Fasting

edited December 1969 in Youth Corner
Heey Brothers and sisters in Christ.

I have some Questions:

Since which age should Kids/Youth,fast?
And how long should a 8 year Old fast before The holy Comunnion?
And something else:
How can Parents make the Holy Mass intresting for Kids?(Over 7)
What do you think about "Fight"in the church in the Community..?

thanks for reading!!

Please pray for my weakness.

Wish you a Happy baramos/Baptism(Hope i spelled it right)

Comments

• [quote author=Vany2010 link=topic=7569.msg99433#msg99433 date=1232287827]
    Since which age should Kids/Youth,fast?

no specific age. they all supposed to fast. every single one according to the guidance of their father of confession/parents.

And how long should a 8 year Old fast before The holy Comunnion?

well the rule is always 9 hours...but most priest set an exception for kids younger than 9 years old to fast according to their age. like 5 yrs old would fast 5 hours...etc

well....personally i don't think that they will FULLY make them interesting enough. you have to consider that they are still kids....they learn much becuase their minds is not set up for that yet. YES i know their mind are for learning at younger ages, but i have to say that most people don't know how to rightly deal with that; meaning that they either teach them to much that when kids get older church would become just another life, or not teach them at all and that is trouble.

the best that i can say that would be good for them for the future is just teach them how to pay attention and respect the church. latter bring them to services, boys get them in deaconship, alhan, bible study....KEEP THEM IN CHURCH after them learn how to respect it.

What do you think about "Fight"in the church in the Community..?

that's the devil's ideas in church....enough said.
  • in church it's great if someone has a separate chat with the young kids during the sermon and lets them run around a bit away from other people. then they can come back ready to pay attention during communion. also kids learn loads by serving. anyone who is not a deacon can sing in the choir (start one) and give out the envelopes for the money collection or give out and collect the little handkerchiefs for communion or the service books.
    also before mass you can ask the children to try to count during how many 'kirie eleison's there are or 'our father's and to tell you after mass. you can give them a picture of a Bible story to colour in or prepare a short verse from the day's readings to memorise by the end of mass.
    you can teach them 1 or 2 of the songs or responses at home so they can join in when these come up.
    it's also important for children to have sunday school, either after mass or on another day, and show to them that the Bible has all the answers about how to deal with bullying at school, irritating little sisters etc.
    if the children are older, or teenagers, you can encourage them to read the gospel passage while abouna is preaching and ask them to find a question for abouna or to think what else could they learn from this Bible passage.
    and most of all you can applaud them for what they achieve ('you sat still for 1/2 hour, well done' not 'why can you only sit still an hour?'!) and listen to and answer all their questions.
    oh, and be a good example, too many adults mutter and gosip during church! maybe they should colour in Bible stories instead, meditating on what they can learn in their own lives from that story  ;)
  • hey minagir
    Thaaank you for your great post.

hey mabsoota

Woow this is sooo nice!!
    I really love the ideas:)
    Thanks for answering

• My parents taught me to fast before communion since i was 2 or 3 years old. So basically, ever since i can remember, i fasted before communion since 12 A.M.. Fasting in regards to lent and advent, i started to fully fast at age 5. Fasting without food though until a certain time of the day though is not usually practiced until 13 or 14. I like the fact that my parents got me used to this though when i young because it would have been too hard adjusting to fasting and stuff like that even at age 10 or so.

PK
  • [quote author=minagir link=topic=7569.msg99435#msg99435 date=1232296752]

well....personally i don't think that they will FULLY make them interesting enough. you have to consider that they are still kids....they learn much becuase their minds is not set up for that yet. YES i know their mind are for learning at younger ages, but i have to say that most people don't know how to rightly deal with that; meaning that they either teach them to much that when kids get older church would become just another life, or not teach them at all and that is trouble.

Hey Mina, I don't exactly understand what you mean by this, could you clarify?
  • [quote author=Godislove260 link=topic=7569.msg99537#msg99537 date=1232477115]
    [quote author=minagir link=topic=7569.msg99435#msg99435 date=1232296752]

Hey Mina, I don't exactly understand what you mean by this, could you clarify?

ok....any specifics exactly?
    mainly i meant that there are not much ways that you can make the liturgy "interesting" without distracting the liturgy.
  • [quote author=Vany2010 link=topic=7569.msg99433#msg99433 date=1232287827]

There is a picture liturgy book, I believe it is available on orthodoxbookstore.org, it might help.