are we allowed to eat everything ?

edited December 1969 in Faith Issues
A friend of mine said that we are allowed to eat anything because god has offered peter everything .she mentioned Acts 10:9-16 and Romans 14:14 .It seemed like a pretty good explanations but i can't bring myself to believe it is meant the way she made it sound .What are we allowed to eat ?So far i go by what our church (ethiopian orthodox ) categorizes clean and unclean .Can someone please explain to me what  God was trying to tell us when he offered peter all the unclean animals .
I have a great deal of respect for people in this forum and i have learnt a great great deal from this site .Thankyou to all of you !
God bless.

Comments

• http://tasbeha.org/content/community/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=7521;boardseen=1

i think ophadece answered your question here when answering the other question
  • [quote author=axum link=topic=7522.msg99043#msg99043 date=1231215318]
    A friend of mine said that we are allowed to eat anything because god has offered peter everything .she mentioned Acts 10:9-16 and Romans 14:14 .It seemed like a pretty good explanations but i can't bring myself to believe it is meant the way she made it sound .What are we allowed to eat ?So far i go by what our church (ethiopian orthodox ) categorizes clean and unclean .Can someone please explain to me what  God was trying to tell us when he offered peter all the unclean animals .
    I have a great deal of respect for people in this forum and i have learnt a great great deal from this site .Thankyou to all of you !
    God bless.

This has to do with the acceptance of the gentiles to Christ. That it was the start of how the gentiles were baptised. I'll write more on this afterwards.
  • [quote author=axum link=topic=7522.msg99043#msg99043 date=1231215318]
    God bless.

Hi axum,
    I am ethiopian orthodox too! I was also wondering about this question?!? It is difficult! I know Ethiopia has an abundance of sheep and cows, so no one even thinks about eating anything else; but we r not in Ethiopia and we do not wish to offend anyone.......still it is very difficult to eat something u have been taught is unclean.
    I'm very sorry I do not remember where I get all my scripture readings from because lots of times I just open up my Bible and read......maybe someone knows this story: A Prophet in the OT was asked by God to cook food with fuel made from human excrement and he was so offended he begged God not to let him make fuel for his fire out of something he felt was so unclean; so God had mercy on him and relented and told him to make the fuel out of cow dung instead. (This made me think of Ethiopia, where people today, even if they are well off use cow dung sometimes to fuel their cooking fires). When I saw people using cow dung as fuel, I thought it was because they were poor and that it was unclean.....then I found that poverty was not the reason people used cow dung as fuel and that burning cow dung purify's and wards off insects.
    Gosh, Gods Ways are sooooo mysterious.......I mean was God testing the OT Prophet when He asked him to make fuel out of human excremant? Where people using cow dung as fuel before this or did cow dung become purifyed after this occurance? Suppose the Prophet had just did as God requested would human excremant have been purifyed? Is that why there is no toilet paper in some countries?
    Oh, I don't want to get off the subject or be gross......all of these things just make me wonder about clean and unclean and what lesson our God is trying to teach us. I mean, what about the Saints who were martyred because they refused to eat pork or food offered to idols??

God Bless You All
  • PLEASE STOP THIS. This has nothing to do about what you can eat and what you cannot eat. Please read the entire book of Acts from chapter 9 onwards. It is a completely different issue. When I get a minute, I'll explain it.
  • [coptic]Elci=ox=z tamenrit>
    Iycouc af`i `ntefjwk ebol `n]dia;yky `napac ouoh `N;of pejaf je @ pe;nase `eqoun `erwf `mpirwmi an petcwf `mmof alla pe;nyou `ebolqen rwf vai petcwf `mpirwmi - palin on ari`vmeu`i `n`sfw `nte Petroc eta V] `ini `mmof ni`qre nyetafmeu`i `n;wleb[/coptic]
    Dear Elsi70x7,
    Jesus came to complete the Old Testament and He said that: What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' - also remember the story of Peter when God presented him with food which he considered unclean
    [coptic]oujai qen `P=[=c[/coptic]
  • Elsi
    I am a little confused
  • Guys, give me a while, I'll be back and I'll explain it. It has nothing to do with food. Eat whatever you want so long as its dead. But as I said this has nothing to do with food being clean or unclean.
  • My friend read in corinthians and romans you will find the teaching of saint paul clear enouph to answer your concern, eat everything with thanks giving and faith and it is allright. it not what goes in the stomach that make people bad, put all the bad thing they say and do because that comes from the heart God b l e s s y o u
  • [quote author=Slave link=topic=7522.msg99257#msg99257 date=1231878494]
    My friend read in corinthians and romans you will find the teaching of saint paul clear enouph to answer your concern, eat everything with thanks giving and faith and it is allright. it not what goes in the stomach that make people bad, put all the bad thing they say and do because that comes from the heart God b l e s s y o u

Habibi, I am telling you that the verse in Acts where St Peter sees a sheet filled with different animals has nothing to do with anything about food.

I'm preparing the answer. Just be patient.
  • [quote author=axum link=topic=7522.msg99075#msg99075 date=1231372519]
    Elsi
    I am a little confused

Sorry Axum,
    I didn't mean to confuse. Just my musings in trying to figure out the answer to the 'what to eat....what not to eat question'.
    You know really I think people should just be true to themselves. Eat what they feel to eat. I think the main point is not to overeat or forget to give thanks for our meals.
    Hope u had a delicious Christmas Feast and many more to come.