How should you deal with people who think they are super saints?

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
how should i deal with the really annoying people who think they are so holy and every time u shake hands with them they try to kiss ur hand like ur abouna or something and u ask them a simple question then they turn it into a sermon somehow or they are just plain bible thumpers?

Comments

• Do these people think they are really saints? You could just be frank with them, and say i need a simple answer not a sermon. Also are they giving good advice while doing this or is just simply pulling out Bible verses and such? Best thing in my opinion is just be frank with them.

Pray for me and my weakness
  • [quote author=Crazy4Christ1 link=topic=8898.msg111367#msg111367 date=1267475718]
    how should i deal with the really annoying people who think they are so holy and every time u shake hands with them they try to kiss ur hand like ur abouna or something and u ask them a simple question then they turn it into a sermon somehow or they are just plain bible thumpers?

I don't see the problem.....you are mad of ppl because they are trying to be saints?
  • they just act "saintly" in front of people
    its the type that when u say hi to them they would automatically turn that hi into a 2 hour sermons and its just words with advice that would never or or half the time would even make sense
  • [quote author=Crazy4Christ1 link=topic=8898.msg111370#msg111370 date=1267476374]
    they just act "saintly" in front of people

do they act "saintly" when ppl are not watching to?
  • never watched them alone because i simply dont hang out with them anymore. its just plain annoying. have u ever had someone go up to u and kiss ur hand as if u were abouna, or have they ever done a metonia to u
  • I don't see the big deal, if they do this with everyone and are good people even when they are not around people then take their blessings. If not, be frank with them. Its that simple.
  • [quote author=Crazy4Christ1 link=topic=8898.msg111372#msg111372 date=1267476735]
    never watched them alone because i simply dont hang out with them anymore. its just plain annoying. have u ever had someone go up to u and kiss ur hand as if u were abouna, or have they ever done a metonia to u

believe it or not, yes...a lot. But those are trully great faithful people....and I am just saying faithful now to replace the word "saints" simply because we ARE ALL saints....we just need to act according to our title, "saints," holy ones of GOD.

Annoying walla mish annoying. I can list many things that we do in church that can be called "annoying" but mist of those things are what keeps people under God's wings.
  • I agree with Mina and I would say try to focus on the positive and good in these people and how you can learn from them rather than getting annoyed at them. If you are tempted, remember your own weakness.

I speak to myself first.
  • yeah i guess i tend to be more of a negative person
    thanks pray for me
  • Listen up youngin

First i would like to say i miss you man

second i would like to say when they go to kiss your hand pull it away and give them a dirty look, because your hands are not holy like abounas, and if they dont get that, then hide your hands from them hahaha.

but in all seriousness its pretty foolish to kiss someones hand unless they are abouna or something of that matter. so just say it straight out, stop acting and be normal, there was a bible verse that says lets be honest with each other for we are brothers, and let us not get mad...somthing like that; i forgot..

GOOD LUCK ON THE HSPA! miss you man
  • hahah i miss u too man but i dont even miss xbox. and what is the hspa im lost haha
  • Or you can TALK TO ABOUNA . I am SURE he won't get jealous just kidding.
  • yeah i always go with whatever abouna says i just like seeing how others deal with situations
  • Simple, ask them why they do it (kiss your hand) and most likely they will be stuck in words because nothing in the Bible says for two people of equal stance in the church should kiss each others hand. If they give you a good answer, its pretty rare but take it in and tell us on here. If not, just keep asking "why do you do this" until they stop.

• [quote author=LionessOfGod link=topic=8898.msg111404#msg111404 date=1267492291]
    Simple, ask them why they do it (kiss your hand) and most likely they will be stuck in words because nothing in the Bible says for two people of equal stance in the church should kiss each others hand. If they give you a good answer, its pretty rare but take it in and tell us on here. If not, just keep asking "why do you do this" until they stop.

it's a sign of humility and respect....a really "up there" one. it's hard for others to understand and it's harder for them to stop.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=8898.msg111405#msg111405 date=1267492847]
    [quote author=LionessOfGod link=topic=8898.msg111404#msg111404 date=1267492291]
    Simple, ask them why they do it (kiss your hand) and most likely they will be stuck in words because nothing in the Bible says for two people of equal stance in the church should kiss each others hand. If they give you a good answer, its pretty rare but take it in and tell us on here. If not, just keep asking "why do you do this" until they stop.

it's a sign of humility and respect....a really "up there" one. it's hard for others to understand and it's harder for them to stop.

