alel orban

edited December 1969 in Hymns Discussion
Hello. I just want to clarify if we say this hymn instead of the 41 kerie leysons on feast days. I assumed that the 41 kerie leysons were not chanted on the feast days and instead we would say alel orban.....correct?

GB
Tony

Comments

• [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg71418#msg71418 date=1180111861]
    Hello. I just want to clarify if we say this hymn instead of the 41 kerie leysons on feast days. I assumed that the 41 kerie leysons were not chanted on the feast days and instead we would say alel orban.....correct?

yes you're right. but i think not all feast days. because most of the time you're supposed to say ep-oroo or ekesmaroot instead of the kerie leisons. and than you say al el-orban. like in the holy fifties u say the kerie leisons noraml and than start al el-orban. actully last sunday in my church abouna stood in the altar for long enough that we actually said it till that tenen part. that like the longest i ever said in a live liturgy
  • WOOOW. Thats pretty far actually. Do you have a recording of that? I love this hymn so much, its awesome!

GB
    Tony
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg71420#msg71420 date=1180112605]
    WOOOW. Thats pretty far actually.

Is that a comment of a criticism statement :( :( :(

Do you have a recording of that? I love this hymn so much, its awesome!

of the live or ........ because there HICS recorded it, Maullem Farag, Wgdi Bishara, Ibrahim Ayad recorded it fully. t's yes a great hymn. it's going to be great saying all of it next saturday. :)
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5362.msg71421#msg71421 date=1180113317]

No its not. People rarely ever get to that part.

[quote author=minagir link=topic=5362.msg71421#msg71421 date=1180113317]
    of the live or ........ because there HICS recorded it, Maullem Farag, Wgdi Bishara, Ibrahim Ayad recorded it fully. t's yes a great hymn. it's going to be great saying all of it next saturday. :)

I was talking about the live. You are saying the whole thing next saturday?? why or how?
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg71422#msg71422 date=1180113865]

No its not. People rarely ever get to that part.

i'll try to get the live part for you.
    and am saying next for the Seraphim Chorus exam. becasue we learned the full Allelouia this year.
    I was talking about the live. You are saying the whole thing next saturday?? why or how?
  • seraphim chorus exam????!!!! ??? What on earth is that?!
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg71424#msg71424 date=1180114216]
    seraphim chorus exam????!!!! ???

am in the Seraphim Chorus of the north archdiocese (seraphimchorus.org). we're in our 2nd semester and after each one we have a final exam. we learn many hymns. we're not that femous yet but we're there.
  • OK, couple more questions......who teaches or who do you base your hymns off of? Second.....do you have any recording i can hear from this choir??
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg71426#msg71426 date=1180115207]
    who teaches?

we have 5 teachers. great servants from around the tri-state area. 3 of them are from my church... ;D ;D

who do you base your hymns off of?

First, HICS
    Second, Muallem Sadek
    anything they didn't record you have Muallem Tawfik, Farag, Fahim, than Ibrahim Ayad.

Sometimes thoo we try to not change much of the hymn that are already have a way to be said. like most of the time we would have a part that is recorded so diffrent from HICS. so what we would do is learn that as the original and the source and than learnd the way that is normally said around. our goal is to unite the hymns around here in the church and have a standered english version of most of our hymns.

Second.....do you have any recording i can hear from this choir??

not till now. we will soon have some class online thoo. recording is really not a big thing in the chorus except in the english responses. all the coptic was allready recorded and we have a source for all of the hymns. but we might record for just another great chorus sound.
  • interesting. A lot of choirs nowadays.........well its great to see people joining together to with the intent to unify the church's hymns.  What hymns do they teach or have you learned recently?
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg71428#msg71428 date=1180115797]
    interesting. A lot of choirs nowadays.........well its great to see people joining together to with the intent to unify the church's hymns.  What hymns do they teach or have you learned recently?

here is this semester syllabus, here. the first one we learned a lot of things from St. Basil's liturgy. i shouldn't be using the word 'learning' becasue we don't really learn things that we're suppossed to know. what i mean is that there is requirment for the chorus and one is that u know ome very very basic hymns that all deacons should know. and if it's a new hymn to learn, we ought to learn it before we go to calss, and than review what we learned there. review includes pauses and all these chorus things.....
  • Ok, very interesting. Thanks for explaining all of this. too bad i wont get a chance to say the whole alleluia on sunday.....or any time soon........except maybe in the car  ;)
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg71431#msg71431 date=1180117051]
    Ok, very interesting. Thanks for explaining all of this. too bad i wont get a chance to say the whole alleluia on sunday.....or any time soon........except maybe in the car  ;)

lol..........u can say it any where else if u want toooo. lol, thats the theam of our chorus, there is always someone singing hymn some where, at some time.
  • the farthest we ever get is to the second repeat part, and we say fast!
  • just out of curiosity,
    do u say "a" as in car or "a" as in cat?
  • "A" as in Car. That is the correct way to pronounce it. Plus, it sounds really weird and fobby to say it like "a" as in cat.

