incense

edited December 1969 in Coptic Orthodox Church
hey guys! i had a question for a while but i never got a chance to ask anyone... so here it is :)

is it wrong to own incense and put it in a shoria and enjoy the sweet smell of it at home???

i never thought it was wrong until i heard Abouna once say that no one is allowed to offer incense except a priest... does this mean in church? or anywhere??

the reason this is confusing is because i was in a monastery in Egypt and they were selling boxes of incense, shorias...
if this is wrong then why do they sell so many of it in the gift shops??

thanks in Advance,
Enough

Comments

• Very controversial. Many people will say it is wrong and many say it is alright. I have even heard different opinions from priests some saying it is okay and others saying it is wrong. My personal guess is that it depends on how it is being used. For example, swinging a shoria like abouna with incense inside of it is wrong while on the other hand, just enjoying the smell of it is okay. Other people might say both ways are wrong or both ways are okay.

My advice is just not to do it at all. Unless someone has written proof saying it is ok, I wouldnt do it to be on the safe side.

PK
  • I was thinking the monasteries sell incense so other churches can use them (not personal use). But then again sometimes we burn incense after making fish. This might be wrong, but I guess as long as you know what your using it for then its fine. If your intention behind burning incense is to bring the church feeling at home, then surely this is wrong... but I don't see what's wrong with using it just to get rid of a strong smell in the house... I may very well be wrong, please correct me if I am.
  • I was told by my FOC that monasteries sell incense so people can buy it and offer it during their own services. They cannot burn it themselves, but they can donate it to their church and have their priest offer it on their behalf.
  • wooow. but i really dont understand wats so wrong with it... the reason i bought the incense in the first place is because i love the smell of it and so that it can remind me of church... i really never knew that it was wrong to use at all :-\

• Exodus 30:37-38 : 37 But as for the incense which you shall make, you shall not make any for yourselves, according to its composition. It shall be to you holy for the LORD. 38 Whoever makes any like it, to smell it, he shall be cut off from his people.”
  • Woah I didn't know that verse existed, thanks SilentOne!
  • Well, there you have it. The Bible says that it is wrong. Confess and stop doing it.