Daf... I think i need help.

Hey, me and my brother are attempting to learn how to play the daf... we think we're alright but we want to become better. Does anyone have any videos on it? I couldn't find any... Thanks in Advance

Comments

• do you know the alhan? when you know the alhan then learn the def. it is used for keeping beat not for a show. a simple beat is more than enough, if it is played in an over enthusiastic way it distracts. but again learn the alhan, then the def. either way the def should only be played by the leader of the congregation since he is the one leading them in the praise he is the one who will know the beat best
  • [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7479.msg98714#msg98714 date=1229995202]
    do you know the alhan? when you know the alhan then learn the def. it is used for keeping beat not for a show. a simple beat is more than enough, if it is played in an over enthusiastic way it distracts. but again learn the alhan, then the def. either way the def should only be played by the leader of the congregation since he is the one leading them in the praise he is the one who will know the beat best

I dont know about that, in my church everyone who knows how to play the daf is allowed to play it. In fact we pass it around after each hymn so everyone plays it and contributes to the worship. If they dont know the hymn but know how to play than we still give it to them so they participate in the worship, in psalm 150 we sing "Praise him with pleasent sounding cymbals". Even the playing of the cymbals alone when done for God is a form of worship.

Ofcourse the Hymns are way more important to know than to know how to play the daf, but this whole thing about only letting the "leader" play is nonsense. In the early churches there was no "leader" deacons, the hymns were sung by the entire congregation, the deacons would generally serve in the altar with the priest. We have added this tradition of having deacons stand outside and lead the hymns only because people now a day dont take the time to learn the hymns and they must be sung, so we get deacons who know the hymns to "lead"
  • [quote author=Meena_Ameen link=topic=7479.msg98716#msg98716 date=1229995666]
    [quote author=Hisservant link=topic=7479.msg98714#msg98714 date=1229995202]
    do you know the alhan? when you know the alhan then learn the def. it is used for keeping beat not for a show. a simple beat is more than enough, if it is played in an over enthusiastic way it distracts. but again learn the alhan, then the def. either way the def should only be played by the leader of the congregation since he is the one leading them in the praise he is the one who will know the beat best

I dont know about that, in my church everyone who knows how to play the daf is allowed to play it. In fact we pass it around after each hymn so everyone plays it and contributes to the worship. If they dont know the hymn but know how to play than we still give it to them so they participate in the worship, in psalm 150 we sing "Praise him with pleasent sounding cymbals". Even the playing of the cymbals alone when done for God is a form of worship.

Ofcourse the Hymns are way more important to know than to know how to play the daf, but this whole thing about only letting the "leader" play is nonsense. In the early churches there was no "leader" deacons, the hymns were sung by the entire congregation, the deacons would generally serve in the altar with the priest. We have added this tradition of having deacons stand outside and lead the hymns only because people now a day dont take the time to learn the hymns and they must be sung, so we get deacons who know the hymns to "lead"

The whats the purpose of an apsaltos?
  • In the original rites the Psaltos is not part of the deaconate...therefore having no purpose except to sing WITH the congregation
  • I know a lot of the hymns that we sing throughout service... I have a simple beat down, and I think I elaborated on it a little bit. My main problem is keeping in pace with the hymns as they randomly slow down and speed up.
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7479.msg98736#msg98736 date=1230069023]
    I know a lot of the hymns that we sing throughout service... I have a simple beat down, and I think I elaborated on it a little bit. My main problem is keeping in pace with the hymns as they randomly slow down and speed up.

Well thats the point of the cymbals, to KEEP the beat
  • Can they be bought in church-shops? I would like to own a pair...

God bless you
    Please pray for my weakness
  • Well I've yet to see them sold outside of Egypt I got mine from a monastery a while back