GB
    Tony
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72210#msg72210 date=1181351519]
    "A" as in Car. That is the correct way to pronounce it. Plus, it sounds really weird and fobby to say it like "a" as in cat.

actully it's very hard to say a as in cat in a long hymn. especialy one that is all "A"
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5362.msg72211#msg72211 date=1181352121]
    [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72210#msg72210 date=1181351519]
    "A" as in Car. That is the correct way to pronounce it. Plus, it sounds really weird and fobby to say it like "a" as in cat.

actully it's very hard to say a as in cat in a long hymn. especialy one that is all "A"

But thats not the main reason. Its incorrect pronounciation.
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72212#msg72212 date=1181353062]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=5362.msg72211#msg72211 date=1181352121]

Tony.....please don't start in the incorrect or correct provounciatinon. it would never end and u'll find out that everything we would be saying is that "incorrect pronounciation"
  • Thank you minagir, strongly agree.
    God bless you all and mention me in your prayers
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5362.msg72213#msg72213 date=1181353616]
    [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72212#msg72212 date=1181353062]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=5362.msg72211#msg72211 date=1181352121]

Tony.....please don't start in the incorrect or correct provounciatinon. it would never end and u'll find out that everything we would be saying is that "incorrect pronounciation"

I dont know what you do in your church, but in mine, we try our best to pronounce the greek and coptic words correctly.
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72223#msg72223 date=1181417300]
    I dont know what you do in your church, but in mine, we try our best to pronounce the greek and coptic words correctly.

so wait, how about [coptic]Doxaci> makarizin. [/coptic] wait....why go far. how do you say [coptic]Allylouia[/coptic]. and many more words.......
  • I follow the rules of greco-bohairic. HCOC is my reference.
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72239#msg72239 date=1181429014]
    I follow the rules of greco-bohairic. HCOC is my reference.

here is a sample of HCOC recording, "The Rite and Hymns of the Annual Sunday Vespers Praise":
    Alleluia of the Vespers Praise: Alle-el-3asr

they say alleluia, A is in cat...not car. isn't that wrong???!!!!!
    and still Tony...i din't asked you which diolact u follow, i asked you how would u say the follwing words.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5362.msg72241#msg72241 date=1181432391]
    [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72239#msg72239 date=1181429014]
    I follow the rules of greco-bohairic. HCOC is my reference.

here is a sample of HCOC recording, "The Rite and Hymns of the Annual Sunday Vespers Praise":
    Alleluia of the Vespers Praise: Alle-el-3asr

they say alleluia, A is in cat...not car. isn't that wrong???!!!!!
    and still Tony...i din't asked you which diolact u follow, i asked you how would u say the follwing words.

Well, its a start, unlike what everyone else is doing!!! They are atleast trying to correct the pronounciation. This was their second project and they are still trying to improve and get rid of the extra letters inbetween words that people always insert that are not there.  They are not perfect obviously, but they are trying to be as accurate as possible and i commend them for that mina.

Tony
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72244#msg72244 date=1181435970]
    Well, its a start, unlike what everyone else is doing!!! They are atleast trying to correct the pronounciation. This was their second project and they are still trying to improve and get rid of the extra letters inbetween words that people always insert that are not there.  They are not perfect obviously, but they are trying to be as accurate as possible and i commend them for that mina.

ok.....my personall opinion is that what we have and what recieved is those ways. i don't see anything wrong with either ways. but the problem is that sometimes u'll forget to pray while ur praying. ur project is not the first Tony. Anba Rafael is had already started recording rites in those ways through his cantor Zaher.
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=5362.msg72248#msg72248 date=1181436863]
    [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72244#msg72244 date=1181435970]

ok.....my personall opinion is that what we have and what recieved is those ways. i don't see anything wrong with either ways. but the problem is that sometimes u'll forget to pray while ur praying. ur project is not the first Tony. Anba Rafael is had already started recording rites in those ways through his cantor Zaher.

If we follow what we teach and actually use it in our churches, we will get used to it as being the original way. That way we wont forget, but if we do recordings just for the sake of recordings, it wont get us anywhere. who is cantor zaher anyway?
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72249#msg72249 date=1181437271]
    If we follow what we teach and actually use it in our churches, we will get used to it as being the original way. That way we wont forget, but if we do recordings just for the sake of recordings, it wont get us anywhere. who is cantor zaher anyway?

cantor Zeher is semi-famous cantor who records new tapes using the new ways ur talking about under the guidance of HGB Rafael and his alhan conventions every year. u can find his hymns on alhan.youthbishopric.com
  • how do i get the right downloadable font? the whole site looks like gibberish!
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72253#msg72253 date=1181440157]
    how do i get the right downloadable font? the whole site looks like gibberish!

well the site is mostly arabic. so just R-click and change the encoding to Arabic Windows so u can atleast see the few english words.