litergy help...

Can anyone plz explain the order of the mass and the reason we do it? for example what is the anaphora, the epiclesis, etc.... I would also like to know, what is the diffrence between the masses of St Cyril, St Basil, and St Gregory.

thank you and pray for me

Comments

• I can answer one of your questions. The mass of St. Basil is directed to God the Father, The mass of St. Gregory is directed to God the Son, and the Mass of St. Cyril or St. Mark (either one) is directed to God the Holy Spirit. That's what I've learned anyway...
  • [quote author=coptmorous link=topic=7481.msg98709#msg98709 date=1229990892]
    I can answer one of your questions. The mass of St. Basil is directed to God the Father, The mass of St. Gregory is directed to God the Son, and the Mass of St. Cyril or St. Mark (either one) is directed to God the Holy Spirit. That's what I've learned anyway...
    NO be careful the Liturgy of St Cyril/ St Mark is also God the father, NO liturgy is directed to the Holy Spirit, but we can't have a liturgy without HIS involvement.
  • Ok thanks for the correction...
  • well i still need help on the other stuff  >:( but thank you because that was a question i forgot to add in
  • Out of curiosity, what time do you go to church. If you don't know can you tell us the part of the liturgy?
  • The Liturgy of St.Mark is traditonaliy prayed during Lent and the Apostels Fast.The Liturgy of St.Gregory is prayed on feasts and occasions. The Liturgy of St.Basil is the most famous and frequently used.
  • Okay, so let me get this straight:

Liturgy of St. Basil, St. Cyril/Mark ==> God the Father
    Liturgy of St. Gregory ==> God the Son

I think I remember hearing there was a liturgy directed to the Holy Trinity, am I right?

The Liturgy of St.Mark is traditonaliy prayed during Lent and the Apostels Fast.The Liturgy of St.Gregory is prayed on feasts and occasions. The Liturgy of St.Basil is the most famous and frequently used.

Thanks for that! So is it always like this, or for eg, can the Liturgy of St. Basil be prayed during Lent?
  • [quote author=sodr2 link=topic=7481.msg104696#msg104696 date=1247771122]
    Okay, so let me get this straight:

Liturgy of St. Basil, St. Cyril/Mark ==> God the Father
    Liturgy of St. Gregory ==> God the Son

I think I remember hearing there was a liturgy directed to the Holy Trinity, am I right?

The Liturgy of St.Mark is traditonaliy prayed during Lent and the Apostels Fast.The Liturgy of St.Gregory is prayed on feasts and occasions. The Liturgy of St.Basil is the most famous and frequently used.

Thanks for that! So is it always like this, or for eg, can the Liturgy of St. Basil be prayed during Lent?

actually the Saint Basil is one directed to all of them. Saint Gregory's towards the Son (even though it speaks of GOd in general as one), and Saint Cyril towards the father. Think of the "Have mercy part between the litanies. In Saint Basil, even though it's not in the text, we say it 3 times for the 3 of the Trinity. In Saint Gregory's we say for the "Savior" the Son, and Saint Cyril we say "Pantpcrator", the Almighty Father.