Cantor Zaher Anderawes & Cantor Gad Lewis

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
As you might know, I really like to know about the history of our Cantors.
At the current time, we have 3 major famous cantors: Cantor Ibrahim Ayad, Cantor Gad Lewis, & Cantor Zaher Anderawes.
Does Anyone know any history about Cantor Gad or Cantor Zaher? Does anyone know how cantor Zaher look like? Did he go to St Didamos Institute to become a Cantor?

Comments

• [quote author=baladoos link=topic=10033.msg122646#msg122646 date=1290564365]
    As you might know, I really like to know about the history of our Cantors.
    At the current time, we have 3 major famous cantors: Cantor Ibrahim Ayad, Cantor Gad Lewis, & Cantor Zaher Anderawes.
    Does Anyone know any history about Cantor Gad or Cantor Zaher? Does anyone know how cantor Zaher look like? Did he go to St Didamos Institute to become a Cantor?

Muallem Zaher....all i know is that he became famous with all the alhan conventions that Anba Rafael began doing (with a couple of other cantors to). I can say the same thing for M Gad but he was already famous for doing alhan classes which we have many recording of on this site.

i would say they definitely graduated from St Didimous Institute....that's not a surprise because MANY do. I also no for sure that M.Gad learned many many hymns from M Farag but no one older.

• In addition my understanding is that Cantor Zaher serves in the old cathedral in el faggala and Cantor Gad serves in Alexandria but not sure which church.
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=10033.msg122664#msg122664 date=1290586295]
    In addition my understanding is that Cantor Zaher serves in the old cathedral in el faggala and Cantor Gad serves in Alexandria but not sure which church.

I am sure that M Gad serves in St Demiana Shobra.
  • Has anyone noticed that Cantor Ibrahim Ayad is abbreviated:  C.I.A.?
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10033.msg122693#msg122693 date=1290620929]
    Has anyone noticed that Cantor Ibrahim Ayad is abbreviated:  C.I.A.?

hehe....Ibo is good to.

actually you're respecting him a little more.....you're calling him: "Cantor Ibrahim Ayad"
  • Notice how he only used "Cantor" when referencing a joke about him. I'd take back that respect comment Mina.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10033.msg122697#msg122697 date=1290622071]
    Notice how he only used "Cantor" when referencing a joke about him. I'd take back that respect comment Mina.

hehe......he's actually not that bad in person...or Antoun.
  • Cantor Gad is a teacher at St. Didamos Monastery & HICS. He also serves in St Dimana (El Haram). I have just seen an interview that was recorded by the Chorus of David & Cantor Gad mentioned this.

So no one knows how Cantor Zaher look like? Also, what's your opinion about his hymns? I personally think that he is pretty good actually, I still like Cantor Ibrahim the most though  ;). I have one of my friends that served with Cantor Ibrahim in mass, he says that Cantor Ibrahim is truely a nice & humble man.
  • Sorry I mean St. Didamos Institute, not monastery  ;D
  • MY mistake I'm sorry. As for Cantor Zaher's hymns I guess his attempt at recording some "unrecorded before" hymns is admirable but his voice is not the greatest (the range of his musical notes) and the notes (hazzat) are not perfect. I like Cantor Gad better than Cantor Ibrahim, if only he had the same resources in terms of recording capabilities
  • That's Interesting, but to be quite honest I really like Cantor Gad as well. He is a great Cantor really, I will never forget the moment when he cried during his interview because he was upset that people change the hymns of the church.
  • so anyone knows how cantor Zaher look like? Anyone knows where I can find a picture of him or a video or something?
  • Cantor Gad is my favourite. When I go down Shoubra every summer, I spend a bit of time with Cantor Sa3d in Mar Girgis Khamraweya, who was taught by Cantor Gad, and I love just how wonderful he is as a Cantor - technically superb, very open and loving, a beautiful voice and yet very humble. One of the greatest things I regret was that I have never had the chance to truly learn from one of these master Cantors, have never experienced discipleship under one of them, but had to teach myself from recordings. No doubt the life lesson in humility and the spirituality of the hymns far exceeds merely knowing the melismata.

All I know of Cantor Zaher was that he was the Cantor of the Cathedral prior to Ibo. I saw a picture of him once, but can't remember where...

• You're absolutely right that learning from the Cantor is a great experience. I had this dream to learn from Cantor Ibrahim directly, but I had to learn from recordings as well. I absolutely like Cantor Gad, I personally think that he has the best (& I really mean the best) teaching skills, he is got lots of patience & goes over the hymn many many times to ensure that the person knows the hymn. So I totally agree with you that Cantor Gad is a great Cantor. He mentioned that he was taught directly by Cantor Farag, at least 90% of his hymns were learned from Cantor Farag.

mm....I don't think that Cantor Zaher was the Cathedral Cantor before Cantor Ibrahim. Cantor Fahim was the Cathedral Cantor before Cantor Ibrahim. If you know where I can find a picture of Cantor Zaher let me know where I can find it.

• [quote author=baladoos link=topic=10033.msg123215#msg123215 date=1291329080]
    You're absolutely right that learning from the Cantor is a great experience. I had this dream to learn from Cantor Ibrahim directly, but I had to learn from recordings as well. I absolutely like Cantor Gad, I personally think that he has the best (& I really mean the best) teaching skills, he is got lots of patience & goes over the hymn many many times to ensure that the person knows the hymn. So I totally agree with you that Cantor Gad is a great Cantor. He mentioned that he was taught directly by Cantor Farag, at least 90% of his hymns were learned from Cantor Farag.

