What if's and a bunch of other random questions.

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Yeh, i am a pretty ( i should leave it at that but i kinda gotta continue the sentence) curious person so yeh i kinda get lotssssss and lotttttssss and lottttsssss  and lottttstsssss andlottttssss and lottttssss.... of questions a day. soo here they go

**If you had to kids and somehow you got stuck somewhere where you life and your two kids lives were in danger, and then some one said you have to decide which of your kids you wish us to kill or we kill all of you, what should you do...????
**If the devil stays in hell right, then what is his punishment when the world ends, like coz he isnt really getting punnished coz he is doing what he wants soo yehh, i dont know if u get that or not, but tell me if u dont and i will try and re explian?
**Is there anything against organ donating in our religion?
** One time i went to get communion and i had my hands held behind my back and abouna told me to move them to the front and then i did and he told me never to have my hand held behind my back when taking communion, is there a reason behind that?
** Y do we have to use that napkin thingy on our mouth after communion??
** Is it bad to read harry potter eve nif like i i dont get obsessed with it and liek barely remember it after i read it (or even during i read it, i have some bad short term memory loss hahahah)???
hmmm,,, i seemed to have forgot some of my other questions that i had thought of sooo, i will post the rest of them as soon as i remember them... soo yeh well cya

ohh and btw, anyone else with any random questions, u feel welcome to post them here too... i dont mind... so yeh cya

Comments

• [quote author=I belong to Jesus link=topic=10682.msg130345#msg130345 date=1297325886]
    **If the devil stays in hell right, then what is his punishment when the world ends, like coz he isnt really getting punnished coz he is doing what he wants soo yehh, i dont know if u get that or not, but tell me if u dont and i will try and re explian?

he is already punished...he acted against God, and he got what he deserved.....what else is there to explain....

nope. actually it's even encouraged as long as it doesn't endanger the life of the donor.

** One time i went to get communion and i had my hands held behind my back and abouna told me to move them to the front and then i did and he told me never to have my hand held behind my back when taking communion, is there a reason behind that?

it shown your acceptance of communion. when you want something from someone, you present your hand towards them asking for what you want. same with communion. It's not somthing that we are forced to take but rather something that we need and we must desire and believe that it make be unto us the true cleansing and dwelling of God in us.

you don't......but 99% of time you do...simply to make sure that none of communion is lost here or there. that is so only with the Body. you can see that in many churches that lefafa (corporeal in english i think) is taken from you before you go for the Blood simply because most people tend to just cross themselves after and wiping their mouth with the lefafa....which is not good because now we would have to deal with the blood on the lefafa.

** Is it bad to read harry potter eve nif like i i dont get obsessed with it and liek barely remember it after i read it (or even during i read it, i have some bad short term memory loss hahahah)???

hehe.....i don't read the books but i been following the movies just for the sake of them being movies.
    Fr. Peter doesn't recommend there books.....i am with him--not that i read much books in general. i did however read all the Chronicles of Narnia books--i liked them a LOT.
  • not all orthodox churches use the lefafa (not sure what it's called in english either!) after communion, in others, the deacon watches closely to check nothing drops.
    but if you don't use it in a coptic church, the priest may assume you are not orthodox as it is always used in the coptic church. if you don't have one (eg. they run out), use the corner of your headscarf (women) or sleeve/shirt collar (men) to cover your mouth after taking the Holy Body.
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=10682.msg130353#msg130353 date=1297338410]
    not all orthodox churches use the lefafa (not sure what it's called in english either!) after communion, in others, the deacon watches closely to check nothing drops.

okay.

but if you don't use it in a coptic church, the priest may assume you are not orthodox as it is always used in the coptic church. if you don't have one (eg. they run out), use the corner of your headscarf (women) or sleeve/shirt collar (men) to cover your mouth after taking the Holy Body.

oh......nonononono. that's a huge NO!!! a lefafa is not just any piece of cloth keda....but it is set for that. using anything else is not fitting. i was taught this when i used my badrashel as a lefafa.
  • WOOOOOWW... umm... u guys are smart, u answered a whole bunch of life questions in like 3 posts... ok, i have to remember the rest of my questions,  >:( memory loss kicked in again...
    ohh
    **do coptics also do honeymoons (i know random question, but thats me for u) like yeh?

i think thats all i remember, hmmm.... well anyway, i will go to my swimming carnival at skool today and hopefully remember somemore as i sit with my friends being bored all day coz i cant enter coz i cant swim... hahahah... aww, gonna b so bored. well cya
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10682.msg130346#msg130346 date=1297326908]
    [quote author=I belong to Jesus link=topic=10682.msg130345#msg130345 date=1297325886]

he is already punished...he acted against God, and he got what he deserved.....what else is there to explain....

