Workout Taraneem

13»

Comments

• [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12544.msg147427#msg147427 date=1321114306]
    good points.
    i want to add that we should also write new orthodox hymns in the language of the country we live in and also in our native language.
    we should discuss these new hymns with the bishops to make sure the theology is ok.
    then we should sing them!
    :)

Haha, I like that idea!
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=12544.msg147427#msg147427 date=1321114306]
    good points.
    i want to add that we should also write new orthodox hymns in the language of the country we live in and also in our native language.
    we should discuss these new hymns with the bishops to make sure the theology is ok.
    then we should sing them!

Actually, that is not jut an idea, it is a requirement set by the synod since 1998. I have book of synodic decisions, and this is in it. I cant get you the quote now as I am away from home for school, but I should be able to get to it next week. They decide that nothing can be sung in church until it is taken into consideration by the synod. Those songs that some churches sing during communion such as, No don't leave me alone, O pilgrim, and the like, are not approved yet so they should not be sung. As for translating songs into the native language, I feel that doing so is fine, as long as a balance is maintained between the use of Coptic, and the Vernacular. I agree with translating into the native language but the ancient language, I feel, allows us to remain constant with our roots.

ReturnOrthodoxy
  • no, i mean write the songs in the vernacular (good, orthodox songs) and then translate them into coptic or arabic!
    certainly then they need to be approved (and altered if necessary) by a bishop or someone with authority given by the bishop.
  • What I seem to understand from this whole thread is that although lyrics can be good, the music itself is sinful?
    How does that make any sense? Many of our hymns originate from ancient Egyptian tunes used to worship other gods and pharaohs? So are they wrong?
    All nations adapted local tunes to make hymns and Christian songs, Jesus and the apostles never gave us a range of tunes we could use in churches while restricting all others.
    It just happens we live in a country where country for example is a popular genre, as a result, many christian artists have adopted the genre and used christian lyrics instead. In the correct context, there is nothing wrong if we listen to these songs just like there is nothing wrong listening to "Epouro", once used to praise a Pharaoh, but adopted to worship the true King and Pharaoh, Jesus.
    As Paul said, "All things are good but not all things edify."