quick question?!?!?!

edited May 2006 in Faith Issues
I brought a holy bible but i realized later on that it's not New King James Version but it's New International Version
i just want to know it's ok to use this kind of version
what's the difference between them?
hope to hear from you guys
thanks

Comments

• christ_lover, there is no difference between the two, at least that's my opinion. i personally don't use any version of the Bible except for the New International Version because it is written in simple, clear, standard English that would even be understood by a 6th grader. so, there is no problem, bro.

salam ;D
  • oh...7aga kaman ya christ-lover, one more thing i forgot to tell you. Any version of the Bible that is accepted by our Church is fine. However, khod balak ma3ayah ba2a, using the OSD (Orthodox Study Bible) will serve you best. leih? why? because in the margins of the Book, they include references and theological sources that could aid you when reading the Bible. ya3ny masalan, say for example u wanted to know why a psalm was written, or was it even written for a specific purpose asasan, u can look in the side-margins to see if they have anything mentioned. nefsy ashtereih, laken ghaly gidan. laken adeeny ba7aweshloh ya3ny, mosh haseboh!! ;D the book is not the cheapest, but it is the best (in my opinion, of course) ;D

okay, salam delwa2t :)
    Fibo
  • [quote author=filobateer link=board=1;threadid=3846;start=0#msg54274 date=1147102929]
    Any version of the Bible that is accepted by our Church is fine. However, khod balak ma3ayah ba2a, using the OSD (Orthodox Study Bible) will serve you best. leih? why? because in the margins of the Book, they include references and theological sources that could aid you when reading the Bible.

I would dissagree, because the OSB uses the NKJV, which is a Protestant translation. Secondly, although the notes are Orthodox in their teaching, the language used is equally Protestant, which can be a hinderance to aquiring an Orthodox minset and approach to the Bible.

The reason the notes have been written in this way is simply because the OSB is a missionary tool which attempts to explain the Orthodox religion to a Protestant American audience. This makes it great for Protestants thinking of converting, but not quite as helpful for those of us who are already Orthodox.

That being said, they are now working on the very first Orthodox translation of the Septuagint OT into English, which will be released around Pascha 2007, and that will certainly be better than anything you can find now.

For the NT, however, I recommend the Orthodox New Testament. It is the only Orthodox translation of the NT into English which means there is none of the Protestant bias one finds in translations such as NIV and NKJV, etc.

Additionally, the study notes that accompany the text (particularly with regards to the Gospels) is far superior to the OSB. This is because they are much more extensive, and because they are taken almost entirely from the works of Church Fathers - particularly St John Chrysostom, St Basil the Great and St Cyril of Alexandria.

The two volumes can be purchased here:
    Gospels - http://www.holyapostlesconvent.org/HacWebStore/product_info.php?cPath=1_2&products_id=8

Acts-Revelation - http://www.holyapostlesconvent.org/HacWebStore/product_info.php?cPath=1_2&products_id=9

Of the Protestant translations, the RSV and KJV are probably the best ones available.

There is nothing wrong with the NIV as such, though, other than the fact that itsn't an Orthodox translation. I do not believe you will become a heretic for reading it, something which might happen with translations such as the NWT, which is biased towards arianism.
  • but i don't have nkjv and NIV bible
    why it's not good it's only bible it doesn't have anything else. It doesn't have description at the bottom of the page and it doesn't have translation either
    so how come it's not good to use
    let me know
    i need an answer ofcourse i respect ur answer
    so hope to hear from u
  • I have the life aplication bible its of the king james version but in lamens terms so its easier to understand.It explains things also down at the bottom of the page by verse so its easier to teach the word to others its agreat bible and also has some small illistrations and maps of where the things occured.Hope that helps and god bless you.
  • huh :-\ ok ???
  • I really dont have an anwser for but i hope someone does, i didnt know there were only some bibles accepted by the orthodox church i have the new adventure bible it has little activities and explanations of history and stuff like that at the bottom and uses easy words so that all ur reading isnt just tho,thu,thy etc.am i doin somtin wrong?

luv
    mb
  • [quote author=christ_lover link=board=1;threadid=3846;start=0#msg54341 date=1147203550]
    it doesn't have translation either

Unless you're reading the Bible in the original Hebrew and Greek you're reading a translation. When you translate something from one language into another, the end result will always reflect the understanding of the person doing the translation.

The NIV and NKJV are both Protestant translations (although the NIV did use a couple of RCs, an EO and a Jew), and so they will reflect Protestant theology.

For example, the Hebrew word "ruach" and the Greek word "pneuma" both mean spirit. But they can also mean wind or breath.

A traditional Christian would render Genesis 1:2 as "..and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters" (RSV), because they understand this to mean the Holy Spirit sanctifying creation.
    Someone else, however, who does not understand this passage might translate it "...while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters" (NRSV)

It is therefore important that you get a translation which best reflects the Orthodox understanding of Scripture. No Orthodox translation of the OT will be available until 2007 (see lxx.org) but there is an Orthodox translation of the NT available - The Orthodox New Testament - and so you'd be better off getting that.

