sweet 16s!

edited December 1969 in Personal Issues
hey all,
i have a friend of mine from church she is turning 16 this friday and she was planning on having a sweet 16 bday party..but someone called abouna and he said if she had this party she isn't gonna be able to take cominiun for 1 whole month!

is having a bday party wrong or something?
PLZ..she is gonna die soon..bec. that happned after she invited the whole church(almost)..i wanna know if its rit or wrong!

GBU
sandra

Comments

• no, we have birthday parties in church itself.. but usually the "sweet 16" implies dancing, ect., something that abouna wouldnt approve of in a party...
  • well..she was planning to get a bellydancer and blah blah...but when abouna said no she canceld everything that can be wrong!
    what else can she do?

GBU
    sandra
  • [quote author=sandrahanna link=board=10;threadid=3168;start=0#msg47221 date=1139187738]
    well..she was planning to get a bellydancer and blah blah...but when abouna said no she canceld everything that can be wrong!
    what else can she do?

GBU
    sandra

exactly proving why abouna didnt want it... now i think she should go talk things out with abouna...
  • i think abouna is wrong. abouna shouldnt say that to her. he cant control her life. abouna cant punish her by say that she cant take communion.
  • [quote author=50Centupinhereyo link=board=10;threadid=3168;start=0#msg47227 date=1139192797]
    i think abouna is wrong. abouna shouldnt say that to her. he cant control her life. abouna cant punish her by say that she cant take communion.

i think you should check this post, http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=3120;start=msg46640#msg46640
    you can't just say abouna is wrong. abouna is not a normal person that chills with you an everything. sometimes thay are very nice and everything BUT, they should always have their respect.
    (actuily we had this intent that someone send a paper to my abouna in church and it said somthing that was really hurtful for the 2 abounas. and it just abouna annuonced that the person who wrot that paper should go and talk with abouna. or abouna will not forgive him. ) what am saying is, they are massengers from God and they were giving power from HIM to forgive and retain sins.
    50Centupinhereyo, i think you're kind of answering by your opinion about topics, which is good, but just think of what are you saying, does it go with our CO teachings. and i think you are old enough to understand. :)
  • 1 Corinthians 11:27-33 (King James Version)

27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

32But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

33Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.

From

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 corinthians 11:27-33;&version=9;

people have to be penitent before taking the LORDS BODY AND BLOOD...

I may have to warn others myself

• ok maybe!! that was a little bit extreame but abouna has every right...

the reason for this..

is probably becasue...this party will make EVERYboDY sin...alchahol (if being brought) their eye sight of the boys and girls on the belly dancer and so on..

do it is bad enough that she would sin...but making other people sin...well....i dont know...it doesnt sound all that coptic!!
  • i had a sweet 16th but it didnt include belly dancing and stuff like that

and my friends like a few years ago that had their 16th had a massive party at their house and abouna didnt even say a thing. we actually had music playing when abouna walked in (yea he came and prayed for 5mins or sumfin) but it was nice cus he like trusted us
    p.s it was all church people lol ;)
  • all of what i am saying is absolutly rit, she canled the belly dancer and she talked to abouna again and he still said no, and about alchahol..there was nothing bad!

and about boyz and girlz..we all treat each other like brothers and sister n church, but she doesn't get the point why abouna still said no..niether do i! :'( :'( :'(

and about marmar91 when u said something about the wedding receptions..lessa badry..she is only 16,lol..jk!

