Is wearing makeup "sinful"?

I am a little bit confused to this, I do understand that a lot of makeup and trying to hide who you are is sinful, but I just have a question with regards to taking care of yourself, etc.

I do not wear makeup the majority of the time, but I do like to "dress up" for occasions, etc. Would this be considered sinful? I do not wear heavy makeup, just to accentuate certain features. I would not consider myself to be hiding behind it, but rather defining the beautiful things that God has given me.

Comments

• Makeup is not sinful, and taking care of yourself definitly isn't either...
    Your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and it is a gift you received from God, so you should definitly take care of it.
    Many things are ok as long as they're done with moderation, so is make up, just keep in modest and tasteful...
    The important thing is not to have your appearance be a source of pride to you instead of the cross of our Lord, neither to let it be your focus and attention instead of God.

God bless you
    Please pray for me
  • I remember reading a verse about this somewhere... I can't remember...
  • If u r only doing it for attentio [I noe ur not]  lol. Then its wrong.  Other than that tho u can take care of urself.  I once asked ubouna this and he said ur a girl ur supposed to dress up and stuff.  Just dnt do it for attention.    Hope I helped

+mahraeel+
  • it says in the bible in Matthew ....."Do not worry about your life, wat u will eat or what u will drink, nor about your body wat u will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? " Then it compared us to birds and it says that our heavenly father feeds them and it asks us if were are not of more importance than they are.
  • Here is what more people think about this issue:

http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?topic=830.0

• tHE scriptures tell us to make ourselfs bueatful inwardly by our virtious conduct and not to adorn ourselfs outwardly with such thing as make up an jewlaries which is to promote modesty
  • I agree to what most of you said – it all depends on the person’s personal judgment.  But the question should be more than what is wrong and what is right in a given situation. The question should be more than whether to wear a make-up or not.
    The Bible tells us: “You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is good for you. You say, “I am allowed to do anything”—but not everything is beneficial.” 1 Corinthians 10:23. Even those things which are not banned by a law might not necessarily be beneficial for us. So how should we decide whether something is beneficial for us or not? The answer is we shouldn’t. We should not be concerned whether something is beneficial for us but whether something is beneficial for others. In the same passage the Bible tells us “Don’t be concerned for your own good but for the good of others.”  1 Corinthians 10:24.
    We have a great freedom as Christians. We are no more under the law. But are we to enjoy this freedom just for ourselves. St. Paul was very careful with the way he used his freedom. He used to take great care that other might not be offended by his freedom, “Don’t give offense to Jews or Gentiles[f] or the church of God. I, too, try to please everyone in everything I do. I don’t just do what is best for me; I do what is best for others so that many may be saved.” 1 Corinthians 10:32, 33.
    So, the question should how would the fact that one wares make-ups affect others. Would others consider you as worldly as others who wear make up for the wrong intention that even when you try to tell them the right message, the message of salvation that they won’t listen to you? 
    Let us not do things just because we want to. Let us do things that will benefit others. Let us use our freedom wisely. And let us pray that the same God who gives us freedom may also give us the wisdom as to how to use it.
    “But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.” Galatians 5:1, 13
    “Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.”I Peter 2:16
    P.S Please read 1 Corinthians 10:23-33 (and if you can the whole passage) it is really helpful as to how to use our freedom. Forgive me if I sound very judgmental and imply that make-up is sinful.

Yours in Christ
    Theophilus
  • i agree with some and disagree with otherss

its is not wronq at all.  You live in this worl, you have to do thinqs in this world.  obviously, if for instance you spend like three hrs each day in the mirror and in church u apply makeup..that is wrong.  but to say that it is wrong completely, nope.  i know so many great people hoo put makeup on. 

+mahraeel+
  • Hello,

I'm just curious - from where did you hear it as being a sin?

for somepeople - playing on computer games is not a sin. For some, it is a sin. The difference is that one is addicted and the other isn't. So, with everything, it all depends on what is in your heart??