Another factor to consider is that some translations of the Bible are literal - trying to be as close to the original as the English language allows - whereas others are paraphrases - focusing on conveying the meaning of the original rather than being word for word.

From what I understand, the NIV is a paraphrase, whereas the NKJV is more literal.
  • Some of those versions realllllllllly mess up the meaning. Idealy we could read a Bible in aramaic and understand it; but since that isn't the case, I think NJKV is the one that our church uses and endorses.
    Stick with that, you can't go wrong.
  • okay, I didn't read all the replies but here is what I have to say. All of the church readings are read from the NKJV and that's the one any sunday school teacher or abouna would recommend. The NIV takes away alot of the meaning by simplyfing things, take for example the many times the Lord says, "Verly Verly I say to you.." in the NIV this would say, "I tell you the truth.." I don't think it has the same effect and this is only one example. As for the Orthodox study Bible, it only includes the NT. I asked by sunday school teacher about it and he said that it's good, (just like the NKJV) but sometimes you have to be careful with the explanations in the margins because it is written by the Greek Orthodox Church and we don't agree with them 100%
  • you should buy a new king james version Bible it is the version used by the Coptic Orthodox Church as it is the most correct translation. incorrect translation DOES change the meaning!

try to return it and you could probably purchase one form your local church or if you ask the Priest he will tell you where tog et one or make one available to you!!

Good Luck

(alot of people have more than one maybe someone can give you theirs?)
  • the bible i reffered to doesnt change the translation of the kings james version it just uses a simpler word with the same meaning and makes it easier for some of us who arent as smart as others :)
  • [quote author=christ_lover link=board=1;threadid=3846;start=0#msg54270 date=1147089570]
    I brought a holy bible but i realized later on that it's not New King James Version but it's New International Version
    i just want to know it's ok to use this kind of version
    what's the difference between them?
    hope to hear from you guys
    thanks

The NIV is not a bad one. it's accepted byt our orthodox church and it can be used. i don't really include my opinion because i don't really know much but i know that NKJV is the most prefered in our church. also somtime NIV would provide batter understanding to some words. i know that my priest, here in St. Mark's JC, (Fr Abraam Sleman), sometimes uses NIV as a batter source in his sermons and bible studies.
  • Is there any difference betwee NKJV and KJV besides that NKJV is better worded?

Please forgive me and pray for me,

Godhelpme3691
  • [quote author=trusting in god link=board=1;threadid=3846;start=0#msg54437 date=1147287298]
    the bible i reffered to doesnt change the translation of the kings james version it just uses a simpler word with the same meaning and makes it easier for some of us who arent as smart as others :)

Although you may not see the change in meaning, it may still be there.
    It is hard to rewrite something and not change the meaning a little bit.

Godhelpme3691, by better worded, do you mean that instead of using "Thy", it may just say "Your". If so, than I do think that that is the only difference between the KJV and the NKJV, that the KJV uses older English while the KJV uses more modern English.
  • There isnt really any difference betweent he KJV and the NKJV, except what Gods Kid just said, words liek thy and your. That is why our church uses the NKJV but, they do not discourage using the KJV if you are able to understand it.
  • [quote author=Kristina123 link=board=1;threadid=3846;start=0#msg54385 date=1147252829]
    you should buy a new king james version Bible it is the version used by the Coptic Orthodox Church as it is the most correct translation. incorrect translation DOES change the meaning!

The NKJV, along with the RSV, is the most correct of the Protestant translations, which is why the Coptic Orthodox Church has authorised its use. However, it is far from perfect.

The Old Testament of the NKJV, for example, is based on the Masoretic texts used by the Jews, whereas the official Old Testament of the Orthodox Church has always been the Septuagint (LXX), which was the OT used by the Apostles and the Church Fathers, which differs somewhat from the Masoretic text.

Also, the NT of the NKJV, although being pretty good, contains certain errors.

Luke 2:22 in the NKJV reads "Now when the days of her purification according to the law of Moses were completed, they brought Him to Jerusalem to present Him to the Lord" - "her" meaning St Mary

The original Greek, however, reads "their purification" (tou katharismou autwn).

So what the Bible actually says is that Jesus was brought to Jerusalem on the day of their, the Jew's, purification - not Mary's purification.

This is quite a minor difference, but reflect Protestant Mariology. Mary had no need of purification, and was only going to the temple to fulfill the Law.

Protestants have a much lesser regard for the Virign than the Orthodox, and so interpreted the passage to mean that the Virgin needed purification, and thus wrongly translated the passage to read "her purification" rather than "their purification".

And so to quote you again "incorrect translation DOES change the meaning!", and this is true also of the NKJV.

This is why the Orthodox New Testament, which is the only Orthodox translation of the NT into English available, is superior as I keep saying. The reason why the Church has yet to make this its official translation is probably because it is, as of yet, little known and only the NT is available so far.
  • there is a diffrenece between the new king james and any other bible. These difference are important in the theology of christ and the teaching. That's basically what abouna told us
  • There is realy no big difference. The only thing is that the King James bible is easyer to read and understand then others. You can probly read that bible (dont think your prist is gunna say anything about it).