disillusioned

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
I am disillusioned. I really have gotten to the point where I just want to give up. I cannot stand the fact that I fought so hard to get to "the truth" and it is rapidly becoming untruth. Now I am questioning everything and to be frank, I am tired. I am tired of speaking and not being heard. Have your church in whatever way you guys want it. You want protestantism? Go ahead I don't really care anymore, I am tired of fighting hard headed irrational fools.

Comments

• Maybe it's time to stop and worry about your own salvation....I am not saying that what you are doing is wrong or worthless.....it's just not accepted as much. If service of any kind is not beneficial to the person than it needs to be stopped despite what good comes out of it.
  • Don't stop. Just know that I would not preach the gospel if it is how you want it
    Protestantism changed orthodoxy by condemning the wrong people
    I don't want to be someone who brings grief rather than joy to people
  • I forgot I said I would not make any posts until I see my FOC

•   Hi Ioannes,
                      I wonder if you have ever spoken to your Bishop? I don't think you should worry too much about protestants at all. Try to stop worrying about what others are doing, otherwise you will lose focas on your own contemplations.

I pray for your peace of mind.     

• [quote author=Joshuaa link=topic=13012.msg152943#msg152943 date=1331538492]

Hi Ioannes,
                      I wonder if you have ever spoken to your Bishop? I don't think you should worry too much about protestants at all. Try to stop worrying about what others are doing, otherwise you will lose focas on your own contemplations.

I pray for your peace of mind.     

Yes, all I care about is what other people are doing. Wrong. I care that well meaning but uninformed people are bringing a godless rebellion into my beloved Church that I worked so hard to find. I have asked to speak to a bishop, but was denied. This is one thing that really upsets me, I am not trying to tell anyone how to do their job, I have concerns and wish them to be addressed. However the Church is not a democracy, I have no voice. If these bishops validate a rebellion as being 'christian' then I am out. If you guys want to destroy the church then that is on you.

Everytime I speak of this, I am labeled as zealous or backwards. Many do not even take the time to listen to my concerns and my very solid evidence for my concerns. I am written off as a nut, which is fine I guess, but at least look at what I am saying before making a decision. I mean I like to think I know a little bit about protestantism from many years of first hand experience and many years of study, but what do I know, I am not a bishop.

• Maybe you're not approaching your concerns about what they're doing in a way that give them respect and that is why they are defensive. People get defensive when others try to prove something against them. They feel judged. You can only try to persaude by conscience as the truth of this is yes means yes and no means no.

I'm not sure what protestantism is in your church but we follow the liturgy and that's set in concrete. So what changes do you see? 
  • [quote author=Joshuaa link=topic=13012.msg152947#msg152947 date=1331543684]

Maybe you're not approaching your concerns about what they're doing in a way that give them respect and that is why they are defensive. People get defensive when others try to prove something against them. They feel judged. You can only try to persaude by conscience as the truth of this is yes means yes and no means no.

I'm not sure what protestantism is in your church but we follow the liturgy and that's set in concrete. So what changes do you see?

Well, I have went out of my way to give more than enough respect. I have made it clear that I advocate no rebellion or animosity towards anyone, especially bishops.

What I see is not "change" in the liturgy. I see protestantism being validated by being let in the back door through youth meetings and what not. This is where protestant songs are sang and even some of the teachings are very protestant. I have heard one such sermon at one of these meetings in which Orthodoxy was referred to as a cult.

I have clearly demonstrated the link between satan and his rebellion and all those he led into rebellion (adam and eve, Korah, Marcion, etc.) and Luther. And why allowing this to be done in youth meetings or sunday school teachings is validating them as being Christian. Which will eventually lead many from the faith. Logically if protestantism IS Christian, then we should all stop what we are doing and do it the easy way, right?

So, since I have been going out of my way to be extra cautious in my tone and what I say and that has gotten nowhere, I am done pulling punches. I am going to say the truth, I am going to say it loud enough until someone decides to listen. I do not go out of my way to offend anyone, and quite frankly if you are offended by what I say, go cry to your mother.
  • Ioa,

It's not that hard to get in touch with a Bishop. I can even do that for you, and I'm only a kid.
    But how come you've never went to see the Pope (he visits your state multiple times a year)?

Btw, you are like St. Athanasius; he was ridiculed for keeping and fighting for our faith, and look where that got him now. If you give up, you'll be like the rest of the world who didn't care for the arguments between St. Athanasius and Arius (we don't even know these peoples' names because of how unimportant they are).

Btw-w, you said you were going to give up almost 2712680 times before, but you're still doing what you're doing. Like Jeremiah :)
    Plus, I think it's a sin to give up.

• Hi Ioannes,

I think you might have taken what someone said out of context when they said Othodoxy was referred to as a cult. They may of being speaking in defence of the church.

• TITL,
            I have no idea why but whenever you talk to me I feel compelled to listen, and I feel motivated to continue. How can someone like me approach the pope? And how does one get into contact with a bishop, you have to remember I am still only 4 years old in the faith, I am a child essentially. If you could help me in that respect, I would appreciate it greatly.

Joshuaa, I do not think I misunderstood. I am not fond of a lot of things that take place in our churches in the hell hole that is California, and that is where this particular "sermon" took place. It was quasi protestant, like Fr. Anthony Messeh, half mocking Orthodoxy while validating protestantism. 100% unacceptable.
  • I will help you.

Just don't give up.
  • Ioa,

You helped restore my faith in God. Don't take that blessing away from people!

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • I do not post often, however i do frequent the site alot and the forum. One thing i have always been taken aback and quite impressed by is your (Ioannes) zeal and fervour for the faith of the Christ. You, are truly a light unto the world Ioannes, never forget Christ's saying in that regard. Although we do not see it, God rewards us for our strife. Even the great St. Antony felt broken, and perhaps if it would be safe to be so bold as to say, he felt deserted, at the hands of demons (in this case demons of indifference and ignorance for your situation) and Christ simply replied that He was watching St. Antony attain crowns. You, Ioannes, dont see the benefit of your strife, but you are an individual that can change lives, that can set people aflame. St. Seraphim of Sarov describes us as flames and that some are withering and some are alight with divine zeal. You are a flame, alight so strong that you may not be well received, but you are a strong light that can pass your flame onto others and ignite in them a divine zeal and fervour. Service, is always hard, it is through these flames that we get molded.

You, Ioannes, are a needed individual in the Coptic Orthodox Church, as of course all are, but you of a particular calling and particular service to reinvigorate our people with the faith of the fathers. I too find myself not always well received when attempting to do so (this being as an Egyptian person). Christ said that to whom much is given, much will be required. With a heritage as rich as our church has, we should all be giving a fortune. But Christ never said this would be easy, in fact, a great service hardly ever is enjoyable or follows a smooth path. The defeat of demons in the battle is inevitable in Christ, but we will have our scars to show from it.

Never lose hope or sight of the mission you have at hand. The Alexandrian Orthodox church has an especial heritage of sticking to its fathers even in the face of EXTREME imperial adversity (hearken back to the council of chalcedon and its aftermath).

Do not lose hope yourself, and never lose sight of those invisible crowns which your toil has so deservedly won you.

Pray for me, a sinner
  • Thanks all, you all know, especially TITL, that I will never give up. What else is there. I am not a strong person with moments of weakness, I am a  weak person with moments of strength. I got a bit frustrated with some very trivial things. In reality I am the problem. I am not doing what I know I am supposed to be doing.

Thanks all for your kind words.