Al Qaida Threat on the Coptic Orthodox Church

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
As you may be aware, the massacre of 52 Iraqi Christians and the wounding of countless of others was in fact directed at the Coptic Christians in Egypt because Muslims have spread false rumours that the wives of 2 priests, Wafa Constantine and Camilia Shehata, have converted to islam and are being held "captive" in Coptic Monasteries, where the Coptic Orthodox Church is amassing weapons in the hope of creating a civil war within Egypt.

Both women have openly admitted that they have never converted to Islam. Their messages appeared on YouTube even.

There are no weapons the Church collects. This is totally absurd.

Here are a few news clippings:

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2010/11/al_qaeda_in_iraq_cla.php

What is worrying is the lies that the muslims are spreading:

Please read the responses from muslims in this Islamic forum:

http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f18/al-qaeda-iraq-claims-massacre-christian-church-baghdad-read-more-http-www-longwarjourna-39435/

I'm thinking if its worth logging in and answering these idiots??

You can see from this link how the Church has responded:

http://www.copts.com/english/?p=4925

The muslims obviously are trying to find ANY excuse to launch attacks against us.

Other than praying for this heinous situation the Church has been put in, what else can we do? I really think someone should go and answer the muslims from the Islamic-Awakening Website/Forum.

Comments

• very disturbing... the sad thing is Muslims believe we have jails in church and are keeping Muslim converts there lol. They are seriously deluded people and they listen to anything their sheikhs say without reference or proof.

I challenge any Muslim to come to any Coptic church and find a jail or a Muslim prisoner.
  • [quote author=Pharaoh714 link=topic=9946.msg121670#msg121670 date=1288691459]
    very disturbing... the sad thing is Muslims believe we have jails in church and are keeping Muslim converts there lol. They are seriously deluded people and they listen to anything their sheikhs say without reference or proof.

I challenge any Muslim to come to any Coptic church and find a jail or a Muslim prisoner.

Did you read http://forums.islamicawakening.com/f18/al-qaeda-iraq-claims-massacre-christian-church-baghdad-read-more-http-www-longwarjourna-39435/ ??

And what is [the matter] with you that you fight not in the cause of Allah and [for] the oppressed among men, women, and children who say, "Our Lord, take us out of this city of oppressive people and appoint for us from Yourself a protector and appoint for us from Yourself a helper?"

Gathered from various news reports and websites here's what's seemed to have roughly happened. The above verse was the opening address broadcast from Iraq's radio station that the mujahideen stormed. They then proceeded to tell Pope Shanuda of Egypt that he had 48 hrs to release our sisters held captive and tortured in the dungeons of the coptic churches. Release them and let them tell the world on Al-Jazeera in their own words their condition. The offer was for a prisoner exchange - the Iraqis christians for the muslim sisters.

They then proceeded to tell The Pope of Rome that he is to use his influence to release the girls and if he doesn't speak out it will be taken that the christian religion is in collusion with the copts.

So far the Pope of Rome in response offered prayers for the christian dead and did NOT mention the muslim prisoners in Egypt.

The churches are now deemed Houses of War because they are being used for torture, executions and prisons.

The christian churches worldwide are deemed to be in collusion unless they speak out for the release of the sisters.

They quoted verses and hadith and seerah to prove their stand for why they will turn the churches of the world into graveyards. Below is an old short lecture that covers some of their evidence for action -

The-friend-of-the-friend-of-my-enemy.mp3

and more importantly this one from user Tisatashar:

Listen General Muhfuz, muslim girls are being tortured and killed in the dungeons of the coptic churches in Egypt. Those who manage to escape describe it as 'The Spanish Inquisition 2.0'.

The mujahideen have followed the sunnah in asking for a prisoner exchange. In fact not even that. The demand is to bring the muslim sisters to a live News conference on al Jazeera and tell the world if what the muslims say is true or that they have happily returned to 'Jesus'. Of course they can't release the girls because most are dead and the living if released will expose them.

The Pope just had an inter-church conference as they regularly do as they are allies of each other. The Pope and each denomination have been told to stand up for justice and demand an end to the copts torturing and to release the prisoners. Failure to speak out will be taken as solidarity with the copts.

They have been told to decide this week. The internet is saying Al Qaida has declared they are going global on this issue. They will repeat this weekend's prisoner exchange operation across the globe until the xians release our sisters and put them on television to tell the world their situation.

