The true religion

edited January 2009 in Faith Issues
How do we know that Christianity is the true religion...
http://www.suscopts.org/pdf/youth/whymusttherebeonetruereligion.pdf

"If they did not believe in the resurrection, they would
have known that what they were preaching was a
lie. Do you know anyone who would knowingly die
for a lie?" -A part of the power point from the above link from suscopts.org

So what about Muslims their religion is a lie they are willingly dying for a lie

Comments

• Firstly, the Muslims think their religion is true, thus for them, they are not dying for a lie

Secondly, in the events we have been seeing lately concerning muslims dying 'for islam', there is more politics to it than religion

+ the quote you put up is to discard the people who say that the disciples lied about Christ's resurrection, for they were the ones who died defending their faith in Him as the living God and so it just means that for those disciples it would have been foolish to die for something they knew wasn't true
  • so then these muslims who think their religion is true and they see miracles and know Jesus Christ why don't they believe...like everyone in the world believes that their own religion is true and the others are wrong
  • Some people are stubborn and don't want to see the light even when it's shining right in their eyes (and this goes to many muslims and non-muslims)
    and also remember that Jesus is a prophet in Islam called 3isa, they also believe He was begotten of the Virgin St Mary and that He is the Word of God..
  • [quote author=Lostsinner link=topic=7550.msg99258#msg99258 date=1231882581]
    How do we know that Christianity is the true religion...
    http://www.suscopts.org/pdf/youth/whymusttherebeonetruereligion.pdf

"If they did not believe in the resurrection, they would
    have known that what they were preaching was a
    lie. Do you know anyone who would knowingly die
    for a lie?" -A part of the power point from the above link from suscopts.org

So what about Muslims their religion is a lie they are willingly dying for a lie

This quote, or logic, is quite potent, because they were Christ's contemporaries (there is very little debate), and thus all professing to be witnesses to the event, that they preached and died is strong evidence of the claim's veracity.This is different to those who died later on, on account of their witness, because if they died for their doctrine they either: (a) all had delusions (deux a folie), seen in schizophrenia (with 500+ witnesses, this is absurd) and (b) they lied for gain (this is difficult to maintain), (c) had mistaken the evidence (we know from reading their writings, that this could not have occurred).

The Muslims, however, who die for their faith, die not because they were first-hand witnesses, but their certainty in their inherited doctrine.
  • We Know and believe it is the only true way of God because Jesus said,"I am the truth, way and the life.  No one come to the father but by me". If you did your sdudies and research from the birth to the entry to Egypt through all the history of Christianity you would not asked that Question neither have doubted like St Thomas did. Many great King and Emporores tried to kill it but it withstanded them, neither could time kill it, but only became mightier; Not even torture nor killings but only confirmed it with great miracles. Study the prophecies of all the prophets concering the Messiah. Pray and fast to God to reveal to you how sweet and true it really is. Two third of the world is Christian, and from all the nations of the world, weather big there is Christians< and by the way, there will always be> Christanity and all its believers will be the only thing standing, the rest will perish for ever, and that is prophecy not from me but from the great and awesome Lord JESUS CHRIST THE SON OF GOD THE MESSIAH THE ONLY HOPE AND REDEEMER OF MANKIND. GOD BLESS ALL BELIEVERS AND MAKE THE REST BELIEVE IN HIM. PRAY FOR ME!
  • [quote author=Slave link=topic=7550.msg99381#msg99381 date=1232163159]
    If you did your sdudies and research from the birth to the entry to Egypt through all the history of Christianity you would not asked that Question neither have doubted like St Thomas did.

How can you accuse me of having doubt you don't even know who I am
  • I think that there are things which can give a person confidence in the historical roots of our faith, such as a study of the references to Jesus Christ outside the Scriptures, and the very development of the Church in the first and second generations. And the study of the development of the Bible and the very great amount of ancient Biblical texts compared to the relatively sparse amount of documentation supporting the existence of other historical figures.

There are good reasons for considering Christianity to be a reasonable choice. We are not called to a blind faith as if that required us to deny reason.

But in the end I am a Christian because I have met Christ, and my trust is in him and not primarily in a religious system, although secondarily I am convinced that our Orthodox Church is the community which Christ established and in which he renews our broken humanity, bringing us into communion with God. When I am disappointed by Church politics or am frustrated by our Church and the wider Christian communion, I remember that my faith is in Christ, and having met him and being known by him, I believe that he is indeed the way, the truth and the life.

We may show that our Christian religion is reasonable, but a seeker must find Christ and be found by him for it to have any meaning. Otherwise he may as well stay in bed on Sunday morning. Christianity without Christ is no life at all.

