How to get out of stress permanently?

edited February 2010 in Personal Issues
-I feel that my mind is addicted to worry. Realistically speaking, most of the worries I have experienced so far are "unnecessary." Sometimes past cases worry me; also I borrow from the future and worry about it hypothetically. Mostly I think of myself pessimistically, though our Loving God has helped me succeed in my previous studies. For example instead of working hard for the success of my current studies, I fear failure, and waste my time worrying about its consequences. I really hate this state of mind, since it cripples my academic potential. It totally changes my personality. I feel that my mood is extremely inconsistent. At times when I am freed from my worries, I feel relaxed and act with friends in a cheerful manner. Conversely, when I get stressed, I become indolent, sluggish and sober. I wonder that sometimes I feel as if there are two kinds of personalities in me. To give you a simple analogy, you know the difference how your computer works when it is infected by a virus and when it is cleaned from it. Likewise when I am stressed, my feelings and attitude totally differ from the time I am relaxed. I know that our Loving God wants us to live a care-free life, resting in Him. Hence, this is my day-to-day query: why cannot I live rejoicing in the Lord ALWAYS? Why I let my mind to get tired of worry, while I have a heavenly Father who cares a lot for me? What is the difference between me and the unbelievers if I feel restless most of the time? Indeed, the children of God are strong and peaceful. Thus, brothers and sisters, if you are sharing my problems, let us discuss how to get out of stress permanently and enjoy the peace of the Lord unconditionally.

Asking for your prayers,

Comments

• Hello Mike, in my opinion I think that stress is something we all face in our daily lives.  I think that one way to help ease the stress is to learn how to deal with it. I myself am not good when dealing with stress but I think that it would be best if you pray for God’s guidance and help. You could also look for online articles on how to deal with stress. I will remember you in my prayer and God bless you and strengthen you in your troubles. Please also pray for me.
  • Hi Mike,
    I think no one initially answered your question because it is a difficult one to answer. It's human nature to worry and stress even over the littlest things and very few are able to control those feelings.

Here's what I do:
    Whenever I feel stressed out, I remember the following verse: "Be anxioius for nothing, but in everything, through prayer and supplication, make your requests known to God and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Jesus Christ." (Phillippians 4:6 and 7... I think)

Here God is pretty much telling us that if we are willing to share our problems with Him through prayer that He will take care of us and give us peace and guidance. What better guarantee is there?? Submit your life completely to God and He will take care of everything for you :D
  • AM SORRY TO LEARN THAT NO ONE ANSWERED MY QUESTION, NOR OFFERED A HELP IN PRAYER.

I saw your question and was about to answer it... but I thought you had it addressed to fr. Peter... forgive me for the sake of Christ...

if you still want other members to respond... say the word, and you'll find me going crazy in my response... lol its my field! but otherwise I cannot answer something that you didn't want me to answer!
  • Try: music.
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=8595.msg109187#msg109187 date=1263211650]
    Try: music.

Some classical could be sometimes nice and soothing. You can also read Luke 9: 22-34. It’s really deep and helpful.
    22 Then, turning to his disciples, Jesus said, “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear. 23 For life is more than food, and your body more than clothing. 24 Look at the ravens. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for God feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than any birds! 25 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? 26 And if worry can’t accomplish a little thing like that, what’s the use of worrying over bigger things?
      27 “Look at the lilies and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 28 And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
      29 “And don’t be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don’t worry about such things. 30 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. 31 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need.
      32 “So don’t be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom.
      33 “Sell your possessions and give to those in need. This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven never get old or develop holes. Your treasure will be safe; no thief can steal it and no moth can destroy it. 34 Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.
    In Christ
    Theophilus
  • You will never fully get rid of stress. Stress never goes away. I don't feel like being a parrot, so I will just advise you to listen to the others have to say.

GB
    Tony
  • ya i rly need that answer too...i think im gonna ask my priest about it.
    But remember Matthew ch.11 it says something like come to Me all you who labor and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. =]
  • Forgive me, Brother, I will pray for you. 

I'm not really sure what to say about stress: I find myself overrun by it too to the point of my nose twitching without me knowing it, my stomach hurting from the influx of acid and it trying to work its way up, experiencing extreme fatigue and stiffness in my body from it... all from what most folks reduce to being "all in my head." 