And woe to the Copts, the Nile has given birth to a new child..... thanks to the martyrdom of our sisters who have turned to Allah and have vowed to die for Him as muslims at the hands of the coptic priests.

If the copts are innocent what's the problem? Or do you wish our sisters would scream in silence under torture so that it doesn't disturb you?

I personally know that the truth will always prevail. Its clear. When it does, when people who follow Tisatashar's view of Islam wake up, its going to be a hard day for them.

I'm sad to see many news reports of Muslims who say to us "This is not what Islam is about" in response to the attacks against innocent people, even if they are "kaffireen" in their eyes. They are deluded and have their heads in the sand. The objective of the Radical muslim is the same as the moderate - to subdue non believers and to give rise to an Islamic state wherever they maybe.

It IS about that!! Why are they so blind?!!?

This is just a pretext to bring complete Sharia Law into Egypt. Its an excuse to start a war against the largest Christian community in the Middle East: The Coptic Orthodox Church in Egypt.

Egypt is not Iraq. The Egyptians are generally happy in Egypt - both Coptic and muslim. I hope all that happens that is muslims wake up and see what their religion is about!!!!
  • Here are some more news clippings from major news outlets in the Middle East:

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/news/egypt-coptic-church-reject-al-qaeda-threats

I think a really good story on the issue is here from Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE69U1YE20101101?pageNumber=1

I thought this report was quite moving:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/world/Iraqi+Christians+mourning+victims/3761642/story.html

Finally this article here:

http://www.hudson-ny.org/1628/egypt-islamists-christians

• These are children of satan... lie after lie after lie....they've been out there for the past 1400 years deceiving the world... and they are fooling the "civilized" West again and again... how long does it go on like that?! Why don't we learn?!

I think our Christian brothers and sisters in Egypt should fight for a separate Egyptian state for themselves and for true Egyptians.
  • These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world. John 16:33

''And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.'' Mark 9:29

Christ already told us what to do when this day comes. Trust in Jesus and he'll save us. :)
  • that's right, this was today's gospel reading.
    may God guide us and give us strength.
  • Ain't no think but a chicken wing.
    Nothing's gonna happen man, Egypt is too good for them. Also does anyone have Anba Morcos' response in english?
  • Muslims are LAME.

This is serious. They want to "turn every Christian church into a graveyard."
    We have to pray harder than ever.
  • anba angaelos of uk has asked for 3 days of prayer, let us pray and fast as we are able, remembering iraq also in our prayers.
    today's Bible readings are especially relevant

http://www.copticchurch.net/classes/getLectionary.php
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=9946.msg121716#msg121716 date=1288768168]
    anba angaelos of uk has asked for 3 days of prayer, let us pray and fast as we are able, remembering iraq also in our prayers.
    today's Bible readings are especially relevant

http://www.copticchurch.net/classes/getLectionary.php

Thanks.

Is there a statement where he asked for this?
  • DEar all,
    Please don't forget we are Jesus' children. We pray for those who oppress and persecute us. Let's pray for all muslims alike may God stop their acts altogether
    God bless us all and have mercy on us
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=9946.msg121719#msg121719 date=1288780004]
    DEar all,
    Please don't forget we are Jesus' children. We pray for those who oppress and persecute us. Let's pray for all muslims alike may God stop their acts altogether
    God bless us all and have mercy on us

I agree Ophadece with u. I pray that they wake up from this delusion called Islam - this God Endorsed Hatred of a religion.

I'm sure inherently they are good people, but their religion is causing them to do the most inhumane things.

From God endorsed killing of innocent non muslims, to God endorsed prostitution through temporary marriages.

"Does Allah love the Kafir" says one Imam I heard on TV? "No", he replies, "... and neither do we, as we love what allah loves and we hate what allah hates".

That's just dandy.

Muslims are in a win-win situation with their "buddy" allah.

