds we do are to help ourselves. I don't know why people have the mentality that if we don't feed the poor, they're all going to starve and die. God can take care and provide for His beloved creation without us. The reason we help each other is learn humility, perfect love, and righteousness to obtain the Kingdom of Heaven. We do it for our own benefit, and if we're doing it correctly, the benefit of others as well.

People make God smaller and smaller, and our role in life bigger and bigger. Reality check: our food and clothing doesn't really separate us from the children in Africa, because all of mankind is in need of one thing--God's mercy.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=13024.msg153052#msg153052 date=1331738748]

For instance, there really are thousands of dying children out there, whom we are commanded to feed

The good deeds we do are to help ourselves. I don't know why people have the mentality that if we don't feed the poor, they're all going to starve and die. God can take care and provide for His beloved creation without us. The reason we help each other is learn humility, perfect love, and righteousness to obtain the Kingdom of Heaven. We do it for our own benefit, and if we're doing it correctly, the benefit of others as well.

People make God smaller and smaller, and our role in life bigger and bigger. Reality check: our food and clothing doesn't really separate us from the children in Africa, because all of mankind is in need of one thing--God's mercy.

Because we are not feeding them, and they are starving and dying. That's why. Everything you said is good, but there is still that harsh reality that our own actions, as well as our own negligence, can have dire effects on others.
  • You missed the whole point of my post.
  • What I'm saying is, God will provide for them if we do nothing. We help because we love, not because the poor need us.

Watch this:
  • 16:25-17:25 is the point I've been trying to make.

Man, I love him.
  • It seems to me that most problems are not ones that are caused by people not caring enough, especially since vast sums of money are sent as aid from the West to the developing world. The UK Government is increasing the amount of aid even while cutting domestic services.

The problem is almost always that most places where there are problems such as have been described have completely corrupt Governments. It seems to me that just sending more money is not the answer, and has never been the answer. The question should be how good Government, the rule of law and the security of private property, can be established in these places. Many of them have great natural riches, but this wealth is not being used in the service of the people.

When aid is sent, especially unconditionally, then it means that these corrupt Governments can steal even more. It would be better if aid were always tied strictly to regime reform.

There are reports produced by African thinkers and activists which consider that Western aid is part of the problem and not part of the solution. Certainly when I was in Senegal I saw the whole landscape littered with the remains of aid projects, and a population which was becoming, or had even become, dependent on external aid, and expecting to receive aid as a matter of course. This is not a healthy situation, and prevents a society dealing with its problems.

It has been reported that the war in Ethiopia was perpetuated for several years because of Live Aid sending funds which were co-opted by the evil Mengistu regime. Likewise, should the regime of Mugabe be supported by aid, which he insists is distributed by his own agents?

I don't think it is a simple matter of saying that there are those who are hungry, and it is our fault. In fact the US spends about $25 billion in state aid, and $240 billion in charitable aid. These are remarkable figures, and indicate that the world's problems are not because Americans and others do not care and do not give, but because most African nations are run by corrupt regimes who do not care that their people are hungry.

380 million people in Sub-Saharan Africa are living in poverty (however that might be defined). If the US aid were shared out among these people it would equate to $700 per person. This seems to me to show that the US and others are making very significant contributions and that the problem lies elsewhere.
  • Father,

It is good to hear from you. I hope your circumstances have resolved.

Speaking of corrupt governments, I want to encourage everyone to take a few minutes from their day to watch this:
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=13024.msg153066#msg153066 date=1331750134]
    Father,

It is good to hear from you. I hope your circumstances have resolved.

Speaking of corrupt governments, I want to encourage everyone to take a few minutes from their day to watch this:

Kony 2012, again? I would be careful about that video. It seems that there is a lot of mystery behind this video. I heard there is some form of propaganda behind it. It is good that we sympathize and learn about the hardships in the world, but we should watch out from those type of stuff.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=13024.msg153065#msg153065 date=1331749323]
    It seems to me that most problems are not ones that are caused by people not caring enough, especially since vast sums of money are sent as aid from the West to the developing world. The UK Government is increasing the amount of aid even while cutting domestic services.

The problem is almost always that most places where there are problems such as have been described have completely corrupt Governments. It seems to me that just sending more money is not the answer, and has never been the answer. The question should be how good Government, the rule of law and the security of private property, can be established in these places. Many of them have great natural riches, but this wealth is not being used in the service of the people.

When aid is sent, especially unconditionally, then it means that these corrupt Governments can steal even more. It would be better if aid were always tied strictly to regime reform.

There are reports produced by African thinkers and activists which consider that Western aid is part of the problem and not part of the solution. Certainly when I was in Senegal I saw the whole landscape littered with the remains of aid projects, and a population which was becoming, or had even become, dependent on external aid, and expecting to receive aid as a matter of course. This is not a healthy situation, and prevents a society dealing with its problems.

It has been reported that the war in Ethiopia was perpetuated for several years because of Live Aid sending funds which were co-opted by the evil Mengistu regime. Likewise, should the regime of Mugabe be supported by aid, which he insists is distributed by his own agents?

I don't think it is a simple matter of saying that there are those who are hungry, and it is our fault. In fact the US spends about $25 billion in state aid, and $240 billion in charitable aid. These are remarkable figures, and indicate that the world's problems are not because Americans and others do not care and do not give, but because most African nations are run by corrupt regimes who do not care that their people are hungry.

380 million people in Sub-Saharan Africa are living in poverty (however that might be defined). If the US aid were shared out among these people it would equate to $700 per person. This seems to me to show that the US and others are making very significant contributions and that the problem lies elsewhere.