Pray for me, as I pray for you, and maybe we'll be able to hold each other up. 
  • Maybe you could choose a favourite psalm to pray or bible passage to read when you are stressed. I usually turn to Philippians because I find St.Paul's words so soothing, and it's a short and easy read. Or even listen to audio bible.

Like many others said, stress is something we can't get rid of because it is human nature to be stressed with all our daily hassles. But we can try and learn to manage it so that it doesn't harm our lives (physical and psychological health).
    Remember, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13) and that does include dealing with stress. You can do it!! God bless you.
  • [quote author=SuperMAN(BAM) link=topic=8595.msg109184#msg109184 date=1263191521]

AM SORRY TO LEARN THAT NO ONE ANSWERED MY QUESTION, NOR OFFERED A HELP IN PRAYER.

I saw your question and was about to answer it... but I thought you had it addressed to fr. Peter... forgive me for the sake of Christ...

if you still want other members to respond... say the word, and you'll find me going crazy in my response... lol its my field! but otherwise I cannot answer something that you didn't want me to answer!

Sorry for not keeping in touch; I was a way. Thanks all for your kind advice and fraternal prayers. YES, I DO BELIEVE IN PRAYER.
    SuperMan: am ready to learn from your words of wisdom.....now the question is open to everyone, and hope it will benefit others too who have had the same stressful experience as myself.

MAY OUR LOVING AND GRACIOUS LORD LIFT THE BURDEN OF ANXIETY FROM OUR SOULS.
  • There's a really good mp3 that I listen to when I'm sad or stressed - i'll send u the link.

Otherwise, the root cause of stress is worry. What are you worried about?
  • [quote author=CertifiedOrthodox link=topic=8595.msg110437#msg110437 date=1265923765]
    There's a really good mp3 that I listen to when I'm sad or stressed - i'll send u the link.

Otherwise, the root cause of stress is worry. What are you worried about?

-I feel that my mind is addicted to worry. Realistically speaking, most of the worries I have experienced so far are "unnecessary." Sometimes past cases worry me; also I borrow from the future and worry about it hypothetically. Mostly I think of myself pessimistically, though our Loving God has helped me succeed in my previous studies. For example instead of working hard for the success of my current studies, I fear failure, and waste my time worrying about its consequences. I really hate this state of mind, since it cripples my academic potential. It totally changes my personality. I feel that my mood is extremely inconsistent. At times when I am freed from my worries, I feel relaxed and act with friends in a cheerful manner. Conversely, when I get stressed, I become indolent, sluggish and sober. I wonder that sometimes I feel as if there are two kinds of personalities in me. To give you a simple analogy, you know the difference how your computer works when it is infected by a virus and when it is cleaned from it. Likewise when I am stressed, my feelings and attitude totally differ from the time I am relaxed. I know that our Loving God wants us to live a care-free life, resting in Him. Hence, this is my day-to-day query: why cannot I live rejoicing in the Lord ALWAYS? Why I let my mind to get tired of worry, while I have a heavenly Father who cares a lot for me? What is the difference between me and the unbelievers if I feel restless most of the time? Indeed, the children of God are strong and peaceful. Thus, brothers and sisters, if you are sharing my problems, let us discuss how to get out of stress permanently and enjoy the peace of the Lord unconditionally.

Asking for your prayers,
  • Wowww...that is exactly what i face A LOT!! I think sometimes to get over all that, it's best to just stop thinking. I mean, we're all humans, of course it is so hard not to think, but if we could just forget the past and not anticipate the future, just focus on the present..then we would be able to enjoy the present with Christ and with the people in our lives. Have you heard the saying "Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift, that's why it's called the Present" --Unknown

For me, whenever i focus on the past and future, and start thinking a lot, regretting the past and fearing the "unknown" future, it really troubles me and stresses me out. That's why i try to just "go with the flow most of the time", just thinking about the present moment. Most of the time, I begin to get happy again from just telling myself, "k that's it i will just live for the moment and not worry about what happened b4 and what might happen later on." I'm not saying that will work for everyone, im just sharing suggestions.

There is so much more to be said about this, but ill spare you having to read pages and pages  ;)