Father of Confession (FoC)

2»

Comments

• You don't need to be sorry.  ;D You didn't do anything wrong and if I made it sound like you did something wrong I'M sorry! Just letting you know so you don't get upset when no one responds to your post.  ;D

God Bless,
    Copt Andrew
  • There is nothing wrong with having 2 FOC - I have 2 and talk and confess to whichever one is available or present every Sunday

pray for me

joe
  • thank you joseph

But what if both priests are available??? What if the second priest expects me to talk only to him??? What if he gets 'hurt' when he sees me confessing to another priest???
    I would like to have only one FoC because then there would be someone to track my spiritual life and someone who would know me well. Otherwise I have to confess some things twice, once to each priest. And you know it's difficult enough to do it once

Thanks and God bless
  • Maybe the priest would be "hurt" because he is human, but he knows he shouldn't. So be kind *if* he shows remorse, and explain the situation- and say something like "sorry, but I needed to confess while you were away, and he is tracking my spiritual life." or something if it ever does come to pass.
  • Clay, he got it spot on...
  • You do realize that we are supposed to have only one FOC, right? The rules of the church say that we are only to switch with the permission of a bishop.
  • Yeah, godislove260 is correct. Your FoC is supposed to be one, and that one should track your spiritual life...godislove260 hit the nail on the head.
  • [quote author=Severus link=topic=676.msg87579#msg87579 date=1210738345]
    You do realize that we are supposed to have only one FOC, right? The rules of the church say that we are only to switch with the permission of a bishop.

Nope I never knew that.. does anyone have a reference to support it?

pray for me

joe
  • I can not remember where I read it, I will look though.
  • [quote author=Severus link=topic=676.msg87636#msg87636 date=1210792002]
    I can not remember where I read it, I will look though.

OK much appreciated  ;)
  • Joe,

Actually, you can not change the FoC without 'strong spiritual reasons' - something very dire, I would imagine. Here is some thought on the subject of switching by H.G. Bishop Mettaous:

[Quote=His Grace]
    The confessing person must not venture from one confession father to another, as this may be cause delay in one’s spiritual growth. Unless for very strong reasons, one should not change their confession father.

And again:
    [Quote=His Grace]
    (in reference to the current father of confession)
    He must be convinced that Confession is a source of comfort for a person who confesses, and growth for spiritual life.  If a person does not feel comfortable confessing to him and seeks his permission to change confession fathers, he must not forbid them, for by so doing, he may cause the person to rebel and cease from confessing again. It is important, however, that the priest be aware of the reason for the person wanting to change confession fathers, so that he may help them in choosing another who will be a source of help and comfort. If the priest insists on not allowing them to change confession fathers, the person may go directly and seek permission from the bishop, without involving the priest. It is also important to note that the priest is an adviser in personal matters, such as marriage or career decisions, and so should never enforce his opinion on others.

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/thecopticchurch/sacraments/3_repentance_confesstion.html

Hope that helped.
  • Thanks Severus.... it makes sense that one would be easier, but I would not say you are anathemised by having two - many a monk saint has several spiritual father....and the more confession fathers the more experience and advice (albeit varied) you receive?

pray for me

joe
  • I think confession is a very personal and spiritual thing. You should not have more than one father of confession because each priest has a certain way of guiding your spiritual growth. When you change this way of guidance, the goal your FOC desired also gets changed. It becomes confusing and you lose more than you gain. However, you may have a spiritual guider. You may NOT however, confess your sins to this person.
  • Christ4life, you just persuaded me how wrong I was... im with you; you talk sense

pray for me

joe
  • Yes, but I see where Joe really made sense. Perhaps, though, they were guides, just as Christ4Life said.

That understood, I wonder what conditions it would take to warrant a switch?
  • Perhaps if one father taught you something slightly unorthodox, or if he died, or if he couldn't communicate and understand you well enough to advise you fully?

pray for me

joe
  • I direct this question to everybody: Have you ever had a father of confession who you felt that you didn't have 'chemistry' with?
  • Lol.... now you put it like that..... no.... you always seem to click with them, don't you? Although I can say that I have had more "chemistry" with some than with others...

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=arubaiscrazy link=topic=676.msg12551#msg12551 date=1097091583]
    why is that  hustler you obviously mock what you dont understand? god first of all could never be compared to a pie or a cake. st augustine says,"God the father is not the Son and He is not the Holy Spirit. But the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God...but how do you think you could understand this if you have no faith in Christ? u said that you have entered this website to learn more about our religion instead you keep finding excuses to try to put us down... dont try to say that our beliefs are wrong when you dont even understand them...u need faith in God...open your heart..."God reveals Himself to the simple who are more able to interpret the purpose of God than to the proud who imagine that they are wise"...H.G. Bishop Moussa said in his book "The Characteristics of Orthodox Teaching"....and name me ONE orthodox priest that was found gulity of what you accuse him of....and those priests who were of other christian groups fell into temption and weren't truly strong in their faith....may God forgive them.....and instead of trying to find something wrong in our religion...look at yours...were is the proof that it is genuine....Christ has gone so much for his childern even those who dont love him....he has given us his LIFE....miracles happen day by day....saints appaer to heal people...where in your belief is there this sort of love.....terrorists giving their lives claiming it was what God wanted.....does God want to kill his childern? Musliums claiming they will never harm another of their kind....but how many muslims died on 9/11....how was that for their own good? Musliums in Egypt persecuting christians....God give them strength...and when musliums found strength and opened their hearts to Christ....they found a joyful life....even with musliums searching to kill them!!!! i guess i donno how u could find it in you to criticize us when ur religion isnt perfect at all!!!!!!

Hi Aruba,
    Who were u talking to?
  • I think, since it so early on, go with whoever you feel more comfortable with. In my opinion, there is no sense to continue with the one that you do not feel that sense of closeness with...

Just my opinion.
  • I'm with Severus - use your personal discretion, pick one and I suppose "stick with him"... there is no sin in picking one and leaving another

pray for me

joe
  • Ok thank you very much. I only hope abouan A doesn't get hurt or anything...
    But I'll try and go with my heart;
    Thanks again for your advise
    God bless you