Isaiah 19??

Did the prophecy in Isaiah 19 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=isaiah%2019&version=NKJV) about Egypt be fulfilled already or is this the future (possibly near future)?

Comments

• And is this Abouna Fanous in the monastery story about Saint Mary true?
  • i would like to know too.. prophesies are cooooooool  ;D lol
  • This prophecy is directly of Christ.
  • the prophecy was fulfilled......the Altar in the Muaharraq monastery proves that. i can understand that we should remember the ch at these hard times and to consdier the great blessing given in it.....but not to think it's a prophecy that is happening. Christ has already come. the next time He comes it will be the end of the world; which i believe is still far away.

we, as Egyptians, shouldn't be so obnoxious to centralize the whole world around us keda. 
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10599.msg129182#msg129182 date=1296533328]
    the prophecy was fulfilled......the Altar in the Muaharraq monastery proves that. i can understand that we should remember the ch at these hard times and to consdier the great blessing given in it.....but not to think it's a prophecy that is happening. Christ has already come. the next time He comes it will be the end of the world; which i believe is still far away.

we, as Egyptians, shouldn't be so obnoxious to centralize the whole world around us keda. 

Dear Mina,
    How does the Altar prove this?
    How come prophecies cannot repeat itself? The Bible is a Living Word...
    The end of the world can come at any time, no one knows God's timing. For all we know, it could be within the next 10 years (I'm not predicting this but I'm saying there's a possibility that Christ will come at ANY time).
  • True...He can come tonight...
  • [quote author=GODlovesme link=topic=10599.msg129186#msg129186 date=1296535191]
    True...He can come tonight...

I wished this was like Facebook where I could like your comment  :P
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=10599.msg129185#msg129185 date=1296535121]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10599.msg129182#msg129182 date=1296533328]
    the prophecy was fulfilled......the Altar in the Muaharraq monastery proves that. i can understand that we should remember the ch at these hard times and to consdier the great blessing given in it.....but not to think it's a prophecy that is happening. Christ has already come. the next time He comes it will be the end of the world; which i believe is still far away.

Dear Mina,
    How does the Altar prove this?
    How come prophecies cannot repeat itself? The Bible is a Living Word...
    The end of the world can come at any time, no one knows God's timing. For all we know, it could be within the next 10 years (I'm not predicting this but I'm saying there's a possibility that Christ will come at ANY time).

i am with you on not knowing God's timing but what do you mean "prophecies can repeat themselves"?
    a prophecy is a prophecy; an event that a "prophet" learns about before it happens and we know it happened (of happening) when IT dOES.....it's that simple.

There prophecies about the full Economy of Salvation that includes everything that happen to our Lord Jesus and what He did on earth. how can those prophecies "repeat"??

the prophecy clearly speaks about Christ coming to Egypt....in the flesh. It was fulfilled when He was a child with the holy family. Where is Christ now? in heaven....not on earth in the flesh, but in heaven in the flesh. the next time He comes to Egypt, that is to EARTH, is at the end of the world, IN THE FLESH. that would be the Second Coming. He can come to people in revelations but never in the flesh....which is just not what the prophecy says.
  • Not saying all prophecies repeat, but I am sure some do...not every prophecy is a one-time deal.
    How can you justify that it was specifically about Him in flesh?
    Most of this chapter speaks about Egypt being in turmoil and is very applicable to the status quo.
  • [quote author=aem581 link=topic=10599.msg129190#msg129190 date=1296538048]
    Not saying all prophecies repeat, but I am sure some do...not every prophecy is a one-time deal.
    How can you justify that it was specifically about Him in flesh?

We were always taught that there are 2 comings of the Lord...in the flesh: the First Coming is the Incarnation of Saint Mary. The Second Coming is in the end of the world when He comes back to take us unto Himself. sorry, but it's really hard to search for the specific words of Christ that says so. but you should do.
    there is no other comings....in the flesh. the first is fulfilled, the second is waited for.

about the prophecy itself, through the whole OT it is clear that when a prophecy speaks about a "coming" it speaks about a physical thing coming into being....or simply coming as moving from place to place.

if you don't trust me, there are many many books about the Lord's coming into Egypt when He was a child FULFILLING this specific prophecy. pm Fr. Peter, he can lead you to some sources and verify what i have said. 

Most of this chapter speaks about Egypt being in turmoil and is very applicable to the status quo.

Egypt WAS in turmoil and idolatry before the time of the prophecy. like i said before, remember the blessing rather than the direct prophecy to Christ. 
  • but can anyone confirm the vision from Abouna Fanous? I heard about it in a forward
  • yea christ already can

and if this is a subversion then im excited to see who god sends ;D
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=10599.msg129171#msg129171 date=1296530453]
    And is this Abouna Fanous in the monastery story about Saint Mary true?