Crazy4Christ1, it could be a sign of humility and respect according to minagir?? I think thats perhaps true?

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord!
  • it may be respect but its toward the wrong person.
  • [quote author=Crazy4Christ1 link=topic=8898.msg111409#msg111409 date=1267494143]
    it may be respect but its toward the wrong person.

I beg to differ......respect goes towards EVERYONE....have you heard about what about Mikhail Ibrahim used to do; he used to do full metanias to his children who he might of upset one time or forgot.
    and you missed the humility part which is most important.
  • alright i accept the part about the kissing the hand and the metonia, how about the 2 hour sermon and bible thumper part of them? ???
  • [quote author=Crazy4Christ1 link=topic=8898.msg111413#msg111413 date=1267495060]
    alright i accept the part about the kissing the hand and the metonia, how about the 2 hour sermon and bible thumper part of them? ???

well....what's the big deal. will you hate everyone who gives advice or even explain things to you....i am sure with all love and friendship. if you don't like, khalas habibi, just don't ask them. you don't go ask an abouna and require him to answer in a short answer....maybe he will but that after he gives you the whole picture. our faith is not that simple to summarize in short nice words and in them have EVERYTHING.
  • Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge,But he who hates correction is stupid. proverb12:1 (LOL Verse for me)
    i love learning things from different people its fun and it lets see the mistakes that i have

but how about the times when i dont ask them but they just start to ramble. how should i tell them nicely that i dont want any advice right now
  • if someone kisses your hand, kiss their hand back... if someone give prostrates to you... prostrate to them also

if someone gives you a sermon, listen... if they give you heretical sermons, give them a sermon!

but you making a big deal out of it is not really needed!

(I don't want to respond with a long response so you wouldn't say, "I asked a mere question and Bishoy gave me a long sermon!")

neshkor Allah, akhadna el baraka!
  • haha on here theres no such thing as a sermon. i love all the advice thats on this site
  • To get them to stop, let them kiss one hand and then turn around and let them kiss the other hand.  It kind of follows the concept of turn the other cheek.

Also, you can reach for some hand sanitizer to show your disapproval.

I know the type of people you are talking about.  They are as fake as a $3 bill.  I disagree with all of the others that have posted.  I know the annoying type you are talking about.  I would like to take out my guitar, light the camp fire, and start singing KUMBAYA!
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8898.msg111422#msg111422 date=1267499696]
    ...  I would like to take out my guitar, light the camp fire, and start singing KUMBAYA!

you should....

• Minagir, I will if you agree to join in a chorus of the same.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8898.msg111425#msg111425 date=1267500210]
    Minagir, I will if you agree to join in a chorus of the same.

i would love to...but sorry....i only play deff and trianto...
  • instead of guitar I would rather bust out the cymbals and sing the verses of the cymbals. I love them. It makes forget all my problems and want to dance 
  • Actually kumbaya can be carried in quarter metre by cymbal and triangle.  It would make for a great fireside.  I take your word, since I just solved the mire of the situation.  I hope you fulfill your word and join me.

By the way, have you noticed some of those same "saintly types" have a certain walk with a certain beat.  They tend to have the worst voices when they sing in the church.  They also have a blank smile with a "Hare Krishna" effect.

Sorry to sound obnoxious, but I find the topic hilarious.
  • [quote author=ilovesaintmark link=topic=8898.msg111429#msg111429 date=1267500781]
    By the way, have you noticed some of those same "saintly types" have a certain walk with a certain beat.  They tend to have the worst voices when they sing in the church.  They also have a blank smile with a "Hare Krishna" effect.

haha....why would it matter if they DO or DON'T?!