PREGNANCY & COMMUNION

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
Just a small question:

A Coptic Orthodox woman who is pregnant can have communion (she's not bleeding anymore) - but surely that means also that her baby in her womb is also receiving communion. But the baby is not yet baptised. Isnt that wrong?

What do u suggest Mina ???

Comments

• [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5402.msg71959#msg71959 date=1181031758]
    A Coptic Orthodox woman who is pregnant can have communion (she's not bleeding anymore) - but surely that means also that her baby in her womb is also receiving communion. But the baby is not yet baptised. Isnt that wrong?

I might be wrong, but as far as I know the mother and child have separate blood supplies, which is why a person does not necessarily have the same blood type as their mother.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5402.msg71969#msg71969 date=1181037671]
    [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5402.msg71959#msg71959 date=1181031758]

I might be wrong, but as far as I know the mother and child have separate blood supplies, which is why a person does not necessarily have the same blood type as their mother.

No.. Coz let's say da muva dont eat, where den duz de bay-by get his/her food from den? Aye? I bet ya didnt fink of dat den! DIDYA!? Aye!? Guv'na!

If da muva dont eat, da baby dont eat; so its a looze-looze sitchuwayshun.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5402.msg71970#msg71970 date=1181037971]
    No.. Coz let's say da muva dont eat, where den duz de bay-by get his/her food from den? Aye? I bet ya didnt fink of dat den! DIDYA!? Aye!? Guv'na!

If the mother doesnt eat, baby doesnt eat. Its a lose-lose situation.

Oi bruv, listen ye.....

The baby absorbs nutrients from the mother through the ambilical cord. But still the child has its own blood supply. Assuming blood is the issue here, the baby would not be partaking of the Holy Mysteries when the mother does.
  • [quote author=Orthodox11 link=topic=5402.msg71971#msg71971 date=1181039691]
    [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5402.msg71970#msg71970 date=1181037971]

If the mother doesnt eat, baby doesnt eat. Its a lose-lose situation.

Oi bruv, listen ye.....

The baby absorbs nutrients from the mother through the ambilical cord. But still the child has its own blood supply. Assuming blood is the issue here, the baby would not be partaking of the Holy Mysteries when the mother does.

Oh yea? You and oooze army den??

Wot da muva eats, da bay-bee eats - init!?

Im not saying, you're right. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you is totally wrong.
  • Dear Vassilios,

An intriguing question.

For the baptised and chrismated Christian the bread and wine are the Body and Blood of Our Lord; for the baby in the womb they are simply part of the nourishment received from the mother. That the mother is spiritually nourished by the sacraments, making her healthier in all ways that matter, helps the baby. For the rest - the whys and the hows - that would seem part of the mystery of receiving the Body and the Blood of Our Lord. Unlike the Roman Catholics, we have not tried to be too specific about this - wisely so.

In Christ,

Anglian
  • A very good question.
    One in which we should let the angel of the sacrifice handel.
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5402.msg71972#msg71972 date=1181039906]
    Oh yea? You and oooze army den??

Wot da muva eats, da bay-bee eats - init!?

Im not saying, you're right. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you is totally wrong.

if u don't trust the answer that was posted before from the ppl u want to hear from.....and u stik to ur unbacked up answer, why are asking the question..........
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5402.msg71989#msg71989 date=1181048195]
    Listen, i'm not saying i don't like u, Im not saying I Do like you, but I don't like you! Don't take it personally, just take it!"

So, it was a subliminal joke between me and a friend. UNTIL YOU CAME ALONG!! Typical Egyptian!!! YA MINA!!!

lol. i guess great joke than. but to me, it's more fun to break.....hehe.... ;D ;D ;D :D.
    and yes am egy, am broud of it. and lets stay freinds by u not talking about the egys.
  • pregnants are allowed to take communion ??? i thought they arent ???
    or is that just after th birth of the baby? and yes the baby is getting the nutrition from the blood of the mother

pp4m
  • [quote author=Αριψαλιν link=topic=5402.msg72030#msg72030 date=1181081323]
    pregnants are allowed to take communion ??? i thought they arent ???
    or is that just after th birth of the baby? and yes the baby is getting the nutrition from the blood of the mother

pp4m

thats after she give birth where there is blood.
  • well, im just wondering, can't a pregnant women throw up like any time? ( not rele sure ) and throwing up after taking communion is kinda like bleeding after communion since your throwing  up Christ's body... or i might be wrong about the throwing up part.....
  • [quote author=He Wept link=topic=5402.msg72033#msg72033 date=1181091952]
    well, im just wondering, can't a pregnant women throw up like any time? ( not rele sure ) and throwing up after taking communion is kinda like bleeding after communion since your throwing  up Christ's body... or i might be wrong about the throwing up part.....

ur rit. but it's if it's that serios and she threw up in the 9 hours after communion, than u can take that, and abouna just prays on it and that's it.
  • whats about a man bleeding after communion? like he takes it an an hour after that he is getting hurt by a sharp thing maybe a knife when he wants to cook something...so what should he do?
    i mean he couldn't know that he is getting hurt by something...or?

pp4m
  • [quote author=Αριψαλιν link=topic=5402.msg72043#msg72043 date=1181129382]
    whats about a man bleeding after communion? like he takes it an an hour after that he is getting hurt by a sharp thing maybe a knife when he wants to cook something...so what should he do?
    i mean he couldn't know that he is getting hurt by something...or?

well if it's serious bleeding he would need to see abouna to absolve him.
  • look...my english is not that good...can u explain it in a simple way...or if u can write it in german would be great but i guess u cant....so simple english would be graet...thanx

pp4m
  • Listen,
    I'll keep this straight forward for everyone: we have a problem:
    Unborn kids are currently receiving the Holy Communion without being baptised.