I missed this story. Can you repeat it please?
  • Ok i don't remember details but this Abouna (Abouna Fanous) in a monastery (i forgot which) received a vision from Saint Mary saying tell everyone to read Isaiah 19 because it is happening/will happen soon. I am not sure how valid it is because I only did receive it in a text.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • And the hierarchy of the Church has authorised this in what way?
  • [quote author=DimyanCoptic link=topic=10599.msg129301#msg129301 date=1296603701]
    [quote author=TITL link=topic=10599.msg129296#msg129296 date=1296603444]
    [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=10599.msg129171#msg129171 date=1296530453]
    And is this Abouna Fanous in the monastery story about Saint Mary true?

I missed this story. Can you repeat it please?

St Maary appreared to him in a vision and told him to tell the coptic community to read Isaiah ch 19.

and.....either it was true or wrong, i don't think it's a big deal. it's reading a chapter in the Bible.

[quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10599.msg129304#msg129304 date=1296603800]
    And the hierarchy of the Church has authorised this in what way?

i really doubt that abouna.
  • [quote author=Father Peter link=topic=10599.msg129304#msg129304 date=1296603800]
    And the hierarchy of the Church has authorised this in what way?

They haven't, rumors tend to spread about things like this like a wildfire.
  • Well, If you go to Egypt, and you talk to priests and monks, they all seem to be waiting for something to happen. And come on, when did this happen?

And the LORD will strike Egypt, He will strike and heal it; they will return to the LORD, and He will be entreated by them and heal them.
    23 In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian will come into Egypt and the Egyptian into Assyria, and the Egyptians will serve with the Assyrians.
    24 In that day Israel will be one of three with Egypt and Assyria—a blessing in the midst of the land, 25 whom the LORD of hosts shall bless, saying, “Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance.”

have a little hope guys! Egypt is Christ's! don't we sing that all the time???
  • We've already discussed this. The prophecy relates to Christs fleeing to Egypt. Not its state right now.
  • what does assyria have to do with christ fleeing to Egypt?? I'm sorry. but I think the first part of chp. 19 is about that. but this part is not
  • Assyria no longer exists...so what is your point?
  • Epiphania the first half of that chapter is referring to Christs flight to Egypt. "Behold, the Lord sits on a swift cloud and shall come to Egypt..." I am quite surprised that not more of you have heard the proper interpretation of this verse/chapter. The rest of the chapter refers to the Church which is now and already established in Egypt. The whole prophecy has been fulfilled so there really isn't ground for these assumptions.

GODlovesme, sorry who are you referring to?
  • umm...today assyria is syria.
  • I'm surprised you haven't heard this interpetation before. it's actually well-propagated in the coptic church. hang on, I'll find it for you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [quote author=epiphania link=topic=10599.msg129328#msg129328 date=1296607781]
    umm...today assyria is syria.

Actually...the descendants of the Assyrians are scattered all over the place...mainly, they lived in the place where Iraq is.
  • I don't think it is Epiphania, at least not propagated in the proper way ie the clergy, I have never been taught that this was a prophecy that hasn't been fulfilled.  

DimyanCoptic,

I'm not sure what to believe. All I hear are rumors spreading among the youth and congregation. Nothing directly from the clergy. I don't agree that things like this should be spread simply by word of mouth because one person heard the rumor from a relative. These things need to be spread by the clergy if it is in fact truth.

Edit: Father Peter, what is your view on this subject? Are we incorrect to assume this prophecy has been completely fulfilled or that as some have said, still subject to being repeated in some sort of manner?
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=10599.msg129327#msg129327 date=1296607734]
    Epiphania the first half of that chapter is referring to Christs flight to Egypt. "Behold, the Lord sits on a swift cloud and shall come to Egypt..." I am quite surprised that not more of you have heard the proper interpretation of this verse/chapter. The rest of the chapter refers to the Church which is now and already established in Egypt. The whole prophecy has been fulfilled so there really isn't ground for these assumptions.

GODlovesme, sorry who are you referring to?

I was referring to what she stated earlier in the thread about the verses that talk about the Assyrians and Egyptians...
  • I don't think its true. My mom told me the same story except that instead St. Mary said to anoint the doors of Christians with oil and she'd take care of the rest. She also told me that its circulating via text message in Egypt (This is the version she was told when calling Egypt). It seems like if St. Mary appeared to Abouna Fanous, we'd have him say something or the Pope say something or someone officially say something, but as of right now I'd say don't pay much attention to it. If it is true, I certainly wouldn't rely on forwards or text messages for the information about what happened.

So my advice, in short, is to disregard it.