God cares for the condition of your heart.

• And He said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your heart. For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God." Luke 16:15

• A guy I used to know who was a deacon told me it was a sin so I wanted to make sure :)
  • I would rather trust your Abouna's opinion and advice based on his knowledge of your own situation and heart.

And on the other hand it is sinful for a person to judge a girl or woman who is wearing make-up. How can we know that girl or woman's heart. We become like the Pharisees. "Lord, I thank you that I do not wear make-up like that girl over there."

Personally, us UK people are pale skinned and look ill half the time. A little bit of make up seems to me to be no different to dressing with a little care. I don't like a woman to have an inch of make up plastered on (as if my opinion matters!).

Peter
  • Make-up is not sinful, but judgement is.
    I was one of those girls who hardly ever wore make-up, and to some extent judged those who did. Now due to a recent incident, which has resulted in some skin imperfections, I wear make up almost every day. I gain no particular enjoyment from wearing make up, but do so in order to reduce my focus on the imperfections so I can get on with everything else I need to do.
    While God does focus on our hearts, and above all values the beauty of our spirits.. he is also merciful and understands our human concerns.

Please pray for me.

• Taking care of yourself is not sinful, although if it becomes the only thing you think of, it may be. But as long as you know inside you that your heart is what really matters, then everything is alright. God wants you to take care of yourself! Ive heard that since our bodies are just a "loaner" until heaven, we must take care of them, since we are going to "give them back" in a way.
  •   +++

Hello friends,

Make up has nothing to do with taking care of ur body. Make up is not like washing ur face. God has given us the right kind of beauty to each of us. Our inner peace and love should be our make up to glow our face with the grace of God. Our skin is by itself is the makeup God has put on us. We are like putting dust on the greatest paint of God. If we do not like our face without the makeup may be we are not mature enough both in spirit and mind to know that we are beautiful. The problem is we see so much movies and magazines who turn humans into dolls for display. The next minute we see our face in the mirror we want to be another doll. We are more complex and priceless than to be described by how we look, talk and walk. We are more like an everlasting, imortal spirits carrying a body each designed as inteneded by our designer. It is shame trying to correct God. It is even so foolish to comment on His perfect work. Our every move in adding anything to what God has given us already is justing pushing it away from perfection to some imaginary, feeble attempt. Who puts dust on diamonds or mud on gold to beautify it? 

May God give us the true sense of Christian beauty so that we may feel our worth as we are. The intercession of St. Mary help us and her inner beauty be a model for the Christian women. The Holy angels may guide us and give us heavenly beauty to despise this temporal, untrue so called beauty. The prayers of all saints especially matryrs who has given their flesh to fire, who throw their bodies for the love of God to the den of lions whisper in our ears that our bodies are for the glory of God. 

• ive read half the posts so my apologies if im re-iterating some1s point...but in regards to the topic...make up per se is not a sin, if it takes y away from christ then obviously its wrong ie. if u spend more time in the morning doing ur make up rather than praying....further i read a book which stated that women reallii shudnt be wearing make up when they go have communion but i havent seen ne priest apply that concept

• [quote author=kerestina link=topic=7484.msg99924#msg99924 date=1233566418]
    ive read half the posts so my apologies if im re-iterating some1s point...but in regards to the topic...make up per se is not a sin, if it takes y away from christ then obviously its wrong ie. if u spend more time in the morning doing ur make up rather than praying....further i read a book which stated that women reallii shudnt be wearing make up when they go have communion but i havent seen ne priest apply that concept

my mum's friend told my mum that when she was in egypt, a priest would not allow the lady with makeup to have Holy Communion..also H.H. Pope Shenouda said something about it but i forgot...enshalla i'll post it in a couple of days..if i find it..
  • Actually, HH is pretty laid back about this topic/female wear in general.
    I was once listening to him taking questions, and someone stated more than asked, that girls were dressing improperly and putting on too much makeup, and his answer was (and I'm paraphrasing):