nope. actually it's even encouraged as long as it doesn't endanger the life of the donor.

it shown your acceptance of communion. when you want something from someone, you present your hand towards them asking for what you want. same with communion. It's not somthing that we are forced to take but rather something that we need and we must desire and believe that it make be unto us the true cleansing and dwelling of God in us.

you don't......but 99% of time you do...simply to make sure that none of communion is lost here or there. that is so only with the Body. you can see that in many churches that lefafa (corporeal in english i think) is taken from you before you go for the Blood simply because most people tend to just cross themselves after and wiping their mouth with the lefafa....which is not good because now we would have to deal with the blood on the lefafa.

hehe.....i don't read the books but i been following the movies just for the sake of them being movies.
    Fr. Peter doesn't recommend there books.....i am with him--not that i read much books in general. i did however read all the Chronicles of Narnia books--i liked them a LOT.

How About brain transplants?
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=10682.msg130387#msg130387 date=1297369762]

WHAT?! that exists and actually possible?
    if so, i don't really know an answer.

[quote author=I belong to Jesus link=topic=10682.msg130385#msg130385 date=1297369000]
    WOOOOOWW... umm... u guys are smart, u answered a whole bunch of life questions in like 3 posts... ok,
    will this was quick....i expect others to answer with more details.

**do coptics also do honeymoons (i know random question, but thats me for u) like yeh?

i don't think that is restricted by the Church. it really depends on your culture.
  • [quote author=I belong to Jesus link=topic=10682.msg130345#msg130345 date=1297325886]

lol I don't like that kinda stuff so I ticked NO to donating my organs on my driving license.. I asked Fr. Matthew about this and he said it is encouraged in the Coptic Church :)

Cheers
  • [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10682.msg130393#msg130393 date=1297371987]
    [quote author=Khas. link=topic=10682.msg130387#msg130387 date=1297369762]

if so, i don't really know an answer

No, that's a load of science fiction.
  • [quote author=JG link=topic=10682.msg130962#msg130962 date=1297963797]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10682.msg130393#msg130393 date=1297371987]

Who knows? Stop predicting the future saying there will be no stem cell research to the extent where we can connect nerves and make them good as new, and there will be no ability to keep a brain alive without a body. Stop it!
  • [quote author=Khas. link=topic=10682.msg131022#msg131022 date=1297992691]
    [quote author=JG link=topic=10682.msg130962#msg130962 date=1297963797]
    [quote author=minatasgeel link=topic=10682.msg130393#msg130393 date=1297371987]

Who knows? Stop predicting the future saying there will be no stem cell research to the extent where we can connect nerves and make them good as new, and there will be no ability to keep a brain alive without a body. Stop it!

It's science fiction at the moment. Let's not twist my words to feed flames  ::)
    **If the devil stays in hell right, then what is his punishment when the world ends, like coz he isnt really getting punnished coz he is doing what he wants soo yehh, i dont know if u get that or not, but tell me if u dont and i will try and re explian? .

I would to clarify that the devil (Satan) is not in hell. As a matter of fact, nobody is in hell. If you read the book of Job you will see that Satan tells God that he has been roaming the earth. When you die, you are either in the Paradise of Joy or Hades. Nobody is in heaven or hell. Not until our Lord Jesus Christ comes for the Second time.

my abouna just recently talked about this well he said it has to do with chapter 6 in Isaiah and how the Seraphim uses two wings to cover their face well we are to use the "napkin thing" to do the same as well as be more aware of the dwelling of Jesus Christ within us and shut ourselves out from our surroundings and focus on Jesus Christ being in us and our prayers during the this time in communion.
  • Hey 2Cornthians5:7

But then why don't we use it when partaking of the Blood?
  • Im not a hundred percent but I believe the blood is like the coal that touches Isaiah's lips in chapter 6 I don't remember Abouna explaining anything other than that lol sorry my answer just consisted of what Abouna said
  • In a practical sense the cloth is used to allow for a discrete and reverent reception of the body of our Lord at to protect from an accident. The blood is swallowed immediately and does not pose the same risks.

