WHEN CAN WE STOP FASTING??????

I am sorry for the dramatic title- i wanted someone to answer this. When can we eat fitary food??

Comments

• [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=9441.msg116363#msg116363 date=1278876078]
    I am sorry for the dramatic title- i wanted someone to answer this. When can we eat fitary food??

My priest told me after liturgy tomorrow, but I'll leave this to someone with more knowledge.
  • I usually eat at midnight! but for certain fasts like this one your suppose to wait until after the morning liturgy :(
  • [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=9441.msg116365#msg116365 date=1278878063]
    I usually eat at midnight! but for certain fasts like this one your suppose to wait until after the morning liturgy :(

so what if you do not go to liturgy?
  • [quote author=copticuser20 link=topic=9441.msg116366#msg116366 date=1278878879]
    [quote author=abanoub2000 link=topic=9441.msg116365#msg116365 date=1278878063]
    I usually eat at midnight! but for certain fasts like this one your suppose to wait until after the morning liturgy :(

so what if you do not go to liturgy?

Last year i couldn't go, but i asked my priest in egypt and he told me to wait until the liturgy is over.

If this is incorrect please correct me, and if it is correct can someone explain Why?
  • i think if yr not going to church u can break the fast at midnight.
    technically if yr liturgy finishes later than 9am, u can eat/drink between midnight and whatever time u need to start fasting, although most churches recommend u fast from midnight for any morning liturgy.
    when i am working a night shift and then going to church in the morning, i only fast from 9 hours before the expected time of Holy Communion, and my priest said that's ok. that way, if i'm busy at work (as usual) and don't get a break till after 1am, i can still eat something (and not faint at work!)
    so, i'm not a priest but i would suggest midnight for those not going to church and after liturgy for those taking Holy Communion.
    i hope that doesn't put u off church coz seriously, Holy Communion is more wonderful than a ch**** sandwich (much as i have been craving the ch**** lately, note word censored to avoid upseting those who, like me, have struggled with the fast!)

our liturgy finishes around 11, so it's only 1.5 to 2 'extra' hours fasting, which is nothing compared to God's love for us and His grace that saves us.

the main thing is to love God more than ch****, and if u don't, it's coz u don't know Him well enough.
  • I spent almost an hour searching Ch******......... and i am still not positive i'm right! lol
  • Fr. David Bebawy said that the 9 hour rule is only for special liturgies like Bright Saturday, Easter and Christmas. The fasting for every other liturgy; Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, even the 4 pm liturgies during lent, should begin at 12 midnight. Only under certain circumstances, like sickness or any other cases like the one mentioned above, should be taken up with that individuals father of confession. As for breaking your fast at midnight since it is the feast, Fr. Makarious Sawiris said that the church, since it is a united one family, it should begin and end its fasts and its feasts together. We are one church and Im pretty sure for youngsters like us it shouldn't be a problem fasting an extra 12 hours. We began the fast together lets end it together. If you can't go to liturgy then just wait until liturgy is done and break your fast with the rest of your brothers and sisters. Please forgive me if I have upset anyone with these words.
    Please pray for me
    Your Brother in Christ
  • thanks for explaining that more clearly.
    i am usually asleep before midnight (getting old!) so usually fasted from then and was not sure when the 9 hour rule applied and when the midnight rule applied.
    i can say the word now coz i had some (is 2pm in uk): cheese!
    sorry for those in usa still fasting, not long to go...
  • at 12:01 AM... because if you break your fast at 11:59 God will not accept it... and if you break it at 12:00 AM... you could have your watch off by a minute... so be safe and fast till 12:01 AM... plus... if you break it at 11:59:55 AM God will overlook all you have done, because we are not fasting for our spiritual growth... we are fasting because God needs our fast!

before you worry about your time... worry about your heart!

neshkor Allah... akhadna el baraka!
  • Superman I HIGHLY doubt God is not going to accept our fasting because we broke it 5 seconds earlier
  • He's kidding.
  • Actually, the Fast is extended for this year.  No one should break their fast.  We are suppose to continue right into the Fast of St. Mary.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9441.msg116399#msg116399 date=1278968028]
    Actually, the Fast is extended for this year.  No one should break their fast.  We are suppose to continue right into the Fast of St. Mary.

?????
  • really bad joke!
    and yes, superman was trying to say that we got a bit too fixed on the time to stop fasting, and we should rather think of fasting well from a spiritual point of view, that is, praying, studying the Bible, being careful to do good things and watch our mouths, and above all to worship God truly from the inside of us.

now i can also say to all of you whose time zone was behind mine;

kull sana wa antu tayyibeen!
    happy apostles' feast
    :)
  • Come on, I thought it was one of those cool spiritual jokes.

It was not that bad.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9441.msg116404#msg116404 date=1278986647]
    Come on, I thought it was one of those cool spiritual jokes.

It was not that bad.

hahaha  ;D
  • was not bad, as in, evil, but 'bad' as in funny and a little bit mean  ;)
  • Mabsoota,

Lighten up.

I do not think anyone took me serious.
  • Wow, when SuperMan said his joke i knew it was a joke, but when ilovesaintmark says stuff like that i always think he's serious even though i knew it wasn't true. Good joke though.
  • Geomike,

I can be funny every once in a while, just not around mabsoota.  I don't she likes my brand.
  • hey i'm sorry i didn't mean it was really bad, i should have put more winking smileys coz u can't see my face.
    i really like u, ilovesaintmark.
    can we be friends again?
    :)
  • [move]image[/move]
  • No offense sodr2, but i almost threw up when i saw that sandwich. What's in that thing.
  • [quote author=geomike link=topic=9441.msg116467#msg116467 date=1279050747]
    No offense sodr2, but i almost threw up when i saw that sandwich. What's in that thing.

lmao i just found it on google images...the url says Honey-Chipotle+Barbecue+Chicken+Sandwich....
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=9441.msg116415#msg116415 date=1279017048]
    Mabsoota,

Lighten up.

I do not think anyone took me serious.

haha I did, I was about to call abouna after your post.. then I saw mabsoota's reply lol.

I think the only reason I don't fall for Superman's jokes is that they're unrealistic. So was the continuation of fasting I guess.... we can just draw the conclusion that I'm stupid & that sodr2 has bad taste in sandwiches.
  • Very tempting, but I am continuing my fast until August; straight into the Virgin's Fast.
  • y are you doing that? I believe it is also against the church rules to fast on Saturday and Sunday. That's what i was told. But we are still doing the Wed/Friday fasting thing though.
  • Guys, you still can't tell he's joking?
  • this thread made me laugh pretty hard haha.. and by the way, my priest told me that you should always wait until after the liturgy is over to eat fitary food after a fast, even if you don't go to the liturgy.
  • He's joking, ilovesaintmark this is ridiculous, lol, put like parenthesis that say joke inside just to tell us.