One could argue that the west is sending "aid" which is really meant to curry favour with these regimes, for UN votes and the like.
  • That is certainly true of Governmental Aid, and people in the UK are increasingly opposed to such aid. We have been sending aid to Pakistan, for instance, while it has found the funds to build a nuclear deterrent. We have been sending aid to India, while it has found the funds to build a space industry.

But most US aid is charitable donations from ordinary people and businesses and is channelled thorugh charities and agencies. That seems to me to be entirely commendable. The US often does not get credit for being so generous at a personal level.

A few years ago I walked 100km with a friend and raised a few thousand pounds to build a school in Kenya. That was commendable I think. And the charity working in Kenya was also serious and well organised. But there is a big question in my mind about why Kenya is not providing schools for its own people?

The recent political violence in Kenya led to many deaths, but also the institution of a power sharing Government in which there are now two ministers for each ministry who are competing for influence and for access to the budget allocated for each ministry. This will create even greater mismanagement of the economy, resulting in an even greater dependence on aid to keep the country going.

It is these sort of political problems, and tribal and cultural ones, which have in most cases caused sub-Saharan countries to fail to achieve the potential that their natural resources would support. Nigeria is a massively wealthy nation, but most ordinary people see little of the wealth, and the country is often on the edge of civil violence. Is this a failure of Western donors? Or is it a local political and social problem? Would more money being sent to Kenya solve their problems? Or do the politicians of Kenya need to take more responsibility for their people's welfare?

I think that the $260 billion in aid which the US already gives is a very significant amount and that Americans should not feel that they don't do much to help people around the world. Over the past four decades aid to Africa has quadrupled.

Here is a piece about an $800 billion secret diamond mine that Mugabe is running with the Chinese military ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1313123/Robert-Mugabes-darkest-secret-An-800bn-blood-diamond-run-Chinas-Red-Army.html

Are the vast sums of money beging generated by this mine going to help the Zimbabwean people? I don't think so. It is this sort of corruption which is impoverishing the people of Africa, not a lack of donor aid.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=13024.msg153066#msg153066 date=1331750134]

• Do Copts only pay attention to youtube videos of miracles and annoying protestants?
  • Good point Ioannes,

I personally find more important things on YouTube, like this completely Coptic Liturgy of St Gregory. So beautiful and so Coptic. Yeah. :D
  • [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13024.msg153106#msg153106 date=1331805473]
    Do Copts only pay attention to youtube videos of miracles and annoying protestants?

People in egypt, more specifically youth, are bored....they have nothing to do. no jobs and nothing to do other than sitting on a computer with internet all day long. now think about what they can do all the time. 
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=13024.msg153116#msg153116 date=1331839493]
    [quote author=Ioannes link=topic=13024.msg153106#msg153106 date=1331805473]
    Do Copts only pay attention to youtube videos of miracles and annoying protestants?

People in egypt, more specifically youth, are bored....they have nothing to do. no jobs and nothing to do other than sitting on a computer with internet all day long. now think about what they can do all the time.

Lookin up saint miracles is better than other things they can be doing online.  ::)
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=13024.msg153104#msg153104 date=1331799553]
    That is certainly true of Governmental Aid, and people in the UK are increasingly opposed to such aid. We have been sending aid to Pakistan, for instance, while it has found the funds to build a nuclear deterrent. We have been sending aid to India, while it has found the funds to build a space industry.

But most US aid is charitable donations from ordinary people and businesses and is channelled thorugh charities and agencies. That seems to me to be entirely commendable. The US often does not get credit for being so generous at a personal level.

A few years ago I walked 100km with a friend and raised a few thousand pounds to build a school in Kenya. That was commendable I think. And the charity working in Kenya was also serious and well organised. But there is a big question in my mind about why Kenya is not providing schools for its own people?

The recent political violence in Kenya led to many deaths, but also the institution of a power sharing Government in which there are now two ministers for each ministry who are competing for influence and for access to the budget allocated for each ministry. This will create even greater mismanagement of the economy, resulting in an even greater dependence on aid to keep the country going.

It is these sort of political problems, and tribal and cultural ones, which have in most cases caused sub-Saharan countries to fail to achieve the potential that their natural resources would support. Nigeria is a massively wealthy nation, but most ordinary people see little of the wealth, and the country is often on the edge of civil violence. Is this a failure of Western donors? Or is it a local political and social problem? Would more money being sent to Kenya solve their problems? Or do the politicians of Kenya need to take more responsibility for their people's welfare?

I think that the $260 billion in aid which the US already gives is a very significant amount and that Americans should not feel that they don't do much to help people around the world. Over the past four decades aid to Africa has quadrupled.

Here is a piece about an $800 billion secret diamond mine that Mugabe is running with the Chinese military ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1313123/Robert-Mugabes-darkest-secret-An-800bn-blood-diamond-run-Chinas-Red-Army.html

Are the vast sums of money beging generated by this mine going to help the Zimbabwean people? I don't think so. It is this sort of corruption which is impoverishing the people of Africa, not a lack of donor aid.

Oh, this is so true Father Peter!!!

Living in Ethiopia showed me how evil and corrupt the world is.  Ethiopia has too many resources to count; yet people die of starvation there!!?? I do realize some people bring things on themselves, but I know the majority of people who find themselves in poverty are innocent.
      I even heard a man say on the Ethiopian radio: "Of course we have enough, but what do you want us to do give it away". I was like well yeh! I could hardly believe he had the nerve to make that statement!
    The Devil is a Liar and Deceiver and has decieved the whole world