Christmas Date in Coptic Church

13»

Comments

• I have come through the following research about how to correct our coptic calendar. There is no harm in admitting that our calendar needs to be corrected. We should face it.
    http://www.coptichistory.org/new_page_60.htm
  • [quote author=Doubting Thomas link=topic=5730.msg79200#msg79200 date=1194524994]
    I KNOW! Half the world has not heard the Gospel, and we think that changing the Christmas date is of imminent importance!

Dear Thomas,

Oh I don't know - the ability of people to get exercised by this sort of thing never quite ceases to surprise me - but how right you are about the order of priorities.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • I have come back after long absence. I have gone through all sorts of replies that are against, with or neutral. What surprised me is that most of persons who replied do not take the matter in a serious manner and they prefer to let it go as it is. Christians around the world need to sit together and discuss all points of difference and agree for one Christ. Jesus was never a Catholic, or an Orthodox or a Protestant or from any other domination. Jesus is Jesus, the Lord, the God, the son of God. If we do not start to unite by discussing the small points first, we will never reach to a unity.
  • The whole reason why us Copts do not have our Christmas on December 25 is because, scholars have figured out that the birth of Christ would be inaccurate because years are not exact (years are truly 365 and 1/4 days) (and if you want to get into decimals, it is 365.242199). So, it throws off the whole calendar and that is the reason why we keep getting it later and later on a 100-year basis (or around that much). We want our Christmas to be anatomically correct with the same time that Christ was truly born.
  • Actually nobody trulely knows when he was born some guess that he was born sometime in spring. The things we have are more or less commemorations not actual dates. the only thing i know for a fact is correct is all the feasts based of the Feast of the resurrection are correct. that we know, other than that we should not get hung up on minor details, will we really gain salvation by knowing his exact date of birth? No, we gained salvation through His birth and we celebrate it to show our joy towards the salvation we recieved.
  • Now after this lenghty discussion about moving the orthodox christmas to 25 December and the opposition or carelessness of our orthodox community to move it, can our catholic brothers move their christmas from 25 December to 7 January?
  • Why?

We are our Church and they are their Church. We are not one in any sense of the word, and why should we? We regard them as heretics and so do they to us? As much as we love them and give them mutual respect, if one believes another has heresy then its the Church's role to seperate them from the foxes that bring unsound doctrine. Why should we celebrate on the same day?
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=5730.msg82126#msg82126 date=1202979990]
    Why?

We are our Church and they are their Church. We are not one in any sense of the word, and why should we? We regard them as heretics and so do they to us? As much as we love them and give them mutual respect, if one believes another has heresy then its the Church's role to seperate them from the foxes that bring unsound doctrine. Why should we celebrate on the same day?

well you are right, i can't disagree....it's just that there is only one victorious Church that will go to heaven. And as we all know, we are the Original Holy Church and no one can deny that....we can prove it, we live with that fact.
  • [quote author=clay link=topic=5730.msg82126#msg82126 date=1202979990]
    Why?

[quote author=minagir link=topic=5730.msg82128#msg82128 date=1203005875]
    [quote author=clay link=topic=5730.msg82126#msg82126 date=1202979990]
    Why?

well you are right, i can't disagree....it's just that there is only one victorious Church that will go to heaven. And as we all know, we are the Original Holy Church and no one can deny that....we can prove it, we live with that fact.

I really feel pity for both of you. You need to broaden your minds.
    The catholic church and the orthodox churches are the only two apostolic churches that are common in 90 to 95 % of the faith. The minor differences between the churches cannot state that one church will go to hell and the other will go to heaven. Otherwise, why leaders from both churches as well as other churches meet to discuss and reach to unity.

When I have posted this topic, I never expected to see reactions that do not build.
    My brothers in Christ, please understand that There is no catholic Jesus or Orthodox Jesus or Protestant Jesus.

There is only one Jesus.
  • [quote author=john_paul_elia link=topic=5730.msg90254#msg90254 date=1213197921]
    I really feel pity for both of you. You need to broaden your minds.
    The catholic church and the orthodox churches are the only two apostolic churches that are common in 90 to 95 % of the faith. The minor differences between the churches cannot state that one church will go to hell and the other will go to heaven. Otherwise, why leaders from both churches as well as other churches meet to discuss and reach to unity.

When I have posted this topic, I never expected to see reactions that do not build.
    My brothers in Christ, please understand that There is no catholic Jesus or Orthodox Jesus or Protestant Jesus.

There is only one Jesus.

There is only one Jesus......can't disagree. but that means that who ever says i believe in "Jesus" then he's going to heaven. that's what "There is only one Jesus" means...

you need to find the true understanding of Jesus. and as we can all prove, is what we know in the Orthodox Chruch. you have to know the difference we are considering here. the main dogmatic beliefes. the coptic orthodox church have opend the doors for many church to have Her beliefes with of course keeping the same cultural bases of the church. like our oriental sister churchs.

what the church leaders do is of course right. nothing we said before is against that. we are just confirming our faith.