GBU
    sandra
  • btw what is sweet16 party neway?
  • If abouna sees that there is a problem ask him and see what he thinks. He is a man of God. Find out what the problem is and fix it.
  • I think that it's wrong because there could be danger or temptation and harm to the mind if she has this party. Also, if it's not supervised... then that might lead to things that Abouna doesn't want to happen to his church.
  • i agree with CopticChica21 because it could lead to problems. and does really a belly dancer going to make a difference in a party it is just going to add temptian (don't ask me how) ::)
  • sorri but i hav 2 disagree wit most of u i think abouna cant stop any 1 from comunion unless they havent confessed or if they have done a relli big sin but having a party is alrrite but tha bellydancer thing isnt rite but tha person that told abouna was rong it is none ov his or her buisness it is between tha person havin tha party and abouna no1 else
  • yes, abouna can stop someone from taking communion if they see they are doing something that his hindering their or anybody else's spiritual life. i think that the girl's parents should talk with abouna and see what's wrong.
  • andrew64..actually abuona can do that..but the thing that no one gets is why did abouna said no after they canceld the belly dancer..then nothing is gona be wrong and she also cancled music so he can say yes, but he still said no.. ??? ::)
  • like i said, i think the girl's parents themselves should talk to abouna.
  • He might've said no because he might think that she isn't ready to hold a big party like this. I remember my sunday school teachers would always say that you dont even want to be near the temptation... even if you think you are 100 percent ready for anything... just tell her to turst abouna... he knows what he's talking aobut.
  • all of what i am saying is absolutly rit, she canled the belly dancer and she talked to abouna again and he still said no, and about alchahol..there was nothing bad!

she did and her parents did too!

how could u guyz react in this situation?

GBU
    sandra
  • If abouna says no, ya3ny no and that's that..this isn't a democracy guys, you can't impeach a priest, just get over it..if God wills for it to be, then well, that's just what's going down and no one's gonna do anything about it..

And aside from all the 'cruetlties' of abouna..I think he's superly right..those parties are ultra non-orthodox..I mean, I'm not COMPLETELY against them, I've been to several but as already stated, it involves dancing and well, dancing..and dancing isn't always so..orthodox..I think it's a bit extremist to prohibit someone from communion but no one should go around complaining because well, priests have their respect and last time I checked, 'Priesthood is for destined persons' meaning that this person is obviously meant for such a position and has every single right to do what he believes is right as long as in proper limits ofcourse..

The message is clear: Tell your friend if God and communion are REALLY that special to her and she wouldn't go about without communion for a month, then well, ditch the party..otherwise, she'll have to deal with it..
  • hello all,
    Abouna definitely can stop people from taking communion . Even in the church cannons if you do certain things abouna can prevent you from taking communion. St. Basil said the penalty for adultery was that you couldnt take communion for 10 years. St.Basil also said the penalty for leaving christ and coming back is no communion for 15 years! Now those examples are a little extreme and those punishments are not used anymore but ya so abouna has that power.

aghape,
    chris
  • im sorry but i think was abouna allowed to say no on such an issue...like was it fair...yer was it fair n what will the girl do...that i think was the main question!!
  • But Holy Communion helps against temptation... right? if someone does not take communion for 10 yrs he/she will not have aid to fight temptation I think from taking Holy Communion ?

Do you think St Basil made that canon ? (if he made it) through the help of the Holy Spirit ?

If so why has it been changed?

BTW I think this thread ? is too big for such a matter...

• I would trust aBouna because he KNOWS what he's talking about. He doesn't want her to be bored or not have fun but it's still a form of a party where people are gonna dance, and get all partied up and they might still get temptation and be taken away from GOD. It's not good for that to happen. What she could do is have the party at church under the supervision of ABOUNA and see what he would like to do so she can still hold the party. Sanrahanna, no matter what she cancels, it still might be bad and Abouna knows he's saying no for a reason... talk to him about it
  • Abouna's wisdom is far beyond ours, and maybe he sees a problem, but doesn't want to tell you for whatever reason. just have faith.
  • all what u all said is rit..but what would be a reason that abouna can't tell anyone? ???

GBU
    sandra
  • nobody would know, because none of us have the wisdom of abouna! i agree with CopticChica, she should simply have the party in church...
  • in church????
    i don't think we can do it in church..can we?

GBU
    sandra
  • we had like four birthday parties in church... and abouna was there and everything...
  • i don't think we can do it in church bec. she is mit invite some school freinds and i dont' think abouna is gonna agree with that!
    i am gonna ask aboua if we can..thnx christ4life!

GBU
    sandra