In Christ

Peter
  • Actually, I do not find Christianity very reasonable at all. It has this sort of wisdom that outshines any preconceived wisdom of man. It is far-fetched that Christians do not simply follow rules, but must look squarely at the heart. It is a way of life that looks more at behaviour, and rather looks at motives, thoughts and intentions. Facades are toxic. It is simply odd that we have a God that has shown us love before our sins; and it is at this realisation that we begin to be worthy. It is inconceivable that we have a Trinitarian God and doctrines that remain a Mystery, yet are best understood as wholesome when they are simply beheld. This religion embraces pain and suffering as necessary for our perfection; and promises that to her followers. In fact, it says love has a suffering quality- which is just so obnoxious to us. It is a religion that says, you are not strong, so "if your eyes causes you to sin, pluck it out". It is a religion that begins with humility. The Scriptures are not a "fax from heaven, written in one tongue", but a myriad of sorts of literature, where the truth comes not from interpretation, but meditation and a pure heart- a repentance to accept God's word, rather than reason into its meaning.  It is not reasonable- no one can reason Christianity.
  • The martyrdom of Christ’s followers is single evidence among many. There is an overwhelming amount of evidence for the birth, death, and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ which by default will prove Christianity. But as St. John said “Jesus also did many other things. If they were all written down, I suppose the whole world could not contain the books that would be written.” John 21:25
    In saying so I am not trying to avoid your question but share a book that shades some light on this topic. The author, Lee Strobel, is an ex-atheist who worked as an investigative reporter for the Chicago Tribune. He uses to cover a column on court cases for the newspaper. It was based on his court experience that he decided to investigate Christ’s case as it would be presented in modern-day court. He based his investigation on circumstantial, historical, archeological, etc evidences. At the end of his quest he end up being converted and writing a book titled “The Case for Christ”. I remember this line from the end of the book “To be a Christian it takes a lot of faith, but with all this evidence it would even take more faith to be an atheist”.
    I would highly recommend The Case for Christ as it is a very analytical and critical piece not as some may say ‘of blind faith’.
    In Christ
    Theopilus       
  • I don't disagree with the points you made Clay, but I do think that the reality of a person called Jesus, the wealth of material supporting the early production of the New Testament, and the fact that the members of the generation that knew Jesus were willing to stake their lives on their faith are all a sound basis for our own faith.

Christianity is not a collection of mythic traditions but is rooted in the life, death and resurrection of a single man living at a particular time in history.

That has certainly made a difference to me when doubts have been sent as temptations. I remember that Jesus Christ is a real historical figure and I realise that whatever I don't understand about the Christian faith comes secondary to that truth.

In Christ

Peter
  • Slave most if not all the disciples had doubts in Jesus but Jesus helped them believe. I don't believe all doubt is a rejection of Jesus

That doesn't mean I think everyone has to have doubts.. I don't know God's mind.

The most thing the devil wants is for people to think they are alone and hopeless in their situation.

• DEar brother, i did not mean to sound as if i was judging or condemming you for doubting but was eager to strengthen your hope to the salvation of your soul and enheirit the kindom as is promised to all true believers.as is writtin,"but the cowardly, THE UNBELIEVING, the vile, the murders, the sexually immoral, those who pactice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars_ their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfer. this the second death." Rev. 21:8. And also, the last should have been prior, it is written," He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he may son." Rev. 21:7. So, again I ask your forgiveness for bringing an offence to you, but rather, your Question and further comments suggested to me as though you are an unbeliever or one in doubt or just one not sure of the faith's virtues and its meannings. It also seemed to me as if you are on the attack against Christianity, by your futher comments that is.

In regards to mikeforjesus, Yes in part I think you are right, but When St. Thomas doubted that Jesus  actually has bin resurrected, does that not mean he rjected , or yet refused to believe untill he has seen and examined the wounds of the divine Lord . Remmember my brother the reply Jesus gave St. Thomas,"blessed are they that have not seen, and yet believe." My conclusion is that yes doubting might not be directly rejection of Jesus,as we all at one time or another do encounter it, but in my appinion it is a sin, and because of it one can reject not to accept. one last item i would like to highlight was the time when the Lord was walking on water toward the boat and peter wantting to go to the Lord, after having taken a few  stepps sanged because of boubt and may be fear aswell.
    MikeforJesus I want to thank you for the upliftting remark you have made at the end of your reply. it has become most usefull to me. The devil has bin doing exactly that to me, to the point where  I truly believe that I am Hopless and alone; without relizing it is him who is diong it to me. and also, most doubt are generated and orchestated by him and his evil host, and we must daily vow to combat it and him by prayer and encouragging and supportting one another; please pray for me regadding these matters, for now it is tough for me. God bless all believers and the world 
  • May the Lord have mercy on you and strengthen your faith by your daily experience of His presence in your life.

Peter
  • Check out what St. John of Damascus says about Islam and Mohammed:http://www.bombaxo.com/blog/?p=210 . St. John used to live outside the Byzantine Empire and within the Islamic one during the 8th century. Enjoy!