Simple Coptic

edited December 1969 in Random Issues
Hey Everyone!

Can those more knowledgeable in the Coptic Language, give me the correct translation of "Praise Him". I know that it would be some form of Hoc Erof, but I've heard that there aren't any capital letters in coptic. Also is it in the correct tense and grammar? Thanks in advance and God bless.

Comments

• [quote author=Tishori link=topic=7577.msg99498#msg99498 date=1232412376]
    Hey Everyone!

Can those more knowledgeable in the Coptic Language, give me the correct translation of "Praise Him". I know that it would be some form of Hoc Erof, but I've heard that there aren't any capital letters in coptic. Also is it in the correct tense and grammar? Thanks in advance and God bless.

i am not that knowledgeable, but let me try to answer....Fady should be answering soon :D

i think that is the right word. [coptic]Hwc `erof.[/coptic] about the capitalization. it is true that there is no capitals in coptic. but i think with bring coptic to be soo "Greek," capitalization started. i personally what i do is capitalize in Coptic as the words are in english. i have seen that in many katameroses and old books, even though that is not to contestant but i think it's fine, knowing that it was hard for them to print these books, in the old fashion way. also i have seen Fady do that....
  • Heyy this is for anybody who can help,
    How would you say "dare with boldness" in coptic? Not "we may dare with boldness" like in the liturgy, but just "dare with boldness". I understand that "we may dare with boldness" goes along the lines of enertolman khen orthopariia, or something like that....is there a shorter way of saying that, even after the "we may" part is taken out...because i am trying to get that phrase fitted for a tatoo but it seems too long to fit on a wrist.

Thanks, and God Bless

btw, tishouri, this is your best friend, Rudy
  • answer tishouri's questions before mine haha i didnt realize his issue wasnt resolved yet.

thankes much
  • unless its a simple cross on your wrist, I don't think the Coptic church is for tattos... Your body is a temple of the holy spirit.
  • it is a simple coptic cross with that phrase under it
    i do not plan to defile my body with any other form of tatoos...this one is to remind me of my role to be bold for Christ.

anyway....can anybody help me?
  • I have reason to beleive that praise him.. in coptic is 'esmo erof'
  • Esmo literally means bless, but in the context of say psalm 150 it means praise. But hos erof is for sure praise him.
  • the priest of our neighbouring church has a coptic phrase tatooed on his wrist and he is a monk.
    one of our deacons has a massive tatoo of Jesus' face and chest during crucifixion on his right shoulder (he said it was very painful to have done, a bit like the crucifixion). he gets comments about it at work in the men's changing room, and nobody ever swears when he is getting changed!
    so i think if you have a tatoo for the right reason it should not be forbidden.
    i, personally don't fancy the pain!
    ;)
  • [quote author=mabsoota link=topic=7577.msg99755#msg99755 date=1232943001]
    the priest of our neighbouring church has a coptic phrase tatooed on his wrist and he is a monk.
    one of our deacons has a massive tatoo of Jesus' face and chest during crucifixion on his right shoulder (he said it was very painful to have done, a bit like the crucifixion). he gets comments about it at work in the men's changing room, and nobody ever swears when he is getting changed!
    so i think if you have a tatoo for the right reason it should not be forbidden.
    i, personally don't fancy the pain!
    ;)

look....we all have argued about that BEFORE. go find the posts......i will keep my opinion for myself since you'll find it on those older posts...
  • i just want help with my little dilemna, jeez, if u think they're wrong...fine, but that is not what I asked...look at my first post for this topic and try and help me please...anyone?
  • The way to say "be bold" in the liturgy is [coptic]ertolman qen ouparrycia[/coptic] (ertolman khen ouparricia) which literally means "to act with boldness".  This is btw the infinitive form of the verb, without the 'we' part or anything like that.  However, you want something shorter and more compact.  I suggest you use the word [coptic]jwri[/coptic] (jori). 
    This word technically means 'strong' but can also mean 'bold'.  Depending on what exactly you want to say here are a few variations:

to be bold: [coptic]jwri[/coptic]
    boldness: [coptic]]metjwri[/coptic]
  • [coptic]Namenra] tyrou>
    paimoust vai ounast pe `ntacaji qen ]metrem`n<ymi qen `ptyrf[/coptic]
    This topic is difficult for me to speak in the Coptic language in all of it
    [coptic]]soury>[/coptic]
    Because talking to you will involve many technical terms, forgive me if I won't be able to speak any Coptic in it other than what you want to know.
    [coptic]hwc erof [/coptic]simply means as you said "praise him" -[coptic] `cmou erof [/coptic]can mean the same, but [coptic]hwc [/coptic]would be more expressive ([coptic]hwc [/coptic]= praise; sing - [coptic]`cmou [/coptic]= give blessing (bless); and as [coptic]jidiakwn [/coptic]pointed out can also mean praise).
    [coptic](hwc) ounouni `nte picaji pe @ [/coptic]is the root of the word and so it is also an imperative form - in the noun form it is ([coptic]ouhwc@ [/coptic]a praise; [coptic]pihwc@ [/coptic]the praise) [coptic]`e [/coptic]means to - so [coptic]`erof [/coptic]means to him - so in a nutshell [coptic]hwc erof [/coptic]means sing to him, or praise (to) him.
    Yes, like Mina said, there were no capital letters in Coptic, and even the letters did not use to look like we know them now (off the top of my head the [coptic]H [/coptic]used to be much larger than the H in English, and probably twice as large as other Coptic letters, and[coptic] ] [/coptic]as well). However, with the start of printing documents coinciding with the time of Grecising the Coptic language the usage of capital letters, punctuation marks, and paragraphs started. You will laugh if you know that before then there were no spaces between the words even!!!!
    [coptic]jamoul`nteKen;aki pamenrit>
    Akerhytc `ntameu`i qa vuetakcaji. `n]emi an vyeta Myna er`vmeu`i erof alla ta`chimi acmeu`i nemyi ouoh tenmeu`i je pi`ctauroc ejen pianom `foni `nou`cqe`nanom ouoh ourasi `c]ma] nem vai[/coptic]
    Kentucky camel my dear,
    You started me thinking about what you said. I don't know what Mina referred to but my wife thought with me and we consider that a cross on the skin is similar to a tattoo and mabsoota agrees with that
    [coptic]Kejac> `n]]ma] nem vyeta ar,idiakwn caji[/coptic]
    Anyway, I don't agree with what archdeacon said
    [coptic](parryci`a) picaji an pe ete `kkw] `nca[/coptic]
    "[coptic]parryci`a[/coptic]" is not the word that you are looking for - it means "announcement" rather than boldness
    [coptic]]nacaji ou`cpody pe picaji[/coptic]
    I will say [coptic]ou`cpody [/coptic]is the word - it means zeal and enthusiasm
    [coptic](ertolman) an pe ounouni `nte picaji - vai ouryma pe[/coptic]
    "[coptic]ertolman[/coptic]" is not a root of the word - it is a verb (infinitive and not in imperative form)
    [coptic]e;be vai ]nacaji nicaji ete `kkw] `ncwou ne (aritolman qen ou`cpody) ie (aritolman qen oumetjwri)[/coptic]
    Therefore I would say the words you are looking for are "[coptic]aritolman qen ou`cpody[/coptic]" (= dare with enthusiasm) or "[coptic]aritolman qen oumetjwri[/coptic]" (= dare with power) "[coptic]jwri[/coptic]" is a verb, but "[coptic]metjwri[/coptic]" is a noun
    [coptic]ari`hmot ajoc nyi vuet `kmeu`i[/coptic]
    Please tell me what you think
    [coptic]oujai qen `P=[=c[/coptic]
  • the verse that have the word in that i think many are refering to is:

Ga 6:14
    But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

[coptic]Galatyc Kev =@=i=d -=s=b=l
    `Anok de `nnecswpi nyi `ntasousou `mmoi `ebyl qen pi`ctauroc `nte pen=o=c I=y=c P=,=c@ vai `ete `ebolhitotf au`isi `mpikocmoc nyi...[/coptic]

the word that is literally translated from the Coptic is more like "take pride", [coptic]sousou[/coptic].....in to replace that in english, "boast" is better.
  • [coptic]Myna>
    ]rasi je `mpekhi`pho oube ]`cqe`nanom alla ]tajryout an pe `csanswpi `n;wleb `mpiervei `nte `V][/coptic]
    I am glad that you didn't object to the tattoo but I am not sure if it is like defiling God's temple
    [coptic]kata penkw] `ntyi nem ta`chimi `coni `mpi`ctauroc ejen oujij[/coptic]
    According to our debate of mine and my wife's it is similar to a cross on a hand
  • [quote author=ophadece link=topic=7577.msg99766#msg99766 date=1232996304]
    [coptic]Myna>
    ]rasi je `mpekhi`pho oube ]`cqe`nanom alla ]tajryout an pe `csanswpi `n;wleb `mpiervei `nte `V][/coptic]
    I am glad that you didn't object to the tattoo but I am not sure if it is like defiling God's temple
    [coptic]kata penkw] `ntyi nem ta`chimi `coni `mpi`ctauroc ejen oujij[/coptic]
    According to our debate of mine and my wife's it is similar to a cross on a hand

well that small cross i would not call a "tattoo" in the exact meaning, rather just a sign of our faith because it was that way at some point of time....but anything else huge we keda, you know what i am talking about, i am against.
  • [coptic]]]ma] nemak qen oujwk ouoh ]meu`i je jamoul`nteKen;aki naer `hli `nkouji ete e;be ououwnh ebol an pe[/coptic]
    I agree with you completely and I think that Kentuckycamel will do something small that is not for showing off
  • thank you so much for the really educated posts and yes it is the typical small coptic cross with a simple phrase that helps me continue my role for Christ on this earth.
    As for the phrase itself, thanks for helping me...do you know if there is a shorter way of saying that phrase? i am in love with that phrase because it really defines what our role is as christians in an unchristian environment. the problem is i want this to be as small as possible but the phrase is big...is there other ways of saying dare and boldness/enthusiasm in coptic that are shorter? or words that encompass the meaning of that phrase without the long words? thank you so so much. You've been a great help, even if you cant help any further.

David
  • [coptic][coptic]Dauid pamenrit>
    aksancaji [/coptic](act strongly)[coptic] ceermenyuin (mosi `njom) - alla eswp vai ouhou`o `nswt pe ajoc nyi[/coptic][/coptic]
    If you want to say "act strongly" translates to "[coptic]mosi `njom[/coptic]" - but if that is too short tell me
    [coptic]ari`hmot ari`vmeu`i je ]mounk paijincaji vai e;be `mmon ouon caji `n]metrem`n<ymi hina `ntouemi qen oujwk ete `cse `ncecaji[/coptic]
    Please remember that I am making up that phrase because no one speaks Coptic so that they know exactly what should be said
    [coptic]aryou oury] ouhou`o `mmyi naswpi (mosi qen oujom) [/coptic]
    Perhaps a more correct way would be "act with strength"
    [coptic]kejac ari`hmot tamoi vuet `kmeu`i[/coptic]
    Anyway please tell what you think
  • thank you so much for your help :)
    those phrases that you just suggested work perfectly, thanks

David