"What's wrong with our girls, I don't see anything wrong with them, let's focus on ourselves first, before we focus on others"

I do know however, that makeup (as probably stated before) shouldn't be worn to Masses/Prayer meetings/Church in general because the point of being there is to impress God with your heart, not man with your looks.  And like it was said, many women are turned away from recieving the Holy Sacrament because of this.
  • if you wear makeup you burn in hell!!! true fact all the fathers said that, and all the saints said that... they all left being martyred... and left the church during communion because during the liturgy they wouldn't sit with girls that wear make up... because they're saints and these girls would after all burn in hell! actually that's how the monastic movement started... saint Antony saw a woman with makeup, and was like "ewww, what a harlot" and left the church and never went back...

notice how many of the protesters are guys... we have the "everything has to do with sex" syndrome! but barely anyone anymore has the "worry about yourself" syndrome! especially GUYS!!!

how do you notice if a girl has so much makeup... do you go to church and look to your right the whole liturgy? or do you go and keep looking in front of you, and focus on what you came for?!

and in school... are you going to tell every girl you meet, do not put make up... or you'll look like a harlot?! if you cant do it in school, what makes the girls in the church any different? (because their my sisters?!) many would actually respond... well next time you come to wear a shirt, make sure you wear the worst... when you comb your hair... don't you dare!!! we'll be equal... if you don't want your "sisters" to fit in the community, neither should you!

that's only fair!

the community today asks the girl to put makeup on... if she chooses to its totally up to her... just as if you choose to put gel or not!

For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting,

even though this verse is about fasting... but you can also see how Jesus said anoint your head (gel in that time) and there are many other verses where we see the bible is telling look good!

again there are people who chose to look bad, but that's another topic... and we can talk about it if people want to!

so if the girl wants to wear makeup, she can wear makeup to the extent of looking like a clown... and you should train yourself not to notice that, and overlook it! focus on your goal... and then worry about others, if they invite you to!

akhadna el baraka... neshkor Allah!
  • nice point, superman(bam)!
    i think the query about communion is that you're not supposed to wear lipstick if you take communion, something about 'eating' the lipstick (some of it will come away when you swallow) together with the precious body and blood of our Lord.
    in practice, i know a lot of women who wear the expensive type of lipstick that doesn't come off when you rub it, it sort of stains the lips rather than coating them.
    as for me, i've always preferred the extra 15 minutes of sleep to putting on makeup  ;)
    although i do put some for holy pascha. (i put the lipstick on after mass!)
  • i did not really read through all the posts. but i  will say one thing
    MAKEUP IS NOT SINFUL AT ALL.
    You may see tasonys ( ubounas wifes ) or other simple women in church who do not put makeup on and dress in style and fashion. This does not mean it is wrong. they just dont find a need to occup their minds with the way they look rather just God. I was talking to my FOC and i asked him is it okay for me to take care of my apppearance? ( as in do my hair and makeup and nail etc etc..) He said that is fine. You are a girl you are supposed to do that.  But keep in mind that you also have to remmeber God. I have seen so many people who put makeup on and tehy are the most religious people ever. just because you see someone who looks very classy and stylish, doesnt mean they are away from God. its time for people to stop judging. So to answer ur question makeup isnt sinful so you are safe =)
    thanks,
    mahraeel
  • [quote author=changethechannel link=topic=7484.msg98733#msg98733 date=1230058240]
    I am a little bit confused to this, I do understand that a lot of makeup and trying to hide who you are is sinful, but I just have a question with regards to taking care of yourself, etc.

you have completely misused the word sinful here. why all the fuss? do you have a shower? why do you do it? is that 'sinful' too? you're just trying to look presentable, you're not seducing someone here are you?
    dont worry about these things cos there is nothing to worry about, there are far more important things in your life. where is your future going? and how's your spiritual path? things like that