Now, i'm not suggesting that we excommunicate them as soon as they're born so they repent for this, but their FoC's need to know, and sort it out!!!

I think the main point is this: The mother should not have Holy Communion unless she has confessed and repented all her sins. If she has communion and is not worthy, then she condemns herself. No? That's the main thing. The baby is receiving a blessing at the same time.
  • for the kid its just a piece of bread and some wine....i dosent count like its the holy communion...just bread and wine for the baby...
    thats my opinion...

pp4m
  • [quote author=vassilios link=topic=5402.msg72052#msg72052 date=1181133125]
    Listen,
    I'll keep this straight forward for everyone: we have a problem:
    Unborn kids are currently receiving the Holy Communion without being baptised.

Now, i'm not suggesting that we excommunicate them as soon as they're born so they repent for this, but their FoC's need to know, and sort it out!!!

lol, it would be great for them to confess even before their born...hehe
    anyways i agree with aripsalin:

[quote author=Αριψαλιν link=topic=5402.msg72053#msg72053 date=1181135307]
    for the kid its just a piece of bread and some wine....i dosent count like its the holy communion...just bread and wine for the baby...
    thats my opinion...

----
    [quote author=Αριψαλιν link=topic=5402.msg72050#msg72050 date=1181132506]
    look...my english is not that good...can u explain it in a simple way...or if u can write it in german would be great but i guess u cant....so simple english would be graet...thanx

if the man bleeding a lot of blood, than abouna will need to come and pray on that. but if it's just a small cut, it would matter much.
    btw, this is only after the 6-9 hours of communion.
  • thanks mina

pp4m
  • do you come up with these topics in your spare time? haha
    well, obviously there's something that we are all missing, idk what it is...
    but, i'm sure the abouna(s) have this under control. i'm sure that if it's an issue,
    they would have figured it out, and a solution to it within the past 2007 years.
    ...no>?

• [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5402.msg72086#msg72086 date=1181175226]
    do you come up with these topics in your spare time? haha
    but, i'm sure the abouna(s) have this under control. i'm sure that if it's an issue,
    they would have figured it out, and a solution to it within the past 2007 years.
    ...no>?

lol......yes i know....it is weird how we come up with topics that where answered a long time ago.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5402.msg72092#msg72092 date=1181187624]
    [quote author=copticcross3 link=topic=5402.msg72086#msg72086 date=1181175226]
    do you come up with these topics in your spare time? haha
    ...no>?

lol......yes i know....it is weird how we come up with topics that where answered a long time ago.

So what's the answer then!?
  • lol...
  • if you're soo concerned about a problem [that really isn't there] then just ask your FOC...or a "professional Christian " :p haha...there's obviously a solution, and i'm thinking, since no one on this website has to baptize or give communion to [?] pregnant ppl they wouldn't know. haha
  • My understanding, from my priest, is that the Church sees nothing but good coming from pregnant women taking communion; both mother and baby benefit from the spiritual good done to the mother. For the rest, as has been said, the Church has been dealing with this for two thousand years - and the human race is still going - so it must be getting something right - and, guided by His Spirit, of course it is!

In Christ,

Anglian
  • [quote author=Anglian link=topic=5402.msg72184#msg72184 date=1181293390]
    My understanding, from my priest, is that the Church sees nothing but good coming from pregnant women taking communion; both mother and baby benefit from the spiritual good done to the mother. For the rest, as has been said, the Church has been dealing with this for two thousand years - and the human race is still going - so it must be getting something right - and, guided by His Spirit, of course it is!

In Christ,

Anglian

I think the danger of a baby receiving Holy Communion from His/Her mother is that they get in the habit of having a Holy Sacrement WITHOUT CONFESSION. They should confess before having communion.

Don't tell me that 9 months stuck in a small space, they didnt get bored and do something silly like kick or jump a bit.
  • what should they confess?are they really doing somthing? any sin?  i dont think so...sorry but they dont have anything to confess about it...
  • [quote author=Αριψαλιν link=topic=5402.msg72194#msg72194 date=1181303049]
    what should they confess?are they really doing somthing? any sin?  i dont think so...sorry but they dont have anything to confess about it...

How do u know! That's judging!!! You are now judging.
    Sure, we love the embryo, but we hate their sin. To say they have no sin is judging.

(( SHoft ba2a! lama2at ollie "judging" keda 3alatool, wa mashi feeha, bit talla3 sha3riee ))

• Dear Vassilios,

We are, of course, all sinners, and our human nature is the marred image of the God in whose image we are made; so I guess that makes even the baby in the womb a sinner. Unlike the rest of us, however, he or she does not have a litany of self-willed sins for which to repent.

Is this the position of the Church?

In Christ,

John
  • How do u know! That's judging!!! You are now judging.
    Sure, we love the embryo, but we hate their sin. To say they have no sin is judging.

(( SHoft ba2a! lama2at ollie "judging" keda 3alatool, wa mashi feeha, bit talla3 sha3riee ))

lol....thats funny....it wasnt on my mind to judge...for that i apologise....

i asked abouna about that topic....
    all he says is that the communion doesnt belong to the "digestiv system" (hope i wrote it right) ... cause if it is so we have to wait about 6 hours and so on ... the comunion means that the person who takes it is going for it and so on...so the baby doesnt take part of it...cause the communion is just for that person who takes it and it doesnt belong to the baby...
    hope i translated it right... ;D

pp4m :)