Ah, guess we'll have to settle for the recording man. At least nothing can stop us from learning the beautiful hymns themselves  :D

[quote author=baladoos link=topic=10033.msg123215#msg123215 date=1291329080]
    mm....I don't think that Cantor Zaher was the Cathedral Cantor before Cantor Ibrahim. Cantor Fahim was the Cathedral Cantor before Cantor Ibrahim. If you know where I can find a picture of Cantor Zaher let me know where I can find it.

I think you are correct, I was wrong forgive me. Cantor Faheem was the Cathedral Cantor before Cantor Ibrahim!

Sorry dude.

joe
  • The only recording I like from M. Zaher is Genethelion. He gets really into it!
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10033.msg123217#msg123217 date=1291329611]
    The only recording I like from M. Zaher is Genethelion. He gets really into it!

oh don't get me started on jenithlion...i have THE MOST BEAUTIFUL recording of m Gad saying it live. It was recorded by my alhan teacher when he spend the Nativity (and the week around that) in egypt with the chorus. it was a live liturgy he prayed with m Gad the second day of the feast........just beautiful.

i know you'll ask me to share but i kind of don't have it now.....i am in school for like another week or so.
  • How do you "kind of" don't have it? That means you "kind of" do.

Well when you get the chance, send it to me (no kind of).

Thanks.
  • [quote author=TITL link=topic=10033.msg123224#msg123224 date=1291331252]
    How do you "kind of" don't have it? That means you "kind of" do.

Well when you get the chance, send it to me (no kind of).

Thanks.

hard drive is home....
  • Cantor Zaher is the old cathedral cantor, not the cathedral cantor. The old cathedral is located in el faggala, rather than el 3abbaseya where the current cathedral is. The latter was built in pope Cyril VI's era. Hope this stops the confusion
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=10033.msg123232#msg123232 date=1291333576]
    Cantor Zaher is the old cathedral cantor, not the cathedral cantor. The old cathedral is located in el faggala, rather than el 3abbaseya where the current cathedral is. The latter was built in pope Cyril VI's era. Hope this stops the confusion

Ah, I knew it was something like that. El Azbakeya rather than El Abbasia  ;D
  • THat's right Joseph. NOw I'm impressed... hehe
  • So you mean that C. Zaher is the replacement for C. Fahim at the Old Cathedral?
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10033.msg123303#msg123303 date=1291401781]
    So you mean that C. Zaher is the replacement for C. Fahim at the Old Cathedral?

At the Old Cathedral in Klot Bey (Azbakeya), Cantor Zaher used to be the cantor. No idea who it is now.
    At the New Cathedral Anba Roweis (Abbasia), Cantor Fahim was replaced by Cantor Ibrahim Ayad.

• C. Fahim was the cantor at the Old Cathedral from 1950's till his repose in the early part of this decade (?2002).  That's why I was wondering. C. Fahim never transferred to the New Cathedral full time, he gave that to C.I.A.  C. Fahim lived across the street from the old cathedral.  He always wore a full suit and tie.  He never showed up in short sleeves like C.I.A.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10033.msg123315#msg123315 date=1291404288]
    C. Fahim was the cantor at the Old Cathedral from 1950's till his repose in the early part of this decade (?2002).  That's why I was wondering. C. Fahim never transferred to the New Cathedral full time, he gave that to C.I.A.  C. Fahim lived across the street from the old cathedral.  He always wore a full suit and tie.  He never showed up in short sleeves like C.I.A.

Ok, I may be completely wrong then...  :-\
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10033.msg123315#msg123315 date=1291404288]
    C. Fahim was the cantor at the Old Cathedral from 1950's till his repose in the early part of this decade (?2002).  That's why I was wondering. C. Fahim never transferred to the New Cathedral full time, he gave that to C.I.A.  C. Fahim lived across the street from the old cathedral.  He always wore a full suit and tie.  He never showed up in short sleeves like C.I.A.

WELLL......almost anyone who prayed with Pope Kerrelos did that. Actually i hear that some bishops and priests are very strict about this......but i don't see that to be a negative action from Ibrahim Ayad (i am hating how you guys are calling him "C.I.A."...but this won't make you stop).
  • Well, I just thought that having created the term C.I.A. would be distinct for him.  Just make sure I get credit for this as it spreads through North America.  It's also better than calling him F.B.I.

I was also the progenitor of the hybrid Arabic/English (Arablish) term:  "mokhless" which means lacking a brain (in English) and in Arabic it means--lacking a mokh (brain).
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=10033.msg123410#msg123410 date=1291435599]
    Well, I just thought that having created the term C.I.A. would be distinct for him.  Just make sure I get credit for this as it spreads through North America.  It's also better than calling him F.B.I.

sorry to tell you this....but i did hear the "CIA" term before.....just can't remember where.....Ibo is more famous.
  • To be quite honest, I'm not very happy that some people in this topic are not giving any respect to a respectable Cantor such as Cantor Ibrahim Ayad. If HH Pope Shenouda himself gives this Cantor Respect, then I think that we should even give more respect to this man. Cantor Ibrahim has been serving the church for tens of years now, & he is in his 60s, so I think that he is older than anyone involved in this topic.

Please don't forget that you should respect the people that are older than you, we give lots of respect to our Hymns teacher at Church, so I think that definitely we should respect this man.  He helped recording lots of hymns that are available to us now. These hymns wouldn't have been recorded without his efforts. By the way, I'm not just talking about Cantor Ibrahim, but I'm talking about every Cantor in our church. Please remember not to cross the line of respect. I think no one will be happy if people starting calling him names.

This is just my own opinion, but really, I'm extremely disappointed from some of the replies. Our Lord Jesus Christ himself, & being the creator, still respect his mother Saint Mary & St Joseph. Put this as an example at the front of you.