Top Hymns of everybody in tasbeha

13»

Comments

• This was not boring at all, actually I wish we as girls could have the opportunity to witness such things, which brings me to my question: is it possible for girls to spend some time at an abbey (ie a women's monastery)?

God Bless
    Please pray for me
  • The monastery in Texas allows girls to stay if they are accompanied by a priest but in Egypt I believe its not allowed regardless for nunneries I believe girls can spend time there(as in spend the night)with parents or priest permission( not completely sure though)
  • Thanks, although I don't understand why only one night... but I guess it might be better than nothing, hopefully I get the chance to ever witness something similar then..

God Bless
    Please pray for me
  • Oh I'm sorry I worded my post wrong I meant to say that monasteries in egypt don't allow girls and nunneries do(with permission by parents and priest) sorry for the mixup
  • [quote author=jydeacon link=topic=6716.msg91429#msg91429 date=1214262057]
    The monastery in Texas allows girls to stay if they are accompanied by a priest but in Egypt I believe its not allowed regardless for nunneries I believe girls can spend time there(as in spend the night)with parents or priest permission( not completely sure though)

can you tell me more about the Monastery in Texas??  i heard it is on a beach ...is that right??... 
  • [quote author=LondonCopt link=topic=6716.msg91419#msg91419 date=1214255072]
    A monastary retreat is the MOST amazing experience you will ever have! 3 others and myself were blessed enough to spend 2 weeks or so in St Anthony's Monastary in EGYPT (under HG Bishop Youstos). This was during Kiahk back at Christmas...i'll let you imagine how amazing the tasbeha of New Year's Eve was! No time constraints or schedules, just a group of people lifting their voices to God in such unison.
    Tenen is one of my favourite hymns in the world, but I just couldn't sing along cos I didn't want to ruin something so BEAUTIFUL! I know that the term "heaven on earth" is sometimes inappropriately used, but it's the only way I can describe it!

Ok, that's enough boring everyone with my stories...I tend to get very excited about these issues :)

Oh Matt... I hope that Fr. Illarion organises something like this - he mentioned it a while ago, and I really hope to spend a week in St. Anthony's Monastery, God-willing. It sounds awesome.

pray for me

joe
  • We've been having a monastic retreat in our church for the last 3 years now. I went on my first one last Christmas...randomly discovered I was related to one of the monks there! Anyone is welcome to come along though, it's an incredible experience. I'm very lucky because I'm related to a monk in the Baramous Monastery, so I had the huge blessing of spending many days of my life there when I was younger.

St Anthony's is especially nice...they're currently building a new church in the mountains surrounding the desert (Church of the Cross), and you might be able to meet Abouna Lazarus (the Australian Coptic hermit monk from the documentary...see the other thread) and you might have the HUGE HUGE blessing of praying a liturgy with him in St Anthony's cave! I'm going to try my best and go there this summer.

If anyone is interested in any of our church retreats (UK or not!), just let me know. We'll sort something out :)

God bless,
    Matthew
  • Do you have anything like that for girls?? (probably not I guess it's just frustrating cuz it would be so wonderful if I could witness something like that, you guys are so lucky..)

GOD Bless
    Please pray for my weakness
  • [quote author=godislove260 link=topic=6716.msg91458#msg91458 date=1214316273]
    Do you have anything like that for girls?? (probably not I guess it's just frustrating cuz it would be so wonderful if I could witness something like that, you guys are so lucky..)

GOD Bless
    Please pray for my weakness

There's discussion of having a girl's retreat to a convent, spending some time with the nuns...maybe Abu Seffain in Egypt. I hope it does happen, because it's very nice for your spirituality. In the meantime, spending a day in the monastery is a blessing in itself. A few years ago I did a trip around Cairo where I visited the old churches, Pope Kirollos's Mill, the Mokattam Mountain church...even small trips like this are a blessing.