Top Hymns of everybody in tasbeha

Comments

• joe:

i think u made a mistake. u put Aspazeste on the list?? what's even more odd is that u put this above Ape'etjeek Evol.
  • Dude, they are in no order... Aspazeste and Apetjeek Evol are both annual hymns... they're not in order of awesomeness lol

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6716.msg91100#msg91100 date=1213881901]
    Dude, they are in no order... Aspazeste and Apetjeek Evol are both annual hymns... they're not in order of awesomeness lol

pray for me

joe

Wait a sec.. u actually sing Aspasiste still ??? That's so old. Its a golden oldy. We haven't sung that in St. Mark's London since 1980. It was popular for a few years, and then it just died away. U know.. it was like a One-Hit-Wonder. Apetjeek evol then came to St. Marks also in the same period. This was when the mass really took its time. I only have good memories with this hymn. Of course, this has never been sung now for the last 10 to 15 years. Its a shame. A big shame. It took us ages to learn it, we used to do this solo sometimes. It was good.

Now, the fashion seems to be Zefte Pantes. Greek stuff. O Kerious Meta sou.
  • Aspazeste is true old skool style - and as any skater will tell you - retro hymns rock! No Big Fat Greek Weddings at our church  ;D

pray for me

joe
  • You STILL do Aspasestie?? Wow!!
    I mean, WOW!!!

They'd cut me in a New York minute in St Mark's if the idea just even came to my head. Before I'd say the "Aspasestie" - they'd have just shut me up with "Kirielayson" response.

Man.. u guys are really lucky. U obviously have a priest that encourages this. Not that we don't.. but i don't know.. people tend to be really focused on time now.

Pray for me
  • Oh man, all over the place we are having time cuts. Especially on a feast day like the Nativity. You should have seen the looks some people gave me when I did the long Psalm Singari... :P.... it was like abouna doing the Gospel prayer, and I launch into "Psalmos to David Alleluia..." and I get evils. We said Is Pateer that day, and then when I tried to say Tobh Hina, Abouna cut me out! No warning.... Now with the Apostles Fast here, I dunno how I'll say Ondos, Niromi and Enthoten Ze in one Mass... I'll likely get my head bitten off.

pray for me

joe
  • We normally have time cuts in annual days over at St Mary's Croydon, but we go ALL OUT on a Feast. Ic pateer, Singary, Apetjeek Evol, Aspaszeste etc. We normally save the melismatic Hiten for feasts as well...we know absolutely no time constraints when it comes to the major feasts of our Lord :P
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6716.msg91106#msg91106 date=1213890153]
    Wait a sec.. u actually sing Aspasiste still ??? That's so old. Its a golden oldy. We haven't sung that in St. Mark's London since 1980. It was popular for a few years, and then it just died away. U know.. it was like a One-Hit-Wonder. Apetjeek evol then came to St. Marks also in the same period. This was when the mass really took its time. I only have good memories with this hymn. Of course, this has never been sung now for the last 10 to 15 years. Its a shame. A big shame. It took us ages to learn it, we used to do this solo sometimes. It was good.

Now, the fashion seems to be Zefte Pantes. Greek stuff. O Kerious Meta sou.

dude, aspazesta is the best ever....it's a great a hymn. even thoo we never say it, but we all know it  ;D
  • What about O Nim Nai?
  • Are you all talking about Long Aspazesthe or the short? I am kinda amazed on how much you know Joe, especially for your age!

GB
    Tony
  • Are you all talking about Long Aspazesthe or the short? I am kinda amazed on how much you know Joe, especially for your age!

Joe knows his hymns VERY well, I've had the huge blessing of praying with him before.
    Incredible knowledge and an angelic voice! :)
  • this is pff topic but in a sermon by H.G. Bishop Angelos called Life in the Fast lane (you can find it on orthodoxsermons.org H.G. said that the Mass that we pray today (St.Basil) used to be 6 HOURS LONG......    6 HOURS.... now it is 3 hours.... 
  • How can u pray St. Basil's liturgy in 6 hours? Is he talking about the tasbeha included??

I learnt something from the CHurch's in France: They have a quick way of doing the doxologies.. they kind of "add" all the saints in one Tovh-he-mepchoise... its quite good, and saves time. Anba Angelos didn't seem to like this way.

