Why do Catholics...?

2»

Comments

• ahh tht was useful thnx for sharing it

GBU
  • also, i am just asking, what do u guys u incense for?

we use it to kind of raise our prayers with it..

You raise a good point MarMar91; for the offering of incense is an act of theological significance with practical implications, it is not some kind of decoration or show, and so it doesn't make sense that it would only be used for "special occasions" or particular types of Masses.
  • I have been gone for a while sorry.

Yes incense does represent our Prayers being lifted up to God. But it is also not essential to the liturgy.
  • can u elaborate on 'the not essential to the liturgy' as the liturgy is about praising, prayers and petitions before God in the mass//or liturgy
  • i agree. and how do you have a high mass and a low mass? a mass is a mass, it is equal, no matter what day its on.
  • i guess i can elaborate sure.

Mass is about Christs Sacrifice on the cross. It is the unbloody Sacrifice that took place 2,000 years ago. that is what is important. Incense was not at the first mass (ie. last supper)

a High mass is a sung mass. not all masses are sung. A low mass is devoid of "Smells & Bells" and is an option for those who prefer a simpler form of worship. Incense is extra. it is not needed for the mass to be valid.

Sam
  • i think a high mass at our church would be like lelt el 3eed with the long aspazeste and the aspasmos Adam/Watos being sung, and all the additional hymns + the Gregorian Liturgy ;D

(this wasnt a serious post obviously) 8)
  • lol yea i agree with u...
  • [quote author=Christ4Life link=board=12;threadid=2230;start=45#msg46035 date=1137727861]
    lol yea i agree with u...

I second that, lol!

Forever,
    Coptic Servent
  • also the censor is a symbol for st Mary and the smoke coming out of it said to be the prayers of the saints :)
  • It also resembles the hands of Aaron the priest..

how? what do you mean?
  • i think she meant the censor of Aaron the priest... "el shorya"