But why does the Church allow Fish?

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
Sorry guys, i'm just curious.
Why did the Church decide to allow us to eat fish for this fast? and not say... Tiramisu??

Comments

• Vas.... look some stuff are just like that.... like we are allowed to eat fish.... that is it....no need to make a big deal out of it....
  • [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6834.msg91590#msg91590 date=1214504681]
    Vas.... look some stuff are just like that.... like we are allowed to eat fish.... that is it....no need to make a big deal out of it....

Im allowed to ask. If it bothers u.. why not find someone else to pick on?

I hate doing something without understanding why. I hate being ignorant... there's many things I don't know.. but when I read the reason why as given by the poster below, I was truly grateful that I asked. I found it very rewarding.

Try reading this article, it should explain why:
    http://coptichymns.net/module-library-viewpub-tid-1-pid-494.html

That was just brilliant!!!!! Thanks a million for the link. It explained a lot. God bless u.

• [quote author=coptic pharaoh link=topic=6834.msg91590#msg91590 date=1214504681]
    Vas.... look some stuff are just like that.... like we are allowed to eat fish.... that is it....no need to make a big deal out of it....

Absolutely NOTHING in our church is coincidence - the liturgy, Agpeya, tasbeha, fasts, feasts, traditions - ALL OF IT IS THERE IN A SPECIFIC ORDER FOR A SPECIFIC REASON!!
    This is the way it was ordered by the church fathers and the apostles before them. For example, there is a specific reason why we pray the Prayer of Reconciliation BEFORE the Epicleses in the liturgy - it's not just the way it is...it's ordered that way on purpose with full intent.

Understanding WHY these things are placed in a specific order and in the way that they are is VERY important - otherwise we become like the Pharisees who performed all of their vows in the temple without any heart. That's not to say that understanding every single tradition is an easy task :)
  • AMEN LondonCopt!!

THe link you provided was essential. Imagine telling our friends at school we fast with fish during the apostle's lent. When they say "why" - how stupid we look if we answer and say :"I don't know.. but I don't ask why, I just do it".

But to tell them the reason, we've evangelised without realising.

For goodness sake... its harmless asking questions!! We do not have to remain ignorant for the sake of looking cool.

OK... i am soooooo  sorry i even dared think of such a thing... now i am actually interested to see the reason.... i just thought that they allow us to eat fish, because we fast more than 200 days a year... so they just allowed fish in some of the fasts........

i am sorry again if i offended you...
  • Lol, nobody's offended! I'm sorry if i seemed offended in my response, I honestly didn't mean to :)
    It's just that I get very passionate on this subject of rites and traditions...I've been this way ever since I heard a talk by HG Anba Yoannis on CTV.

Our church is wonderful, but we have to take time to appreciate its beauty and its complexity :)
    (and you're partly right on the reason why we eat fish :P)