Man.... i HATE IT when they cut me when I'm doing the tasbeha. I can't stand that. Ya3ni.. tell me for goodness sake what time u want to start the mass, and we'll come early to do the tasbeha.

If you're gonna spend 6 hours on the liturgy, why not spend it on st. Gregory's?? Its really powerful.

Yeah, Joe - we should get together in Stevenage next year and do 7/4 or Bright Saturday. The mo3alim in Stevenage is an A N G E L. Really!! I Thank the Lord for this man!!  He's brilliant. He's so humble, and he'd love to let u do the song/hymn u like. That's wonderful especially given that he's always with Anba Angelos and he's not intimidated by time constraints. He taught my nephews Ten-O-Osht (Tasbeha. Matins). I will always thank him for that.
  • Dudes my hymn knowledge is nothing compared to Matt and Mina and Vas and Tony.... you should all be muallemin. But the one thing I cannot endure being cut short is tasbeha!!! It should run all night long, we should say Tenen, and Semoti and Evol Hiten and Shere ne Maria and Teoi Enhikanos, but we end up doing it in 3 hours (if we do do it - i really miss them, haven't done them regularly for a while) with everybody anxious to get it done. I mean, am I the only person who enjoys it and doesn't want it to end? Everybody else is hardly awake and probably dreaming about eating some meat pie when the Fast ends.... *sigh*

pray for me

joe
  • And im up for that Vas... I'll do tasbeha with you in Stevanage, or come to Margate for Bright Saturday - we can say Agios Athanatos Nai Nan 12 times if you want, 3 in Coptic, 3 in Arabic, 3 in English and 3 in French  ;D

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6716.msg91192#msg91192 date=1213947668]
    Dudes my hymn knowledge is nothing compared to Matt and Mina and Vas and Tony.... you should all be muallemin. But the one thing I cannot endure being cut short is tasbeha!!! It should run all night long, we should say Tenen, and Semoti and Evol Hiten and Shere ne Maria and Teoi Enhikanos, but we end up doing it in 3 hours (if we do do it - i really miss them, haven't done them regularly for a while) with everybody anxious to get it done. I mean, am I the only person who enjoys it and doesn't want it to end? Everybody else is hardly awake and probably dreaming about eating some meat pie when the Fast ends.... *sigh*

pray for me

joe

well i would just LOVE to say long Evol Hetin......beautiful hymn dude, but only said it once or 2 times....
  • Yeah, again its because of people's lack of appreciation of alhan. If people appreciated them more, then they would love to hear them.... but as it stands all they're interested in is when the fasting will end  :P

pray for me

joe

• well i would just LOVE to say long Evol Hetin......beautiful hymn dude, but only said it once or 2 times....

Mina.. i don't get it.. this is in the tasbeha.. why don't u just do it? Just cut them and say it. Its your right. Abouna doesn't usually say that part.

Mina... if u say it 1st, they'll follow u. They probably don't know it if they don't say it.  Make the 1st move. They'll thank u for it afterwards.
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6716.msg91222#msg91222 date=1213957787]
    Mina.. i don't get it.. this is in the tasbeha.. why don't u just do it? Just cut them and say it. Its your right. Abouna doesn't usually say that part.

Mina... if u say it 1st, they'll follow u. They probably don't know it if they don't say it.  Make the 1st move. They'll thank u for it afterwards.

hmmm....here it's a little different then what you'd u'd normally have vas. here in my church there are many muallemins, it's not like am the only one who the hymn ya3ny. we all do, most of us atleast, but we just don't say it for time reasons. which i guess i wouldn't mind.
  • If i had my way, tasbeha would go on from 7pm until 2am at least.... we would say all the big lahns fully... all of Tenen all of tigalilea on Wednesdays.... although that would put me on the hitlist of all peopl in the church lol
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=6716.msg91225#msg91225 date=1213958040]
    [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6716.msg91222#msg91222 date=1213957787]

hmmm....here it's a little different then what you'd u'd normally have vas. here in my church there are many muallemins, it's not like am the only one who the hymn ya3ny. we all do, most of us atleast, but we just don't say it for time reasons. which i guess i wouldn't mind.