Yeah, I'll pray for them! I pray that somehow they realise that the most criminal, the most obscene and viscious muslim has more morals, respect, responsibility and humanity than his god.
  • i got it in an email from the 'grapevine' youth group in london.
    he didn't say about fasting, he asked us to pray.
    i think if a bishop asks people to fast they will feel like they have to.
    i am asking if anyone who is able to fast, that some people do, as it is a great way of intercession and seeking God.
  • So i was looking through islamic forums and i found some really disturbig things

This is word for word a prayer someone posted

"And Ya Rabb. Send sickness, diseases and cancers and disasters multiplied on those who bark(copts). Ameen."

and concerning the situation in iraq

Its not a 'made up conspiracy' its a fact that a coptic Church in Egypt is holding Camilia Shehata (Both sides say this), the issue is that she converted to Islam and moved somewhere else, then the police arrested her and brought her back to her village, the church is now saying that she re-converted to Christianity, Muslims are saying well if she converted to Christianity let her come out to say this herself. Now, the Cops are saying that she doesn't want to come on TV (although she did when converting to Islam). Many people say that she's dead.

Can someone please shed some light on this!? or is any of it true?
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5csSijSaA8

This is a video of her coming out and saying she is a Christian. There is much controversy over the issue with many stories floating around. There are countless versions of stories due to each person hearing things from unreliable sources, or others. Therefore, unless you hear something directly from the church, it is better not to speculate. I'm reminded of a previous issue similair to this that had implications of violence, and several stories floating around. see this thread for more

Let us pray, and hold our tongues.

This is Pope Shenouda's say on the matter:

"Our silence does not mean that we do not have an answer to what is said about us, wehave a strong response. But we do not want to add fuel to the fire, and we prefer silence. However our silence should not be used to cause more incitement and insults. No. this matter is unacceptable and is not for the good of the country and its image."

Source: http://english.freecopts.net/english//index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=1104
  • [quote author=Pi Onkh link=topic=9946.msg121742#msg121742 date=1288850899]
    Some slightly good news...
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8118402

Like I said before, Egypt is too good for them!
    "Blessed be Egypt my people!" Isaiah 19:25
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=9946.msg121730#msg121730 date=1288818848]
    So i was looking through islamic forums and i found some really disturbig things

This is word for word a prayer someone posted

"And Ya Rabb. Send sickness, diseases and cancers and disasters multiplied on those who bark(copts). Ameen."

and concerning the situation in iraq

Its not a 'made up conspiracy' its a fact that a coptic Church in Egypt is holding Camilia Shehata (Both sides say this), the issue is that she converted to Islam and moved somewhere else, then the police arrested her and brought her back to her village, the church is now saying that she re-converted to Christianity, Muslims are saying well if she converted to Christianity let her come out to say this herself. Now, the Cops are saying that she doesn't want to come on TV (although she did when converting to Islam). Many people say that she's dead.

Can someone please shed some light on this!? or is any of it true?

No.. none of it is true.

I urge EVERYONE to go to these muslim forums and post this video showing that Camilia is OK and has NEVER converted to Islam:

They are sadly born to believe that there is no other religion like Islam, and that they are all righteous and everyone else are liars. They have no idea of their own Quran.
  • We should pray and present our difficulties to the Lord of Hosts asking Him to solve the situation with His grace and according to His will. I think what HH meant is that we should not engage in noisy or unwise discussions with disrespectful or agitated people.

Like anba bola quoted HH Pope Shenouda III wise words: "we do not want to add fuel to the fire, and we prefer silence", this is by no means due to weakness or fear from our side but we are leaning mainly on the powerful hands of our just God. It is also very difficult to agree on subjecting our married Christian sisters to any media manipulations against their will.

Zoxsasi, many know this video and have watched more, so many things are online.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Ihx0RQHds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6emGx7E1Is

GBU
  • H.H's words are indeed very wise.

Of course there's no point in talking to agitated or disrespectful people, but there are only 900 views of her video and yet the videos made up by those reporting that she has converted to Islam are in the 10's of the thousands.

Do you think she and Wafa Constantine should just do an interview on TV?
  • The punishment for reconverting from Islam to Christianity is death if the extremists get hold of her she is going to be martyred
  • [quote author=marabe23 link=topic=9946.msg121751#msg121751 date=1288875561]
    The punishment for reconverting from Islam to Christianity is death if the extremists get hold of her she is going to be martyred

Marabe,

But she never converted! her video is absolutely clear. She NEVER converted. For her to have ever become a muslim, she'd have had to say the "shehada" in front of a few muslim witnesses. Who did she this to? Are they going to now pretend that she appeared to them and that she actually said she was muslim? Is she going to live the rest of her entire life running away from fanatics??