There are of course many thoughtful reflections which can be made concerning the use of a cloth. It is a later development in our Church tradition and is not a universal aspect of the Orthodox Faith. But certainly we use such cloths in my own congregation because the element of reverent reception is obviously served by them.
  • The cloth is especially important for young kids as they take more time to chew.
  • also it is useful if the piece you are given is bigger than your mouth.
    i was in a church once that didn't always use any cloths and that's when i used my shawl as i always feel the need to use it. it's to make the distinction that it is not the same as eating ordinary food.
  • Thanks Fr. Peter, imikhail, mabsoota, and 2Corinthians5:7!
  • hi y'all
    i'm back
    new question
    **why do we call fasting fasting, it gets annoying having to explain that we aren't muslim and we don't not eat but we just eat specific things? Why can't it be called something else like abstinence or... umm something else that doesn't involve a misunderstanding the first time you hear it ... especially during Ramadan...
    soo yeh
    my curious mind at work again...
    cya
  • the muslims copied us.
    we were here first!
    we should also abstain from eating and drinking until noon or whatever time your spiritual advisor (priest) says. usually children are not expected to abstain, but people can start abstaining until 9 or 10 am from late childhood (i suppose age 10 or around that) and then gradually build up to abstaining till noon in late teens. always check with your priest first, and if you have medical problems less is expected.

many of us are quite bad at this, but will try harder this fast!
    ;)

PS lent is harder than ramadan anyway...
  • A Muslim acquaintance of mine once got into a conversation about how much they love Ramadan, how they wish it were longer, etc. I told him (semi-jokingly, just to test the waters, so to speak) that he ought to try Lent, because then he's guaranteed more days to fast. He replied that Lent cannot be considered a true fast because "it's only 10 days more, and besides you get to drink water"!  :o ::)

I asked him how drinking water could invalidate a fast, but gorging on food at sundown (as I am told by friends in Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, and other places in the Islam-occupied world that Muslims do unashamedly) could not. He pretended as though he didn't understand my question, and when I repeated it in slightly different terms he only repeated that his claim that Muslims do not consider the Christian fasts to be fasts at all.

I do not understand Muslims or their religion at all. I thought that the more I met the more I would understand, but that hasn't happened yet, even after living for two years in a town where the second largest foreign-born population were Saudis.  :-\

I don't know about where you live, IBTJesus, but I wouldn't worry about confusion. There would probably be confusion among the non-Orthodox about what you meant by "abstinence", too, since in the West (in the USA, anyway) that's often only understood in a carnal/sexual way. The worldly will never understand the Orthodox way of doing things. Remember St. Anthony's quote about how there will come a time when mad people will think regular people mad for not being like they are. That's this life in a nutshell!  ;D
  • yehhh... i live in sydney and its my school friends that get it confused... oh i didnt know that about abstinence... i was just chucking that out there coz i didnt have any other words on my mind... well i just learnt a few things there...
    hahaah thanks

• Satan seperated himself in heaven and took other angels with him. He ended up in hell but he is still seperating spirit away from God. God isn't trying to make satan happy, so why would he allow him out of hell?
  • [quote author=Joshuaa link=topic=10682.msg142785#msg142785 date=1312839637]

Satan seperated himself in heaven and took other angels with him. He ended up in hell but he is still seperating spirit away from God. God isn't trying to make satan happy, so why would he allow him out of hell?

???

This seems so random. Am I missing something?
  • if u do lent fully, on weekdays, u eat and drink nothing between midnight and 3pm. that is often longer than the ramadan abstinence, plus u then eat only vegan food.
    at weekends u can eat and drink in the morning, unless, of course u r taking Holy Communion, which u often are.
    it's tough enough for me!
    ;)
  • Thank you mabsoota for this point! :) but during the past lent i started off by abstaining until 1 p.m. for the first few weeks then pushed it to 3 p.m. and yet i became ill with bad headaches and migraines along with stomach pain this caused a lot of disappointment for me because it pushed me back further until only 12 p.m. and i was wondering if anyone can tell me if i should have done something different or any other type of suggestion? (sorry if i'm turning the thread away to my own problem but i am really curious as to how i could do things differently for next year) Thank you God bless
  • dowt worry... u can use this thread for any [i]random[i] questions...
    cya
  • Thank you I belong to Jesus, God Bless you and everyone in this fast :)
  • it's important to follow the guidance of your priest regarding fasting.
    the main thing is fasting from bad stuff (jealously, greed, pride, rage etc) and limiting your food intake helps this.
    it is vital to pray a lot and read the Bible, as we are in a spiritual battle and the enemy wants us to fall into all kinds of sin and prayer and Bible study is essential.
    eg. Jesus in the wilderness, he didn't just fast, he prayed all the time and was able to quote the Bible (old testament) really well.

i didn't abstain from food yet this fast, i was working night shifts, but they finish soon.
    so i think u did the right thing, it's ok not to fast if u r sick, but make sure to speak to the priest.

about headaches, i think a lot of people don't drink enough when they break their fast. rehydrating yourself should stop most headaches. it also helps to avoid kidney problems and constipation (not that many people manage to get constipated on a diet of 50% beans!)
    ;)
  • hahaha... your last point was very true... good one...
    cya