Yeah, I heard your Church singing. I'm SO Surprised that they don't do Evol Hiten.. what's their problem???
    Are u sure they know it??
  • [quote author=QT_PA_2T link=topic=6716.msg91227#msg91227 date=1213958184]
    Yeah, I heard your Church singing. I'm SO Surprised that they don't do Evol Hiten.. what's their problem???
    Are u sure they know it??

well the ppl who come to tasbeha are not all the ones you see. i know atleast 5 of them that know it other than me. so, again, it's just a matter of time.
  • you guys should listen to the Sermon called LIFE IN THE FAST LANE...  it is very nice.... itis by Bishop Angelos it is on orthodoxsermons.org
  • I am soo happy to hear all you deacons eager to say these hymns! I wish you could all just visit me in California at my church in st. George and we can say all the hymns you want! Things like evol hiten, alel a3sr, hos erof, and many more! I recently started saying Enthoten ze last year...that hymn is a beast! There are a bunch of things we dont say that i wish we do...anyway, when you guys are in Cali...look me up!

GB
    Tony
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=6716.msg91273#msg91273 date=1214017105]
    I am soo happy to hear all you deacons eager to say these hymns! I wish you could all just visit me in California at my church in st. George and we can say all the hymns you want! Things like evol hiten, alel a3sr, hos erof, and many more! I recently started saying Enthoten ze last year...that hymn is a beast! There are a bunch of things we dont say that i wish we do...anyway, when you guys are in Cali...look me up!

GB
    Tony

welll....i might go to the monastery next august or somthing....
  • actually, im like 6 hours from L.A. I live in San jose California...more north. Anyway, if anyone visits let me know and we can hang out and talk about hymns!

GB
    Tony
  • lol that would be excellent - but me living in the UK is a slight problem  ;D

pray for me

joe
  • [quote author=josephgabriel link=topic=6716.msg91280#msg91280 date=1214034854]
    lol that would be excellent - but me living in the UK is a slight problem  ;D

pray for me

joe

Joe, we honestly need to organise a trip to the monastery there...

Or.. why not just compromise. Look:

Why not meet this summer in Germany, in Saint Anthony's Monastery. There is my FoC there called Fr. Mikhail. He's a monk. You will love him. I think people just go there to see him.

THe monastery is really a monastery in every sense of the word. Its right in the middle of nowhere, and this nowhere is right in the middle of a bigger and more complicated "nowhere".. that's how distant it is from anywhere.

Anyway, it has its own power supply etc. The monastery is really chic now. I mean, you've got dorms, and rooms, and single rooms with ensuite showers. There's a small chappel in each dorm building.

Youth from Holland etc go there, Sweden, France etc..

I mean, why not enjoy Europe??

Do u want me to organise this? I mean, we can just have like a spiritual retreat here in Europe??

What matt did with his group was brilliant (we met there in Germany). I find such retreats more profitable or spiritually rewarding than conventions etc: You stay for at least 1 week, and u wake up early, do the tasbeha, then pray the mass, then have breakfast, then go out for long walks in the middle of nowhere. lol... and the middle of nowhere is really nice by the way.

I cannot believe that this monk still sleeps on a chair. I've never seen him go to bed. He sleeps in the oldest building in the monastery. (I mean, with all due respect - its no luxury... i mean, if u stay there in winter, u'd suffer. Hopefully, the new buildings would be free).

Apparently, there's another monastery in France also.. its run by monks called abouna Seraphim and Cheroubim. There appears to be a strong association with monks calling themselves after the angellic hierarchy who serve in monasteries in the diaspora. Anyway, I've never been there... but, i'd love to go.

I did the tasbeha with Matt (Hos Erof) and i can tell u, it was amazing. I really enjoyed it. I wish we had his sunday school teacher in France with us.

Well.. tell me what u think? If you're interested, we can organise it. i know a lot of people from europe would like that.
  • That sounds pretty good  :)
  • A monastary retreat is the MOST amazing experience you will ever have! 3 others and myself were blessed enough to spend 2 weeks or so in St Anthony's Monastary in EGYPT (under HG Bishop Youstos). This was during Kiahk back at Christmas...i'll let you imagine how amazing the tasbeha of New Year's Eve was! No time constraints or schedules, just a group of people lifting their voices to God in such unison.
    Tenen is one of my favourite hymns in the world, but I just couldn't sing along cos I didn't want to ruin something so BEAUTIFUL! I know that the term "heaven on earth" is sometimes inappropriately used, but it's the only way I can describe it!

Ok, that's enough boring everyone with my stories...I tend to get very excited about these issues :)