Has wafa constantine made a similar video?? Where is Wafa Constantine anyway?
  • You have a point she never did but can you get that out of the extremists heads? and she is in one of the monasteries we don't know because if we ever found out it would detrimental to the safety of the monastery
  • [quote author=marabe23 link=topic=9946.msg121753#msg121753 date=1288878212]
    You have a point she never did but can you get that out of the extremists heads? and she is in one of the monasteries we don't know because if we ever found out it would detrimental to the safety of the monastery

Good point also.

But Camelia can't go on like this.. she needs to live normally with her husband.. she's married with a kid.

What should she do??

I kind of envy her... being stuck in a monastery, tasbeha all night, Holy Mass in the morning.. Hmm!!! Sounds good doesn't it?

Does Wafa Constantine have the same video? Where is she at least??

My feelings are this. Let them at least do a video with an interviewer and that's it. In a private location - on national TV and let everyone's be at peace.

• There does seem to be a few open-minded people on the forum...if the majority of Muslims could think like this one, the problems between us and them would be momentously decreased.

Hi Everyone

Salam.

I'm really pleased to inform you that Camelia Constantine has made a video where she clearly says that she has never converted to Islam, nor will she. She is fine and in good health also.

YouTube - Camelia Shehata confirms her Christian faith كاميليا شحاتة تؤكد مسيحيتها

For those of you that don't speak Arabic, she has said that she has never been muslim, she never will be muslim and she's still married. But she is FINE! She hasn't been kidnapped and she's looking pretty good.

As for the picture of her dressed in a Hijab .. lol : YouTube - عاجل! | كيف قاموا بتزييف صورة كاميليا شحاتة و هي بالنقاب ‎ (there ya go). You can now put that on your CV.

Now, she's come out and told everyone.

Do you want me to post for you the links from Wafa Constantine?

• Hello everyone, I am a new member around this forum. However I have been frequently and regularly analyzing various Coptic and Muslim forums over the course of the past few months as I continue to monitor the increasingly alarming situation unfolding in our beloved land and country, Egypt. I am a Muslim, however my main intent on signing up here was to get a better understand and appreciation of the Coptic point of views, and how they percieve the current situation in Egypt.

As for he Al Qaeda threat, that is based and constructed on the basis of increasing secertarian violence, I really do hope that our Coptic/Egyptian brothers are in no true danger. Eitherway, the Coptic population of Egypt has seen various threats in the past and have bravely stepped up to their rights for equality, which I believe every Egyptian should support.

The consistent nationwide condemnation of these threats has been pleasant, some have even come from the shameless group known as the "Muslim" Brotherhood.

As for the Camila issue, it is nothing more than an excuse for Salafi/Wahabi groups to justify their criminal acts. Furthermore, there has not been enough proof as to whether Camelia did indeed convert, and later repent. Most is speculation. And even if she had converterd, I do not understand why conservatives fromboth Muslims and Coptics care...? Islam is no need for "Camelia to convert" and the Coptic church has growing influence in Europe in North America, and thus, I'm sure is not waiting for "Camelia" to convert back

• Everyone,

This situation is getting out of hand:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terrorism-security/2010/1103/Al-Qaeda-ally-in-Iraq-says-all-Christians-legitimate-targets?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+TerrorismSecurity+(Christian+Science+Monitor+|+Terrorism+%26+Security)

As you can see, we're all "legitimate" targets for Al Qaeda because of these false rumours that Camilia and Wafaa have become muslim.

I don't see what is wrong with you posting the links on fanatical websites! They have only 900 views.

I'm not suggesting you invite them for coffee at your home and enter into an existential discussion about God and the destiny of mankind. I'm just asking you, for the sake of peace, to post the video of Camilia testifying that she was never a muslim.
  • Mass killings due to the speculation of two converted women?

Barbaric indeed.
  • Masr,

I'm glad to have someone like you on this forum. You seem to be one of the few people from either side with a completely neutral perspective. Very respectable.
  • [quote author=MASR link=topic=9946.msg121761#msg121761 date=1288883941]
    Mass killings due to the speculation of two converted women?

Barbaric indeed.

Exactly MASR,

due to speculation!!

Therefore, there is a need to propagate the truth about these women!
    What is wrong with that? Is it so bad to post the links of them testifying the truth on Islamic websites?

Sorry, my bad manners: Welcome to the Site MASR.