alel orban

2»

Comments

• Dear minagir,
    Please clear this for me: is cantor Zaher used to saying "a" as in cat rather than car?
    For the point of this discussion I have my own personal opinion. I think what has been taught in the HCOC (if that refers to el kolleya el eklerekeya) is wrong. Simply, because Mr. Erian Guirguis applied the modern Greek language rules to the Coptic and the old Greek that we use in church. It has got nothing to do with Bohairic and Sahidic as some people try to find compromises. This is only my personal opinion, supported by old recordings of HICS, and writings of Fr. Shenouda Maher. I would really be let down if I know that Anba Raphael is not convinced with this, or at least uses cantor Zaher in a different way.
    God bless you all and mention me in your prayers
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=5362.msg72351#msg72351 date=1181562949]
    Dear minagir,
    Please clear this for me: is cantor Zaher used to saying "a" as in cat rather than car?
    For the point of this discussion I have my own personal opinion. I think what has been taught in the HCOC (if that refers to el kolleya el eklerekeya) is wrong. Simply, because Mr. Erian Guirguis applied the modern Greek language rules to the Coptic and the old Greek that we use in church. It has got nothing to do with Bohairic and Sahidic as some people try to find compromises. This is only my personal opinion, supported by old recordings of HICS, and writings of Fr. Shenouda Maher. I would really be let down if I know that Anba Raphael is not convinced with this, or at least uses cantor Zaher in a different way.
    God bless you all and mention me in your prayers

cantor Zaher mostly uses a as in car. i agree with u in a way. but am not sure if it's backed up by Fr. Shenouda thoo. becasue he uses the old coptic. the original way before it was modernized during Pope Cyril IV or V.
  • The greek and coptic coincide together in some cases, yet are not the same when it comes to actual pronounciation. Plus, A as in car sounds better and not soo fobby, but thats just my opinion. The HCOC also do not just pick words they think should sound different.....they actually have a committee take a look at it and i think these people know more than any of us when it comes to this sort of thing.
  • [quote author=Amoussa01 link=topic=5362.msg72384#msg72384 date=1181584528]
    The greek and coptic coincide together in some cases, yet are not the same when it comes to actual pronounciation. Plus, A as in car sounds better and not soo fobby, but thats just my opinion.

i don't think u should disregard a letter's way of saying becasue it sounds "foby"

The HCOC also do not just pick words they think should sound different.....they actually have a committee take a look at it and i think these people know more than any of us when it comes to this sort of thing.

can u please provide more info about that committee......
  • Dear minagir,
    There is no old Coptic and modern Coptic. Coptic was not modernised under Pope Cyril IV. Rather the application of modern Greek grammar rules on the Coptic language, and the "old" Greek language is what made this language chaos within our beloved Coptic church.
    God bless you and mention me in your prayers